What anime are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by cberg, May 23, 2016.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Good choice :)

Ive got a long weekend coming up so i might crack into my rec list that ive been neglecting lately.

2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Both are really good but in a very different way. If you want to watch a truly scary anime that explores the darkest sides of human society than Mononoke is right up your alley. But if you want a beautiful and incredibly thought provoking adventure that perfeclty ballances its delightfully cute protagonists with its bleak setting than Girls Last Tour is what you should watch.

3. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Like I said, I really wanted to watch Mononoke, but I can't betray the coin flip now.

4. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

To each their own of course but I've had instances where I realy wanted to watch one thing but ended up watching something else just because I'd already planned watching that and I ended up not enjoying it anywhere near as much as I would have had I watched it when I really wanted to. If you want to watch Mononoke, watch Mononoke and come back to Girls Last Tour when you feel like watching that.

Girls Last Tour is an aboslute gem of a show and in my opinion one of the best anime of this decade so you should watch it when you're in the right mindset for it and not rush through it to get to something else. That;s doing yourself and the show a major disservice.

5. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Picked up Watamote to continue my tradition of watching 2 series at the same time (with different atmospheres).

I do have Nichijou which I didn't finish, I'm stuck on episode 12. Nichijou just doesn't cut it for me, not sure if I should drop it or not. It has it's moments, but idk.

6. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I didn't like Watamote one bit. Felt far too mean spirited for my liking and as someone with social anxiety irl it felt very much like the show was ridicuing me and I've had my fair share of that in high school already. I much prefered March Lion's respectful and inspirational treatment of the condition or Welcome to the NHK's respectful and genuinely funny and heartwarming take on it.

7. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I watched 4 episodes already. I found it to be mostly funny.
    I guess it probably depends on the watcher. I myself, am very introverted, and I did go through some of those things myself. Not all of them though, and some not on that level.
    For instance, I've done (and still do) analyze various routes I can take to avoid people I am acquainted with. When they showed that on the episode I thought it was hilarious, because I know I do that, and I understand how ridiculous doing that actually is.
    I never really minded ridicule, even if it was aimed at me (Detroit Metal City for instance was taking shots at metalheads).
    At the same time, I was never truly ridiculed by anybody, I didn't go through what you have.

8. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Finally started watching Berserk, (the original one) after hearing so much about it my interest towards it was overflowing. Now after seeing 10 episodes I'm gonna predict that this will be easily in my top-5 shows of all time. I had anticipated what the show would be like, and my prediction was pretty accurate, but I had no idea that it would be so 'multi layered'. Really like the dark aesthetics, and then there are moments that feel just anxious, frightening, and scary actually. This show nails x100 times better the feeling of horror than some other crappy shows that try to be horror-shows. And I really like Guts, he actually feels like a real person. Even though he's a god-among-ordinary-men, he has that frightened little boy inside him, and there's clearly something wrong with him. In my opinion there seems to be nothing bad about this show so far. :sneaky:
    And just for comparison I watched one episode of 2016 Berserk. Wow, I can't believe how...bad it was. Those two aren't comparable at all. It seems like the new Berserk has nothing in it that makes the original good.

9. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Interesting comment. Personally I strongly dislike the 90s anime but that's because it diverges heavily from the manga (which I love) the 90s anime focusses much more on the action and fantasy aspects and less on the worldbuilding and politics. In terms of character development it's somewhat similar though the manga obviously goes in depth quite abit more due to not aviong the time constraints the anime had. (I belive they adapted the first four volumes of the manga in the first two episodes of the anime)

By comparisson, despite the godawful production values in terms of tone and feeling the 2016 anime is a lot more faithful to the manga. That being said, you really can't compare the two because unbeknownst to quite a few (the confusing titling really doens't help here) the 2016 anime is a sequel to the 90s anime. The 2016 anime adapts the first and second arc of the manga, where the 90s anime only adpats the prologue. And the thing is, the manga actually changes a lot in terms of style and narative structure after the prologue as well.

The prologue is very much like an epic fantasy story with intrigue, war and lots of worldbuilding. After the prologue the main premise of the series has been set up and it becomes more of a very dark DnD campaign. Guts and company arrive at a certain location, people there need their help, Guts helps them with whatever quest they have for him and his companions and by doing so advances the main plot a little bit further as well. Then the party moves on to the next place, rinse and repeat. It sounds boring but the world that Kentaro Miura created is so fascinating and so rich in lore that even though the main story slowed down to a snail's pace the series itself remains highly addictive (at least to me)

If you want to know more I highly recommend reading my review on the manga here I put a lot of time and effort into that one so if this kind of thing interests you I'd really appreciate your checking it out.

10. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Well I understand that, everyone has their personal preferences. I haven't read or seen any of the manga, and I had a very basic knowledge of the whole series when I started watching, so I'm pretty sure that affected positively on my experience. And it's kind of a unique show for me in a sense that I haven't seen much shows that are like Berserk.
    That's interesting. I watched also the 2016 Berserk, but didn't pay as much attention to it. There definitely was some kind of tone for it, but I think I was too distracted because of the production values, and it had this awkward feel to it. For example, one of the things was that the pacing of the dialogue felt weird. It felt there were quite a few of these weird 'can't quite put my finger on it' things, that made the show basically pretty bad in my opinion. That's really a shame 'cause after investigating a bit I realized this new one is a continuation of the older series, like you mentioned. I Would've loved to watch even more Berserk, but unless they step up their game, I can't watch it anymore further. :D
    No, to be honest that sounds intriguing. After the ending of the show, I started thinking what the world is gonna be like now? In the last episodes, that whole event felt like it was almost an apocalypse. And isn't the first episode actually after all the events have happened? Because in that first episode he was now that Black-swordsman. If they'd make a new series where it would feel like that first episode, I'd immediately start watching it. I guess they tried to do that with the new one, but IMO they feel completely apart from each other.
    Oh yes I can check that out. Maybe I'll make some tea or coffee and smoke a cigarette or two while reading it. :D Really concentrate and read it with time and care.

11. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Against my better judgement, I decided to give one of those “suggested “ shows a shot. Watched a couple of episodes of Chio’s School Road so far. I went in with no expectations since it’s a frivolous comedy about high school student Chio, an avid gamer with a lack of time management skills. In other words, up late, sleeps late and just barely gets to school in a mad dash. Kind of figured it’d just be a bunch of stupid situations and, well, it is kind of stupid but it’s done in a way like Survival Game Club. When she encounters a difficult situation in her daily life, she goes into “game” mode to come up with a solution. The results can end up being something you don’t expect. They also throw in little zingers here and there, a word or response that just catches you completely off guard. I think maybe I’ll stick with this for a while.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wow that sounds a bit like how not to summon a demon. Might have to look into it.

13. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I think I'll start watching Trigun. I started it when I was a kid, but never finished watching. Might as well.

14. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Trigun is one of those glaring holes in my anime resume. I should get around to it one of these days.

15. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Started watching for the second time Now and then, here and there. Not the happiest fun-time show to watch, but if you can handle the dark and mature themes of the shows, it'll blow you away. I'm dumbfounded why this show doesn't get more visibility and seems to be not very well known. It's an old show but still.

And couple of episodes still to watch from After the rain. Thankfully this series didn't do anything cliched or gross stuff with it's setting/story. (romance story of a teenager girl and a middle-aged restaurant manager, though the romance is only one-sided from the girls side) Show feels it has nuance, and interesting story telling in it. Would really love to see more shows like these that try to put thought and effort into what they're presenting.

16. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Yeah, Now and Then is one of those heart wrenching ones. but since I had a taste of Texhnolyze before watching this, it didn't hit me that hard.

Currently watching BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. Yeah, wanted to watch this a long time ago and finally got the time and mood to sit through it now. Feels like a "one of a kind" show.

17. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Shameless plug:
    https://www.sakugacity.com/ams/anime-review-koi-kaze.168/

18. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Shows that are currently airing I've been watching Steins;Gate 0, and Harukana Receive. Steins gate has been ok. It's good, but it lacks something that the first series had. There's just something that doesn't make it as good as the first one. I just recently watched it, and still really liked it. I don't think I would give it a 10/10 like when I saw it the first time, but probably a 9/10, still a great show with minor flaws. And then there's Harukana Receive. To be honest, I think this is the blandest series I've seen so far. It feels so by the numbers, that it's amazing. The only interesting thing in this show is the fanservice tbh. But nevertheless it's interesting to watch it to the end, even though it's not very good. I find it infuriating that people who make anime for a living, couldn't make this show somehow different. I could rant more, but this isn't probably a good place for it, maybe in a Harukana Receive thread if there is one. :D

19. Neji195

Neji195 Not your average "Newbie"

Currently watching Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood for the first time. Bloody Brilliant!

20. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Canaan ep1-2

As I'd hoped for something more grounded, in the vein of Black Lagoon or Jormungand, I'm not entirely sold on the more fantastical elements of this Type Moon/Mari Okada action series's story (at least not yet), but it's obvious that they really spent the cash on this one. The animation is consistently excellent and the action scenes are noticeably well directed, particularly in the second episode.