What anime are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by cberg, May 23, 2016.

1. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I've started watching Gaikotsu Shotenin Honda-san and Zombieland Saga. Nothing makes a work week better than coming home to a bookselling skeleton and an idol group made up entirely of zombies.

2. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Finished Overlord season 3. Holy crap was that sad. Way better than Season 2 but sooooooooo sad.

Anyway, Started watching Durarara and Durarara 2. Great series and glad I finally was able to get back to it. I was only able to watch half of the first season before so now I can actually finish it. That intro music for second half of Durarara 2 doe. <3

3. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

DOUBLE POST FTW!!!!!

Finished up Mobile Suit Gundam Iron Blood Orphans. Kinda disappointed in the ending and what happened to most of the Tekkadan members but its Gundam so I enjoyed majority of the show anyways.

Started Watching Blood Battle Blockade....I think that's its name. Kinda meh, but Im going to finish it.

4. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

TRIPLE POST For the Year!!!!

Binge watched two animes this weekend.

Sky Wizards Academy:
    Pretty ho-hum. Nothing really noteworthy that made it stand out. Wasn't too boring but nothing specatular.

Psychic Detective Yakumo:
    I actually really liked this. Sucks that it was only 12 Episodes. Wish they could have done more with the story and continued it. May look it up to see if there is a manga for it.

I started rewatching Gundam 00 to cure my Gundam fix. They really need a new series like this that isn't Build Fighters or whateva crap that wanna be beyblade gundam shit is. After Iron Blood Orphans ending that kinda pissed me off, at least I know this will get my mood back up.

5. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Other than airing things, I'm still watching Canaan off and on. It seems a bit more dynamic now that I'm nearing the end, but I found it surprisingly stodgy in the middle episodes, given the magnitude of what was at stake.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Almost done with Red Garden and to be honest I'm not a fan. It feels too shojo for me. The protagonists breaking into a singsong during the first couple of episodes and there's way too much focus on how their condition negatively affected their personal and social lives instead of the actual supernatural/sci-fi elements of the show and fleshing out the backstory to that.

I'd rather just rock, looking at the LMC.

Also gonna pick up Mouryou no Hako again. I remember dropping it after episode 4 for some reason I can't recall but I am willing to give it another shot since there's not much going on in terms of new shows in the Fall Season.

7. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Started watching Mekaku City Actors. It's interesting to see Shaft in full flow outwith a big name like Monogatari or March Lion, but I kind of haven't grasped what the show is actually about yet...

8. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

If you aren't familiar with the music vids or the novel, chances are you'll not understand it completely.

9. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Catching up on Double Decker today. I like that someone got a Franz Ferdinand reference in there.

[​IMG]

10. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher Newbie

Devilman Crybaby because I am a boring Netflix user at the present. I'm 3 episodes in and I'm pretty halfhearted in my viewing habits, so I'm not sure I'm going to finish this series.

11. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Started Watching Ranma 1/2.

I usually find that anime with a ton of episodes tend to be actually decent or good based on experience and this kept popping up in my "recommends" on HULU so I gave it a watch. Its alright so far, as Im only about 12 episodes in. Im honestly surprised that an anime this old had so much cleavage shown clearly...and I mean like almost every episode some sort of titties is just flapping in the wind.

That's not the reason Im watching this show either before anybody screams perv. -_-

12. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

The artwork and storyline the anime is in line witb thw manga. I enjoyed it a lot.

13. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Saw "The Labyrinth of Grisaia" anime. Well, that was lame.

I had low expectations of the adaptation to begin with, considering how rushed and condensed "The Fruit of Grisaia" anime was. "Labyrinth" was no different, and I feel like this kind of pacing makes it difficult to really care that much about the people Yuuji got involved with and died, since they feel like just one-off redshirts who appeared on-screen for one minute and then disappeared.

We know from "Clannad" and "Steins;Gate" that it's not impossible to adapt a visual novel into a proper anime if enough money was thrown at it, so it's kinda vexing that Grisaia has such a piss-poor production quality.

Also, the anime was significantly more bloodless than the VN. Not that the VN went out of its way to depict blood and gore everywhere, but its textual descriptions were far more detailed and brutal than what is seen visually in the anime. Yuuji merely had some laughable scrapes on his skin after being beaten down, not even a purple bruise on his entire body. Talk about family-friendly. What is this, Disney?

Oh, but sex and rape scenes are fine, because violence is a far more taboo subject than sex. Gotta squeeze more money outta those hentai audiences, right? So you had to put more effort into those risque sex scenes, but not into the brutal fight scenes Yuuji goes through. Yep, perfectly understandable. That's Japan for you. Sex f-ing sells. Even America is starting to take a more self-conscious stance against gratuitous sex scenes nowadays, but Japan just can't help sticking to its promiscuous roots, I guess.

Sigh. Whatever. I can't say exactly that I feel like I wasted my time, since they animated what were merely walls of texts in the VN, so there's a certain amount of merit for you to check this out, I guess. Perhaps out of some morbid sense of curiosity. It's not nearly as bad as adaptations of actual sex games like Kara no Shoujo or its prequel, Cartagra (stay the f*** away from those two anime adaptations if you care for your sanity; don't say I didn't warn you), but it's still a pretty mediocre bargain-bin production.

6/10

Gonna check out "The Eden of Grisaia" anime next since the "Labyrinth" only adapted half of the Labyrinth VN's main story, ending at a dumb cliffhanger. Then I'll probably come here and b**** about it some more. :coffee: Because boredom.

Edit:
    Well, shit. "Eden" turned out to be an improvement. The desaturated artstyle is still kinda an eyesore, but due to its spacing across 10 episodes, the pacing does seem to have improved, and the emotional scenes more impactful as a result, rather than leave you with a whiplash and confused as to what just happened.

#633 ReymousFumes, Dec 21, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
  14. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Was always holding out for some kind of definitive box set, but as the first two parts are on Netflix anyway, I decided to start on GitS: Arise.

I know it got mixed reviews at the time, but so far, it seems completely fine; I quite like it. My impression is that Arise is a more lightweight GitS than we've had before, with less introspection and more things going boom, but I still find it both engaging and entertaining. I'm not sure how it might play if this was someone's first introduction to the series though. The characterisation might seem a bit lacking if you didn't already know who the characters are and how the show is gently playing with our expectations for how they should behave.

Don't regret waiting for the dub either. Anything GitS related seems to get a really good English dub, and this is no exception.

15. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Prt 2 of last hope is up on Netflix and if you haven't seen it yet now is a really good time to start. Honestly, i wasn't really expecting another season because generally Netflix animes only have one but the show itself is pretty badass so i was happy when i found out. Again, check it out if you can

16. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I'll start watching Bunny girl. I'm seeing mixed feeling over it, and I got curious. Skimmed over 2 bad reviews, but not too much to prevent getting biased.

17. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Watching Sirius the jaeger on Netflix. It's pretty cool and kinda like blood blockade battlefront but with vampires

18. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I'll give Golden Kamuy a shot. Might watch Zombieland as well.

19. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Hinna Hinna ! !

Matemar likes this.
  20. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Finally started Darker than Black. The very last show on my long list of "shows I needed to watch". I've finished every show that I wanted to watch, ranging from the 90s to around 2010 and boy was it a long list. I mean, pretty much every show I wanted to watch. Still unsure whether I should give Evangelion a shot.

Anyway, back to Darker than Black, and just caught up on the first episode. Things aren't all that clear yet but this Li/Hei guy seems to have a split personality, or maybe he's just putting on an act to lure the target in.