What anime are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by cberg, May 23, 2016.

1. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

I feel Canaan's story is comparatively better than Jormungand.

2. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Gonna start watching Asobi Asobase. The ED Kuze posted piqued my interest.

3. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I'd agree and disagree. Canaan is more intricately plotted on account of it being a single continous narative contrary to Jormungand's episodic approach. But Jormungand commented on a lot of current topics. From the political neccesity of the arms trade to the changing definition of warfare in the information age. Canaan commented on...basically nothing. It was just a lot of chase sequences and explosions with awesome characters and a cool plot.

I personally enjoyed Canaan a little more than Jormungand but that's more due to personal taste and I think dismissing Jormungand as shlocky action is doing it a disservice. They're both dumb fun and intricately crafted. But in different ways.

4. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Going into it, I'd expected Canaan to be a more serious series than it actually seems to be. Not that it doesn't have darker moments, but tonally it feels quite reminiscent of Baccano.

The 'Fortune Cat' at the end of episode two was particularly unexpected.

Not that I mean that as a criticism necessarily, but I don't feel like I've quite got a handle on the show's intentions yet. It's early days though, and I can't stress enough how much I like the animation. The only recent equivalent I can think of is Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens, which looks like it was produced for about the price of a ham sandwich by comparison.

5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Not sure if I would compare it to Baccano (since I don't really like Baccano and I love Canaan) but yeah Canaan is defintally not a deep philosophical show in any way. It's a non-stop explosions action blockbuster that moves at 300 miles an hour and leaves you kind of exhausted but also super hype after each episode (that's what it did for me anyway) It does have a decent plot with a few nice twists here and there but it's definitally there to entertain first and foremost. This is Mari Okada in Michael Bay mode basically.

Also Canaan was directed by studio P.A. Works and directed by Masahiro Ando. The same studio and director behind the currently airing Sirius the Jaeger and to me Canaan feels very similar in style with the exception that Canaan is quite distinctly a girls with guns show while Sirius the Jaeger is not. Also if Sirius the Jager doesn't mean much to you, Masahiro Ando also directed Sword of the Stranger which I'd put in the same catagory as Canaan being a super high quality blockbuster. This is kind of his area of expertise.

Hope that helps to peg the show somehow.

6. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Gonna start Mononoke next.

7. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

Recently started Asobi Asobase and I'm hooked. It's the sort of show that doesn't take itself seriously one bit and it's easy to sit back and watch. One of the funniest anime I've seen since Hinamatsuri.

8. Enies

Enies Established Member

Banana fish is surprisingly pretty entertaining

9. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Didn't watch that. But you might be interested in this once you finish it.

Spoiler alert, and also pretty sure she made the video before it ended if I remember correctly.

EDIT: Yup, 4 episode in at the moment of this video.

10. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Oh yeah, I'll pick up Boku no Hero Academia (3rd season) and watch it together with Mononoke.

11. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

It's pretty cool if you stick with it. Think black lagoon meets a certain scientific railgun

12. wesleyv1

Currently watching last hope on netflix. It's pretty good so far. All the characters are likeable, the atmosphere is dark, and the story seems intriguing

13. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Thought it was finally time to sit down through Berserk. Finished the 1997 anime this weekend and now it's on to the three part movie series. Then I'll watch the 24 episode 2016 Berserk as well. And maybe read the manga one day. It's decent for a classic show but yeah the oldie tv series drops off in the middle of nowhere (can't blame it though since that was all the source material they got at the time) and the 3 part ova seems more about the animation and action than the plot. Wouldn't have bothered with the ova series but since I hear the Skull Knight is supposedly gonna make an appearance in the final movie, so I thought why the hell not.

I'm more interested in Berserk cause of the lore and the Skull Knight rather than the Griffith vs Guts angle, so maybe I might dive into the manga sometime after I finish the anime.

14. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Started watching Black Clover at the recommendation of my brother.

