Sci-Fi Voltron: Legendary Defender

Discussion in 'Western Animation' started by Shannon Apple, Jun 11, 2016.

1. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

To be fair to everyone else in the fandom, the person who held Studio Mir to ransom was someone who found the pics a fan, who was not involved, took and then proceeded to use that other person's photos to get Mir to bend. Mir is just the animation company, but the person doing the blackmailing was 15 so I don't think anything was thought through.

Voltron's fandom is just a classic case of a fandom full of minors who don't know any better and aren't being reigned in by older fans, some of whom are encouraging the behavior by participating in it themselves. It isn't so much a shipping problem as it is a fandom problem. Shipping just tends to be really popular in many fandoms.

On the topic of queerbaiting and burying your gays, it's definitely a combination of writing issues and marketing. It sounds like marketing got a hold of the first episode and just ran off of that without consideration for what might happen, and just hyped up getting to meet Adam like we were going to see actual relationship interactions. And that didn't happen so it felt like salt in the wound because they got people's hopes up. If that marketing decision hadn't happened, the reaction wouldn't be that bad. I think the real writing problem exists in them not giving us any reason to care about him, so it just feels like a shock value death or just more torture for Shiro, who is beaten down so often it's just sad to see.

2. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Personally i think they were always intending it to be subtle and it was but the fans read too much into it and were disappointed. Probably because they marketed it wrong but by just watching the show i think it was handled pretty well

3. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I guess I'll stick in a spoiler:

Yeah, honestly, I feel that's often the case, wesley. Watching it, as I had, without any outside influence, or prior knowlege of season 7's direction, I saw almost nothing wrong with that portrayal. From what I understood of it, he had a significant other, they had the "don't expect me to be here when you get back" argument, so essentially broke up. Would have expected the SO to have moved on either way after not hearing from him after 3 years. The chances of a continued relationship were slim.

For our main characters, it wasn't 3 years though. For them only a short time had passed, so really, he should have felt a lot more over the loss of someone he had loved, at least until recently. That definitely confused the hell out of me while watching it. Those kind of feelings don't just vanish overnight. Even if there were no romantic feelings anymore, he'd still care a lot about him and be a lot more upset.

Having said all that, definitely glad they didn't part on "madly in love" terms. Imagine that he returns to Earth and finds his SO married or engaged to someone else. How soul destroying would that be?

4. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

The final season will premiere on Netflix on December 14.

5. ALToxicity

I've seen photos and videos of the NYCC exclusie trailer and it looks like we'll actually get some combat. I hope the finale season goes all out.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

A new trailer for the final season was streamed. The 13-episode season will premiere on Netflix on December 14.

7. ALToxicity

The trailer is vague in the kind of ways that make me think it wants me to be afraid that everyone is gonna die. I feel like that tree thing with Allura and that scene of Matt jumping into explosions is setting them up as potential deaths.

It would be pretty wild though if they kill of Allura at the last possible moment, though.

8. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

I doubt they'd kill off anyone from the main cast. I mean, it is voltron.