Sci-Fi Voltron: Legendary Defender

Discussion in 'Western Animation' started by Shannon Apple, Jun 11, 2016.

1. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

The next set of episodes is June 15th.

I enjoyed this season personally. The writing felt better paced than the past couple seasons, though still kind of off. Some of the plot threads that were mostly ignored last season are coming up again, finally. A certain someone seems to be getting and arc, and I hope it's actually developed and that it doesn't become a "gotcha you were wrong" moment and all progress is jettisoned out a window.

I was overall satisfied with the development of characters who haven't gotten that privilege in previous seasons. Needs more Bii Boh Bi though.

2. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Dreamworks began streaming a trailer for the sixth season. The season will premiere on Netflix on June 15.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

DreamWorks Animation Television is streaming a trailer for the seventh season of Voltron: Legendary Defender. The 13-episode seventh season will premiere on Netflix on August 10.

In extra news, the staff has announced at Comic-Con International: San Diego that the series will end with the eighth season. The season will have 13 episodes and it will premiere before the end of the year.

4. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

It's not really news to be honest about the ending. We all knew that the series has a 78 episode commitment. :p

Was really supposed to be six 13 episode seasons and then they went and split two of them to get episodes out faster.

5. ALToxicity

There was an sdcc exclusive trailer that showed different footage from the one the rest of us got, but I can't find a good video of it.

The real question for season 8 is if they're going to release it close to the end of season 7, as season 7 is close to the end of 6, or if it'll get a few more months. Since it is the final season, I'm hoping they give it the production time it needs.

6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

With something like Voltron, I'm sure there's some overlap since they have several directors and writers. That's how they're able to churn them out so fast. Although, I do agree with you. The last season is the one that needs to really hit all the notes. The quality hasn't taken a nose dive with season 6, in fact, I'd even argue that it might have been the best season so far. If they keep up that momentum, there's nothing to worry about ^^.

7. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

My primary concern is that we get a satisfying end and it looks like this show will deliver. Even at its weakest Voltron is way above average in terms of writing and visuals so it deserves a solid send-off.

Some of the stuff in season 6 was really forced and silly, but even that stuff was done super well and I forgave it almost immediately. That bit with Keith and his mom going through a time-warp thing-a-ma-jig in order to reveal her past was super corny. But at the same time it allowed for show-don't-tell, which for a show aimed at a younger audience (that us adults are latching onto) is pretty admirable. I appreciate the effort.

8. ALToxicity

After seeing season 7, I think 13 episodes is too much, at least for the amount of key info they put out. Some of the season felt like a slog to get through, and other parts were great.

9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I actually enjoyed the season. Watched the last of it last night. There were a couple of episodes that were kinda silly, but didn't mind them so much.

The Voltron fandom are disgusting though. What is it with western animations and toxic fanbases, holy shit. There are this whole subset of them who are "Klance" shippers. They want a gay relationship between Keith and Lance. That isn't going to happen. From day one, Lance has always been secretly in love with Allura (or not so secretly). He's clearly not gay. He's way too into women, even if he's incredibly awkward about it. lol. For anyone who hasn't seen the season yet, I won't spoil, but one character does turn out to be gay. It was done right in my honest opinion. In real life, when you meet people in certain positions/jobs etc, you generally don't meet their partners right away. I know it's happened where I didn't know someone I worked with was gay until a party where the partner was introduced. It's not always dangled in front of your face like "Oh here's our token gay person." Workmates often don't talk much about their personal lives unless you're really close. Voltron introduced it in a realistic way. It fitted smoothly into the show as if it wasn't a big deal at all. We got to briefly meet a partner waiting back home as you'd expect from military life.

They went mad when they didn't get what they wanted and are attacking and threatening the creators. Why are the fans so fucking entitled. Just watch it for what it is.

10. KT Samurai

Cartoons fans have been exceptionally garbage lately, yes. That shouldn't detract from the legit criticism of how Voltron handled these characters, though.

11. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Star Trek Discovery is the only show that I can think of who actually handled the introduction of a gay couple in a way that wasn't condescending. We meet the characters, have no idea that they're gay, in fact you're not even thinking about relationships at the point, then you're like "oh" when you see that toothbrush scene. I love the way they did that. It felt so natural. In fact, they're the only relationship I've been hoping for a happy outcome for in that show so far. Those who have been watching know what happened.

Romantic relationships haven't been at the forefront of Voltron, and especially not with major characters. It has been a lot less so than something like Discovery. The only time we see it come close among our principle characters is with Allura and Lotor. I really don't get why they're so nuts about it. Most people, myself included, aren't watching this particular show for the romance. It's not a romantic show.

Besides lol, Lance is that guy. Every woman knows one. The guy that has a crush on you, not exclusively though, he has several obvious crushes to keep his options open, follows you around at parties and is so annoying that most girls run at the mere mention of his name. XD.

12. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Klance shippers dont see lance as gay, they see him as bi, you know that sexuality where you can bat for either team. Its a real thing my dudes.
    also i really really dont want to see him be alluras rebound, that would be fucking sad, especially after he seems to have come to terms with the fact it wont ever happen, even though there was that whole weird ass blushing scene, like that came the fuck out of nowhere. I love veronica though and I better see more of her in season 8.

The gameshow ep was too funny.

[​IMG]

I really wish the writers treated lance better though, hes really just the persona chariot at this point and im pretty over it. (ryuji/yosuke/junpei deserved better)
    But hey we finally got some decent development for hunk, it only took 7 seasons (¯―¯٥)

13. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Yeah I'm totally stupid and don't know what bi is. That's not the point. He's NOT bi. Any idiot can see that from the way his character behaves. If he was, he wouldn't just want to be close to every somewhat hot female character. He'd be cosying up to the guys too. That is, since he can be kinda stalkerish about the whole thing. If they went and turned him bi now, it would be really dumb.

I had a Lance in my life. When I was dating a guy, the Lance moved on with someone else. 2 years later, I'm newly single, he's been single for a while and he thinks he's in with a chance. He went so far as accidentally dumping a whole pint of beer over me at event because he was drunk and buzzing around me like a friggen fly the whole night. I was sitting at a table and he was hovering over me. I'm there covered in beer, and I'm not happy, so told him to "fuck off." He slinked away, but didn't give up on buzzing around me at future events. He's finally moved on years later and got married. I pretty much went as far as telling his friend that I didn't and wouldn't ever like him in that way and only seen him as a friend. So yeah, totally plausible Lance. XD.

All of that said, it'd be weird if they put Lance and Allura together. Considering that she finds him annoying XD.

14. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

I dunno, I like girls way more than guys and im a useless mess around them, doesnt mean Im not intrested, I just dont always know how to get that ball rolling, theres not a lot out there to go on. Being bi also manifests in differant ways. I can absolutely see with how the characters are written and with what the VAs like to bait at literally every panel, that some fans would totally see klance as a slow burn endgame.
    I mean look at korrasami lol

15. ALToxicity

I personally don't mind klance or any of the other popular ships. Someone shouldn't have to stick to whatever can be justified at all times in canon for their ships if they don't want to, as that just kind of sucks the fun out of it. I don't see how Lance can't possibly be bi because he prefers women, bi people can lean more to one gender than another.

The fandom reaction to a certain occurrence to a certain character announced on the twitter as being someone we'd meet, when that didn't get to happen, was wild and terrible and they shouldn't be literally threatening Dreamworks and the writing staff and voice actors. That doesn't mean they shouldn't be upset, there is a legitimate reason underneath the rage, and there are quite a few people discussing it outside the vocal, angry minority.

16. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I can't get past the fact that it's all really dumb. When you're watching a movie and there are a couple of possible interests, you kinda have some hopes in your mind for who will end up together. Sometimes it goes that way, sometimes not. I can totally get the idea of wishing two characters together. That's normal to have your personal preferences or ideals for certain characters. But some of it is wishful thinking and might be totally ridiculous in the context of the actual show. More a thing for the fanfic. What I can't get behind is how upset and ridiculous people can be over something that isn't even real. And ESPECIALLY since it's all likely pre-determined. This late in the game, I'm still sticking to my belief that if they do reveal another gay character in season 8, it won't be Lance.

