Drama Violet Evergarden

Discussion in 'New In Japan' started by Novaire, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

[​IMG]
    Violet Evergarden

Genre: Drama, Fantasy, Science Fiction

Studio: Kyoto Animation

Source: Light Novel

Air Date: January 10, 2018 (Japan), Spring 2018 (Worldwide)

Synopsis

A certain point in time, in the continent of Telesis. The great war which divided the continent into North and South has ended after four years, and the people are welcoming a new generation.

Violet Evergarden, a young girl formerly known as “the weapon”, has left the battlefield to start a new life at CH Postal Service. There, she is deeply moved by the work of “Auto Memories Dolls”, who carry people's thoughts and convert them into words.

Violet begins her journey as an Auto Memories Doll, and comes face to face with various people's emotions and differing shapes of love. There are words Violet heard on the battlefield, which she cannot forget. These words were given to her by someone she holds dear, more than anyone else. She does not yet know their meaning but she searches to find it.

(Source: Anime News Network)

PV

Violet Evergarden will debut on the Japanese Netflix service in January with a worldwide release to follow in the Spring.

#1 Novaire, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

God, I hope some samaritan fansubber picks this up. Else we gotta wait till spring. Gotta go the Ajin route again.

3. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I hear ya. Really excited for this one.

This is pure speculation, but I'm thinking that Netflix may have chosen the spring release date so that they didn't have to release the series episodically. They've done that before with some originals before in the US, but it hasn't been a common practice, nor has it been particularly popular. Based on the timing, it seems like it'll drop worldwide just after the series has wrapped up its television run in Japan.

4. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Yeah, pretty much. I know it's a part of their operation model but they should just do it with Netflix original anime.

5. Sora Senpai

Sora Senpai The Ecchi King
    Contributor Gold Founder

Episode 1...wow. I mean I knew what I was getting into with Kyoani but WOW!!!

Really excited to see where the story goes.

This freaking BGM THOUGH!!!

6. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

You can catch Violet Evergarden on Netflix from the 11th Jan in Canada and UK. For the rest of us unfortunate souls, God bless Asen...I mean, you should know by now. Winter doesn't seem all that average now. With this and Kokkoku, I guess we can end up with one good show this season.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I just watched the first episode on Netflix. It seems like it could be interesting, so will watch a couple more as they come out.

Although, in the beginning, I wasn't sure whether this girl was a cyborg, or a brainwashed child soldier. I think it's probably the latter. It's still not clear, and perhaps it's deliberate.

8. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

Violet and Benedict made me laugh so hard in this episode.
    "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE?"
    "She's Erica" LOL

Then when Benedict was trying to get the reception girls to eat with him and the only one who would was the deliver man, those tears in his eyes had me crying tears of laughter lol.

Oh okay I like the flirting going on with Cattleya and Hodgins. Though why Hodgins wouldn't oblige to her is freaking mind boggling.

Benedict watching those two was pretty funny as well lol.

Oh god...the months rent...THE BROOCH!!!

9. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Violet Evergarden Opening Full - "Sincerely" by TRUE

Violet Evergarden Ending Full - "Michishirube" by Minori Chihara

#9 Kuze, Jan 30, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2018
  10. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

So it seems like Violets growth when it comes to understanding Love will come from those around her. makes sense. Her development ha been really good so far, and I am really looking forward to her developing more and more.

Aww man I almost teared up when the Major gave her the name Violet T_T

I still laugh at how blunt she is though lol.

11. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Think Cattleya was purposely teasing Benedict by getting all mushy with Hodgins, knowing full well Benedict was watching, or maybe Hodgins and Cattleya do love each other, Cattleya being the more direct of the two. But the way they argue I feel like Benedict and Cattleya look more like a couple. Anyway, that's enough insight from me on that.

Yeah she's a human. But she was brainwashed before even joining the army. Brainwashed or grew up in a very violent childhood. At least that's what it seems upto the latest episode.

[​IMG]

Finally got time to race through the first six episodes. It feels like a very traditional old-school josei anime in terms of story. Or more like a sister show to Kino's Journey if I might add. Not sure whether we'll get a deeper look into Violet's past. I hope we do though.

Also wonder what happens when Violet learns of the Major's true predicament. At least that's what they have been hinting at all this time, right? That he's...

Plus the ending to episode 5 was so abrupt. I thought they were going somewhere with the Major's brother and Violet's encounter. But the 6th episode cut to another standalone episode. That felt a bit off. Maybe they'll carry that forward to a later episode. It's been enjoyable so far, but I didn't expect it to be so light. Positive, romantic feels rain nonetheless.

12. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

To be able to make you get emotional through 10 minutes of a character and his backstory. Well done.

My lord though this episode was truly amazing. Violet running on the leaves was such a good scene.

Her emotions are coning out now. The scene on the boat was really good.

Damn that sucks that Violet had to find out about the Major that way. That was rough.

I liked the ending where there were simply no words.

13. Sora Senpai

Contributor Gold Founder

This anime is freaking amazing. Like my god everything Violet is going through. SHE WENT TO THE DAMN CASTLE!!!

Shit man that's crazy. Then her melt down when she basically tried to strangle herself made me shoot up and be like "No...NO DONT DO IT!!!!"

The freaking music too, my god amazing.

The character development for everyone is flawless. They even managed to make the old man relevant as well, with him being all wise.

Everything finally came back together. The prince and princess had ALL THE LETTERS!!! SO GOOD!

My one concern is if the anti-peace people were there just for Violets sake or if we will actually see some development from that. Im intrigued.

basically a flawless episode.

14. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Need to binge the 2nd half. Pretty much forgot about the show after that Astronomy Tower episode.

15. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

For those in the US who haven't figured it out yet or are waiting to watch Violet on Netflix only, they're listing an April 5 premiere date in the United States.

16. ~Anime&Progr~

~Anime&Progr~ Newbie

Funny I just finished watching the 9 episodes that are out a couple of days ago :p

@Kuze does this mean further episodes will also be released on anime streaming sites?

17. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Nah, Violet Evergarden is Netflix exclusive. It can be streamed only on Netflix. Not taking into consideration illegal streaming sites though.

18. ~Anime&Progr~

~Anime&Progr~ Newbie

TBH who even streams anime legally haha

#18 ~Anime&Progr~, Mar 16, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 25, 2018
  19. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

Adults do.

20. ~Anime&Progr~

~Anime&Progr~ Newbie

Not all of them do haha.