Kinda like it so far. Gives a Fairy tale kinda vibe which I enjoy. I also glad it isn't your typical good brother evil brother thing which is running rampart in most anime. I like the comedic but action packed rivalry between Asta and Yuno.

15. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Currently working my way through the third series of The Familiar of Zero.

This show is enjoyable enough, but it's really testing my patience at this point.

I had a good enough time with the first season to commit to more, but now that I'm three series in... It's killing me. It's like there weren't even two other seasons, we're still doing the exact same bits that we were doing two seasons ago, and effectively nothing has changed, outside of the other students losing progressively more and more screen time. If series 2 ended in the way that it was trying to make you believe it would, it would've been dynamite, but it didn't, and I doubt anybody really thought it was going to either. This series is incapable of a twist - you can see everything coming a season in advance. There are still strong episodes, but, man, I just want some progress at this point. Probably doesn't help that I've essentially watched it straight through, instead of spaced a year or so apart, but I digress.

I've been sampling some other stuff, but I'm not far enough to have that much to say about them, so here's the speed round.
    • GATE (2/12) - I actually thought this was a pretty cool concept, and I thought it was pretty well executed, but I'm not vibing with it at all.
    • Maoyu ~ Archenemy & Hero (3/12) - Rather enjoyable thus far, but whethr I'll finish it or not is up in the air. Anime is hard.
    • The Heroic Legend of Arslan (1/25) - Strong first episode, has a Musou game, might have to follow up on it.
    • Gun X Sword (1/26) - Trigun meets Black Jack; I love Trigun, I love Black Jack. Shame I don't love binging anime anymore.
    • Black Cat (1/23) - Sven's kind of a cool character, but this feels like nothing special.
    • Classroom of the Elite (1/12) - Main character is my spirit animal. Tonally reminiscent of Liar Game, which is neat.
    • Record of the Grancrest War (1/24) - Decent, but way too long based on my interest level.
    Some will be dropped, probably Gate, Grancrest and Black Cat, and, based on my track record in recent years, the others will be put on hold for ages, and then dropped.

#615 Novaire, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  16. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I definitally recommend the manga over either anime. The 90s anime is a poor adaptation that completely changed the tone and themse of the manga. The 2016 series on the other hand is a far superior adaptation but really suffers from god awful production values.

Berserk imo is a work that never really needed an adaptation in the first place. It works best on the page. It's a sprawling epic, currently spanning 40 volumes and still going. Neither anime adapts the entire source material with the 90s anime only covering the prologue (and doing a poor job at that too) and the 2016 anime skipping over an entire arc and stopping at vol 28. Leaving everything beyond that unadapted.

Imo while the 2016 anime is a worthwhile watch if you really like dark fantasy and don't mind butt ugly visuals the ONLY way to really get a good grasp of Berserk and why it is (imho anyway) the single best work of high fantasy in the graphic medium is well...too read the manga yourself. Take some time. 40 volumes is not a cakewalk. But I guarantee you, it'll be a worthwhile investment.

17. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Started the 2016 Berserk and even though it looked sketchy when I watched the trailer back in 2016, when I actually sat through the first 2 episodes the sound production and overall plot direction really felt mediocre.

I don't know man. I'm in two minds regarding the manga. First it isn't complete (I don't pick up unfinished/running manga) and second I don't think I'm up for reading a 40 volume manga regarding two protagonists I ain't even all that interested in. I am in this gig cause of the Skull Knight. I'm more interested in his 1000 years development and backstory. If there's an arc simply regarding the Skull Knight, I'd happily read that instead.

18. wesleyv1

Watching season 2 of tsubassa. Still pretty good. Ordered the movie off of Amazon too so I'm almost done with the series

19. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Since the 2nd season concluded, I'll give 3-gatsu no Lion a watch.

20. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Started watching Season 3 of Overlord. Hopefully the 3rd season is better than the 2nd. Wasn't too happy with how it played out.

Kinda pissed that Hulu didn't have all of the Black Clover series, but whateva. Thank gawd I finally got Hulu to finally work on my phone so now I can start watching Anime on the regular again.