What anime are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by cberg, May 23, 2016.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Argh im all done for this season! I think highschool dxd and galactic heroes are my only potential carryovers.

I have to find at least three shows for the new season. I need a comedy (slapstick or romcom but no grossout or snl type comedy please), an action series and a slice of life. Im accepting recommendations now :)

2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

You might find it interesting to learn then that mecha isn't really a single genre. Rather it's a vague term used to desrcibe two vastly different sub-genres: super-robot anime and real-robot anime.

Super-robot is the more widely known genre and for many people the reason they can't get into mecha. It's a genre that has existed since the early 60s with the first being Tetsujin 28-go. These shows are typified by their sense of cool rather than their internal logic or worldbuilding. They generally feature a hero in his ridiculously souped up mech fighting against monsters to save the human race. While not all super-robot shows fall under this catagory the most important aspect is that they forgo technobabble and complex plotting in favor of action and cool looking robots. A recent example of a show in this genre is Tengan Toppa Gurren Lagann.

Real-robot shows on the other hand are really just a subset of military sci-fi but with an emphasis on robotics. In these shows internal logic is everything. The tech is realistic and believable and the world is clearly defined through extensive world building. The series that pioneered this genre was the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam. While the show is terribly dated by today's standards at the time it was revolutionary. Gone were the souped up mechs and instead we got spaceships and military mechs with well explained mechanical features. No longer were the protagonists fighting against monsters but suddenly they were fighting against other humans who, more ofthe tha not, were not evil villains, but just regular people who happened to ahve ended up on the other side of the conflict the protagonists became embroiled in. Rich in social-criticism and philosophy Gundam became the template for what a real-robot show should be.

Iron Blooded Orphans is definitely one of the more hard-boiled real-robot shows though evne for Gundam standards. Almost every Gundam makes use of the plot-element of supernaturally embued individuals who can interface with these Gundam-suits on an intiuitive level. Starting with the original Gundam where they were called Newtypes. Iron Blooded Orphans completely does away with that aspect if favor of a much more realistic approach where kids are forced to undergo a horrifying surgery that leaves many crippled and mentally scarred for life, Only thos who can withstand this appaling method can interface with the mech's controlsystem (titled the Alaya Vinyanna system) but do so at the cost of their own physical and mental stability. It's just one example of how Iron Blooded Orphans takes the realism of the gUndam franchise to a whole new level. The themes of social inequality and the dangers of using tech beyond our understanding as well as the question of what defines a society which are all common tropes in the Gundam universe are all brought to the fore and the main characters are not well intentioned people who just happned to be thrust into this conflic but cold blooded killers who've known nothing but violence and poverty throughout their lives. If the sillyness of super-robot shows is what turned you off mecha this is an excellent show to change your mind.

Matemar likes this.
  3. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

@Kerberos

Damn, I knew there were totally different mecha anime, but this was really informative. (y)

However, it's not just about the super-robot, I just don't like mecha, there is no logic or anything, I don't know myself why it's such a turn off. I have a hypothesis on why I dislike it, but I'm not really sure. I'm definitely going to force myself into watching Iron Blooded Orphans cause it sounds really interesting. Maybe it will even get me into the other mecha anime I missed out on.

Are there any other Gundam series I need to watch before it?

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

You might give argento soma a try for dipping your toe in mecha. Its very moody and emotional. Yes theres mecha and a super giant robot. But its not your typical young boy finds out he alone can save the world plot.

Not forcing it on you. Just giving you some options if youre looking to break into mecha.

5. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Nae Lupin this week, so decided to resume my rewatch of The Dirty Pair instead. It's never occurred to me to wonder before whether the animation in this is so good because Sunrise were determined to one-up TMS's work on Space Adventure Cobra.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Nope, Iron Blooded Orphans is a completely standalone show. Gundam does have its own incredibly convoluted multi-series spannign narative in the form of the UC-Timeline (which I'm not going to get into or else I end up tyiping another massive wall of text) but that only comes in the form of movies and OVAs these days. Any series in the Gundam franchise from the mid-90s onward are standalone shows that each take place in their own universes and really don't have anything to do with the UC-Timeline

Matemar likes this.
  7. DcRising

DcRising New Member

I just got completely caught up on both Haikyuu and Food Wars. I also finished Megalo Box earlier this week and Seven Deadly Sins S2 this morning. I am looking for some new stuff to watch. Got AoT returning next week and the first episode of Hanebado! just released so I am going to give that a watch later today.