All this shipping BS totally ruins show specific fandoms. I have been keeping well away from the Voltron fandom on social media because it's so insane and toxic. I only took an interest today when I read about the creators being threatened and even blackmailed. I know you guys are against this too. Just saying that this is the first time I've heard of all this Klance/ Kallura nonsense.

17. KT Samurai

Yeah, this being your first experience with toxic fandom shippers must be quite the trip. I believe this is the worst it's ever gotten and it's shameful that many Voltron staffers got pulled into it via harassment and even threats (take it up with marketing, you losers). I'm glad we can universally condemn these dummies. But I also don't want the legitimate criticism to get lost in the noise.

Part of the issue for many is the idea that queerness needs to be justified in a story. As ALT and Pinky have already pointed out, it's still completely possible for Lance to be bi since many bisexual people do lean or even alternate their, for lack of a better term, preferences. In Brooklyn Nine-Nine, a central character was revealed to be bi after being on the show for years and spending a big chunk of it in a hetero-normative relationship and it worked just fine. It may not make sense to straight folks, most of whom need a justification for queerness, but to queer people it made so much sense that many saw themselves in that character.

We're used to stories being told a certain way by certain people (straight folks) so it pays to challenge ourselves from time to time and think about differing experiences.

Voltron is and has been setting up Lance and Allura as a couple for the finale so that shouldn't be surprising (in fact if they don't end up together I will be legit shocked). But if there's an off-hand remark or visual allusion to Lance being interested in or even dating men in the past that won't be strange to a lot of people.

18. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Just gonna leave this here (spoiler warning btw. If you haven't watched s7 yet don't play the video)

Fyi i don't actually agree with the vid but it's still intriguing

#98 wesleyv1, Aug 15, 2018 at 1:07 PM
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2018 at 4:22 PM
  19. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

I personally felt pretty damn baited.
    So much of the hype for the season revolved around it, and even official marketing imagery showed shiro and adam, with one even showing shiro with the pride flag for July. Thats not an accident.

Im really over the whole, yeah X character is gay, btw lets make their entire story about pain, loss, and dispair. Like jfc show me one fucking Shiro arc where hes not being beatend down emotionally or physically. Its pretty damn disheartening to see people like you struggle with no happy ending or even a break in sight. And then Adam is a walking "bury your gays" trope. Its painful to watch when the VAs and marketing kept telling us we "would be happy with the LGBT rep" in season 7.

No one deserves death threats, but jfc, they easily could have done better, especially when a 2 line redub for adam on the english 2 option erases ALL evidence of shiro being gay.

#99 Pinky The Blue Flamingo, Aug 15, 2018 at 2:03 PM
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2018 at 3:29 PM
  20. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Well, I was deliberately not naming the character for people who haven't seen it yet. I have been suspecting ever since the reveal that he's likely to have a happy ending with another character. Maybe not, but they seemed to be setting that one up too. Although it could just be platonic admiration between them.

@KT Samurai: Not my first experience exactly haha. I was out of the loop on Voltron purely because I shun the fandoms of most western shows (especially animations) on past experience. I never got involved, but reading the vitriol is enough to start making my own watching of a show unenjoyable. Rick and Morty fans are disgusting also. I'm sure I'm not the only one who's almost stopped watching something because of the fanbase. Now I don't read fan opinions, I just watch and enjoy it myself. :)

EDIT: And I watched that video. So they basically told people one thing, and did another. See that's different. It wasn't about the shipping at all, it was about the marketing over what was coming in season 7. Yep, I can see why that group of fans would be mad. We didn't see the "fiance" character at all much. They didn't even make it clear on screen that they were engaged despite creators saying that they were. It was all very vague. I didn't know about the prior baiting.

EDIT 2: The shippers are another bunch. They wanted Klance and apparently tried to hold the studio to randsom recently over leaked footage. There's a few things going on here.

And I find in a lot of these situations, the complete nutjobs who do the nasty crap, most of them don't even belong to the minority groups they are "defending." They are just looking for a cause to get shitty over.