Historical Vinland Saga manga gets an anime adaptation by Wit Studio!

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Kerberos, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

It's just been announced that Makoto Yukimura (Planetes)'s Sprawling Viking epic Vinland Saga is getting an anime adaptation by Wit Studio. The studio behind massive anime successes such as Attack on Titan and The Ancient Magus Bride

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...aga-manga-gets-tv-anime-by-wit-studio/.129196

I could cry right now...I've been wanting an anime adaptation of this manga ever since I first started reading it five years ago. I've fantasised about an anime adaptation so much over the years but never thought it would actually happen and although I always imagined Studio Bones tackling the material Studio Wit might actually be an even better choice.

Words cannot describe how excited I am by this announcement. I've seriously never looked forward to an anime this freaking much...ever!

Now I just need an anime adaptation of Eden - It's an Endless World (by Production I.G.) and MPD Psycho (by Mappa) and I can die a happy man.

For those unfamiliar with this series here's my review of the first 16 volumes:
    https://www.sakugacity.com/ams/d-mail-manga-review-vinland-saga.18/

Announcement trailer:

Canned YumYum likes this.
  2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

And since I've revealed my (not so perverse) fantasies here anyway let me just sum up my dream stafflist for this anime:

And yes I'm assuming it's a 2-cour show. Because of course I am. This is my fantasy after all.

Director: Masahiro Ando (Sword of the Stranger, Blast of Tempest, Canaan)
    Series composition: Ichiro Okouchi (Planetes, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Devilman Crybaby)
    Music: Michiru Oshima (Fullmetal Alchemist, Blast of Tempest, Rokka - Braves of the Six Flowers)
    OP1: Nothing's Carved in Stone (Blast of Tempest OP1, Psycho Pass OP2)
    OP2: LiSa (Sword Art Online OP1, Fate/Zero OP1)
    ED1: Scandal (FMA: Brotherhood ED4)
    ED2: Galneryus (Hunter x Hunter ED2, Rainbow ED)

And yes I have thought about this...a lot...for a very long time. I can even hum the OP theme song I imagined Nothing's Carved in Stone would perform. That's how badly I've been wanting this to happen.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Cool.

Kerberos likes this.
  4. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Oooh, I never got around to reading the manga (besides the first chapter), but I've heard good things and it sounds like something I would enjoy. Looking forward to it!

Kerberos likes this.
  5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Hopefully it isn't as overrated as the manga.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

The best way I can describe Vinland Saga (in fewer words than I did in my review anyway) is as "Berserk but without the fantasy stuff".

And I know a lot of manga and anime have been compared to Berserk over the years (Claymore? Wtf?) but Vinland Saga is the ONLY anime that actually reminded me a lot of Berserk. By which I definitely do not mean to say it's a cheap knock off. More something that can almost stand toe to toe with Berserk. And this is before it gets really good and becomes its own thing. (though I doubt we'll get that far in this anime adaptation)

7. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

I like Wit. With the series they've produced so far (Shingeki no Kyojin, Ancient Magus Bride), I think they're going to become the go-to guys for ancient stories like this one.

On a semi-related note, today I learned the word 'viking' didn't actually start out as a noun. It was more used as a verb instead, which meant to leave home and seek your fortune elsewhere. Somewhere along the way, it got re-translated to describe dirty old men who went on ships to rape villages and pillage the womens. Also, women were apparently big shots in viking communities, and many vikings started out as farmers. That last bit makes a lot more sense in Vinland's context, once you consider the way it transformed into Farmland Saga over time.

Oh Snape likes this.
  8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Me thinks you're way behind in the manga ;)

9. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Yeah, I dropped it when people started farming. Haven't picked it back up since.

10. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

While I personally LOVED the Farmland Saga as you call it I can understand why it became a turn off over time. It's less of a grand adventure and more of an inner journey of self discovering for Thorfinn and him trying to reassess what his values and purpose in life truly is. I always felt it was the moment the series crawled out from under the massively imposing shadow of Berserk and became its own thing and I personally felt it was all the better for it. In the "farmland saga"Thorfinn grows from a violent avenger ala Guts into a truly strong and memorable protagonist in his own right. (not that Guts isn't a strong and memorable protagonist but Guts is Guts and we don't need another Guts)

That being said if action is what you're looking for know that the "Farmland Saga" ends in one of the most gory, disturbing and utterly heartbreaking bloodbaths ever commited to paper. A battle so gutwrenching it would give George RR Martin pause.

And after, starting in with volume 15 it's less "farmland saga" and more "adventure on the high seas" as Yukimura finally decided to put the peddle to the metal and the series actually becomes a "Vinland Saga"

So yeah...methinks it's time to catch up.

11. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Manga creator Makoto Yukimura posted a photo of his 21st Vinland Saga manga volume which revealed the 2019 premiere for the manga's television anime adaptation.

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I am both super happy and a bit sad. One the one hand IT'S ACTUALLY HAPPENING!!!! On the other hand...against all better judgement I was still hoping for a fall release. I don't know if you've taken a look at the fall schedule yet but...unless we get some super promising shows fall 2018 is promising to be the most abysmal anime season in years.

Here's hoping we get Vinland Saga in winter 2019 to make up for it.

13. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

14. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

15. Canned YumYum

Canned YumYum Tinyhands McSchnuffin
    Founder

I haven't read the manga in a while either, but I'm very happy to read about this. Been a fan for a couple of years, I'm really excited for this.

16. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Staff for the show is as follows:

Director: Shuhei Yabuta (Inuyashiki Last Hero director, Attack on Titan 3D director)

Script supervision: Hiroshi Seko (Banana Fish, Ajin - Demi-Human) with Kenta Ihara (Saga of Tanya the Evil).

Character design: Takahiko Abiru (Hunter × Hunter animation director)

#16 Kuze, Aug 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  17. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

The anime's first promotional video was streamed. Plus new visual:

[​IMG]
    [/spoiler

18. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Pretty much that.

19. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

The anime's second promotional video was streamed. It reveals more cast members, the anime's 24-episode length, and the July 6 streaming premiere.

Oh Snape likes this.
  20. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

That looks good and fast paced.