If anyone has any recommendations for the upcoming summer shows throw em out because I am looking for a few more shows to watch.

8. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Summer lineup looks a bit slim to be honest. But give Banana Fish a shot if you fancy crime thrillers.

9. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Now that it's turned up on Netflix, I thought I'd give Fate/Extra: Last Encore a shot.

I know this one didn't get the best reception from those who watched it while it was airing, but I kind of like it? It feels exactly how you'd expect Shaft adapting a handheld Fate game to turn out, with its obstruse dialogue, weird camera angles and oddball visual effects, but I rather appreciate that - I think it has a more distinctive, unusual flavour than the likes of Fate/Apocrypha, which might as well have been A.N. Other Fighting Show.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Ok im limiting myself to five this season. 9 was too much last season. Here we go:

Steins gate 0
    Harukana receive
    How not to summon a demon lord
    Island
    Music girls

I think ill try to catch up on a few series ive wanted to start. Ill have to browse my list again to pick one. However i think ill start by finishing kamen no maid guy :) probably not till the weekend though.

11. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

I'm going to be watching Hinamatsuri next.

Kerberos likes this.
  12. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

[A-hem] sword art online.... everyone around me told.me not to watch it... my husband threated my with divorce papers even! Episode 16 and kind of like it. And guess what? Still married ....

13. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Probably overdoing it at seven, but I'll also probably drop two of them to make a more manageable five.
    Steins Gate 0, this is number one must see. Something like 24 eps so we're half way into it now.
    How Not to Summon a Demon Lord, one of those fun fantasy/comedy stuck-in-a-game type shows.
    Island, I'm having a little trouble wrapping my head around this one. The characters don't seem to be able to stay focused, what's important now is suddenly forgotten ten minutes later to be replaced by some other issue. I hope they can straighten this out.
    Soul Eater, an older show that I found vol. 1 of the manga and it looked like a fun show to watch.
    Overlord, saw some discussion on this and liked the sound of it. Season 3 is currently airing, I'm on the first one playing catch up.
    The Master of Ragnarok & Blesser of Einherjar, this is probably one that gets dropped. The show is all over the place and started off like you should already know what's going on in the story. If it doesn't get organized soon it's out.
    Cells at Work, no, this doesn't work for me, cells that look like people? Nah, I just want red blood cell and white blood cell to hook up after work and get it on.

14. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

I'm going with Kino no Tabi next. I'll watch both versions, starting with the older one of course.

15. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

You're in for some massive emotional whiplash then. The first is a deeply thought provoking philosophically engaging socio-political work of art masqueradimg as a highly entertaining fantasy adventure with a unique artstyke and a gorgeous soundtrack.

The second...is just Kino shooting some people and then credits.
    (Oh yeah some guy with a dog shows up)

The second is actually the more faithful adaptation but given that the first was directed by the director of SE: Lain and written by the writer of incredible anime such as Mononoke, Rahxephon, Boogiepop Phantom and every Satoshi Kon anime it's not hard to see how, in this case, the adaptation turned out far better than the original work.

16. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

I kinda saw it coming...

I watched only the 1st episode for now, and I already miss the old series.

17. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Dog and an orphan, don’t forget the orphan. The original sounds pretty good the way you describe it. Where can you find the original?

18. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

DVD. It's an old ADV set bit still available. It's literally the worst set I have with zero extras and too many eps jammed into each disc resulting in occasional visual hickups.

However it's not that expensive (like threy would dare) and the show itself more than makes up for it.

19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Griffmeister likes this.
  20. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

I ended up flipping a coin between Mononoke and Girls Last Tour, then, after I flipped Girls Last Tour I realized I would rather watch Mononoke, but I have to stay loyal to the coin flip.

So... Girls Last Tour it is.