Discussion Unpopular Opinion Anime!

Discussion in 'Anime' started by JoJo, Jun 21, 2018.

1. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Allright! So I thought this would be something nice and new. We all got our guilty pleasure anime, the anime that we think is good but others think is garbage or the anime from our childhood that aged like milk, but we still put on a pedestal. And we all know this awesome meme, from back in the day right?

So basically, we just say something about the anime, we like, but you think the majority of the masses (or on this forum) didn't. Hence making it an unpopular opinion! Let's make it interesting though...and let us, the Sakuga Citizens, explain why we like it! *HUGE APPLAUSE EMERGES FROM THE STANDS!*

I'll start...

[​IMG]

BTOOOM! (2012)

Soooo when I first starting watching this show, I knew little about it. It was recommended to me cause I liked (read loved, nah scratch that...love) Mirai Nikki so much. I watched all 12 episodes in 1 or maybe 2 days. Was blown (pun intended) away by it. Then went on the interwebs to search more on this series. Maybe an OVA or a continuing Manga. After stumbling across some negative reviews and a lot of bashing on the shows "sexual tropes" etc. I thought to myself well...it didn't bother me that much, and I actually think that it gave a pretty good representation of what a game like that would look in real life. Sure it's a bit over the top here and there...but come on, you're typical anime isn't?

As I am re-watching it as of late, and i'm about a quarter in again. I am maybe even loving it the same or more than I did then. Himiko and Sakamoto we're amazing lead characters, and the side characters/'villains" are also an interesting lot.

Now when I peeped the score on MAL it says something like a 7.5. But I remember it being a six or something around that time. To me it's def a 8. And I want another season, cause the ending is paramount. And I still can't cope with the ending they gave me.
    [​IMG]

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Oh btoom was great. Im not much into survival stories or gore but this just worked.

Since it was video game based i loved it. It was definitely one of those what would you do feelings. It was over the top as you mentioned but well done. The characters popped and weren't one dimensional, well the ones that had any screen time.

Basically mix sao ordinal scale (since btoom is in reality not a game) and predator (the Schwarzenegger original) and you got btooom.

I have soooooooooooo many guilty pleasure animes :D ill focus on one here:

Aesthetica of a rogue hero

I want more of it but alas no. Yes its an ecchi action series and thats why i love it. Save the girl save the planet. No complications. I should watch it again as i dont remember much else. I did rewatch the beach episode relatively recently :D

JoJo likes this.
  3. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

I find Agent Aika hilarious to watch, despite the fact that it's straight up trash.

Oh Snape and JoJo like this.
  4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Gotta go with Gangsta. The wild characters, the wayward setting, the different factions and the soundtrack was what made it an exciting one for me. Granted it didn't have much to show for at the end with its sudden incomplete ending, but this anime had the potential to be something unique and great. It still has, if the author manages to continue the manga (which might improve chances for a 2nd season as well).

It generally gets a lot of slack for it's incomplete ending (prolly one of the worst cliffhangers in anime) and inconsistent animation, but boy did I fall in love with the crew.

JoJo likes this.
  5. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

MY GUY! That one I totally agree with. I think I even remember us both giving it our praises back on the forum that will not be spoken on. That anime was lackluster on some parts. But the soundtrack, character development (at least the main lead protagonists) and story overall was on point. Visually it was good IMO, certainly with the dub-step OST behind the scenes. I still listen to that one track with the flaregun/fireworks scene from time to time...and I don't even like that ish music:ROFLMAO:.

Wish they could've redeemed themselves to the masses with another season or a movie. Is the manga any good? My mind still wanders sometimes to that hooker girl...always find her fascinating some sort of way...wonder why
    [​IMG]

Agent Aika and Aesthetica of a Rogue Hero are added to the list! Thanks!

Will come up with another unpopular one shortly!

AND I MISPLACED THE THREAD IN THE MANGA SECTION INSTEAD OF THE ANIME SECTION! I AM SOOOOO SORRYYYY! CAN ANYBODY MOVE IT?

Kuze likes this.
  6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Is that the one with the gal in a mini skirt doing spy stuff? If thats the one they also had a live action ova that was hilarious. I have it on disc of its the one im thinking of.

And yourr welcome on aesthetica. Fyi KAMPFER and queens blade are other ecchi camp fun i can think of roght at the moment. Though queens blade does have serious story arc amongst its more zany side.

7. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

@JoJo Btooom! is still ongoing, I'm pretty sure there isn't enough material for another season though.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I never pick up ongoing/unfinished manga so I really can't tell you, plus because of the mangaka's recurring health issues, I don't see it reaching a conclusion anytime soon.

You could check out the first volume though, online or the physical copy from Viz.

9. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

JoJo likes this.
  10. Grungie

Contributor

Basically, the cinematography during the fight scenes are hilarious to get the perfect “action shot”, on top of them using tranquilizer guns instead of real ones.

The OVA’s kept the comedy gold, but I had a hard time believing some woman can fight on a sandy beach in high heels. That broke my suspense of disbelief.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Uhuh just like the boob phsyics of the dead or alive video game series :D (not that i know anything about that :D)

12. Grungie

Contributor

More like the fact that you can knee drop a girl from the top of a skyscraper and not turn into a pile of goo.

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ie looney toon physics :D

And i do have agent aika on disc! I just checked so that was the one i was thinking of :)

14. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Okay...so I gave you BTOOOM! but I think this one is really an unpopular opinion.

CROSS ANGE

Yes I actually liked this anime. I thought the backstory on Ange was pretty decent, her development throughout as well, certain side characters are interesting. Yes the dragons and the whole plot twists later on felt pretty forced and wasn't worked out well enough. But I stayed for Ange. Yes there is a lot of fanservice, yes there are elements of shock value (the rape scene in ep 1 or 2 I think) and yes the boy, who see has an eye on, has the character of a frozen fish stick and kills us with the same "ow i'm clumsy ima just fall on yo puttycat" and "o lordie I just fell on yo boobies" shtick over and over and over and over again...But I'm still here for Ange.
    [​IMG]

And the whole "Norma" and "Mana" stuff was pretty good. At least that they send the Norma away to the battlefield cause they are lesser or something like that, was pretty interesting. Not knowing it'll come back to bite them in the buttocks later on, but I digress.

I actually think this is a decent to good anime on the strength on Ange alone...come at me bruh!:mad:
    [​IMG]

And the visuals, and the OST are pretty good also! So if you like Ecchi and Mecha and some more Ecchi...give it a shot.

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Excellent jojo!

Maids vs butlers is a fun romp. Basically a training camp for the profession. Plenty of ecchi romcom in it:) got it on disc too.

16. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

I didn't expect to like Prince of Tennis, but I did. I don't know, maybe I've always had a secret need to see teenage boys trying hard to act straight by intensely playing a sport that uses the word 'love' as a scoring metric.