What anime are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by cberg, May 23, 2016.

1. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher sinew and steel

Watched Spirited Away at anime club. It's our introductory anime get people to regularly show up. Then I rewatched Spirited Away because apparently my cousin hadn't seen it before. Such a classic film. I am loath to find out people haven't seen it. Anyways righted a small wrong in the world by showing a bunch of people some Studio Ghibi.

Shadow Fox likes this.
  2. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I finished kill la kill again, lots of stuff I don't remember or forgot about so it was almost like watching it brand new again. I was watching baki and kengen asura but I had to stop because sometime half way in the second season I think for either of those they didn't have all the episodes and I don;'t know how regular they release episodes. I am thinking of trying out cells at work soon. I also finally got to watch Hunterxhunter which was alright, and seven deadly sins which is, quite frankly, boring as fuck.

3. 5oul Crusher

Starting watching Code Guess on anime club recommendation.

4. DcRising

DcRising New Member

Not much at all recently aside from Haikyuu!, MHA, and One Piece for airing. Started Gundam Iron Blooded Orphans recently which I am really enjoying.

5. 5oul Crusher

Now that I have some renewed interest in anime I've been watching Kanon (2006). It's based on a visual novel, and is set in the same visual style as Clannad (though content-wise is totally different). There's something about a story set around girls in snow that is so... Healing, hmmm, not quite sure. But nevertheless Kanon has been a good watch so far. The friend who recommended it definitely knows a thing or two about anime, or at the very least doesn't have terrible taste.

I've also been doing a causal rewatch of Kill la Kill. I think it's one of the strongest shows in raw visual aesthetic. I still view the show with some wonder, and try not to concern myself with having a complete understanding of plot. It's more about how the characters feel, and how they make you feel. I dig the soundtrack as well, although I wish it had a bit more variation.

I tried to get into Demon Slayer, but I just can't find any enthusiasm for that series. The characters either feel stiff and lifeless, or goofy. It hasn't been able to strike a balance which I find satisfactory.

6. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I am currently watching Fairy Tail with my son. We are on season 6. I think we may move to Prince of Tennis next not sure really. Or rewatch Haikyuu.

7. Velleri

Velleri Lady Vee

A friend of mine has introduced me to HunterxHunter (2011, not 1999). I'm loving it and it makes me sad that the manga has been on hiatus for so long, but I understand. I'm also somewhere in the middle of season 2 of My Hero Acadamia. I can see what all the hype was for!

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I finally started tales of the abyss that I picked up on bluray at a convention. I actually have the ps2 game and a ps2 fat but I'm enjoying watching it as much as if I was playing it. Especially since the cutscenes are the reward for playing it. At least to me.

New stuff I'm following :

Food wars plate 5
    Ascendance of a bookworm season 2
    the 8th son

Only the 8th son seems to be still putting new episodes out. Not sure how long it will keep up.

9. 5oul Crusher

Been watching Kaguya-Sama: Love is War. I am enjoying it so far. It has been surprisingly mature and the comedy is actually funny. I'm considering rewatching while the second season releases.

10. 5oul Crusher

Been watching Nichijou. I struggle to believe that I've avoided seeing it for all these years. It's so relatable in a sort of bizarre way.

I've just started watching Azumanga Daioh. A couple of years I read the manga at a friend's place, so watching the anime is weirdly nostalgic. I'm convinced Azumanga Diaoh is too advanced and that's why more people haven't seen it. The comedy is kind of funny, but it's mostly been a switch brain off show for me in between work. I really like the style of Azu and sort of wish more anime looked similar to it.

I haven't enjoyed the second season of Love is War as much as the first. I'm not really engaging with the student council election arc. And I found the jokes a bit more tiring the second time round.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I rewatched sword art online ordinal scale the movie on bluray the other day. I had seen in in the theater when it hit with fathom events. I think I've only watched it once since I got it on disc. Its quite enjoyable having a long play sao. I was shocked it was 2 hours long. Usually animated features average 90 minutes.

I am still in the middle of tales of the abyss and need to pick it up again. I also need to pick up a couple others I've been on.

12. DcRising

DcRising New Member

I recently finished both season of Gundam: IBO and Tenjho Tenge. Decided to pick Fairy Tail from where I left off years ago.

13. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Devilman Crybaby and Legend of the Galactic Heroes Gaiden: Spiral Labyrinth.

LoGH being consistently quality is no surprise to me. I stopped at about episode 54 of the main OVA so that I could catch up with the Gaiden prequels first. It's hard to be excited about this anime as much because I've already used up all my energy hyping up this anime in the beginning. So now I'm just enjoying the ride.

Devilman, on the other hand, proved to be a genuine surprise that impressed me. In spite of the iffy artstyle, the stakes are really piling up with each episode so far, and I'm really enjoying the thrills it offers.

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Is that the redo version of legend of galactic heroes? It is very good. The space battle animations are much clearer than the original. Not the cg aspect but the description and layout that helps. Granted its probably been more than ten years I saw the original. I only got halfway through the original series. It's tough to marathon if you're not in the right mood. I lost momentum and gave up. Having the redo mixed in with a handful of other seasonal episodes makes it easier to follow.

I'm still working on tales of the abyss. It's so cool watching it instead of playing it. I can just feel like I'm playing the game but can be swept up into the story in a different way.

15. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Nah, I'm following the original OVA. I'm a purist like that, preferring to see what the classic versions have to offer rather than settle for a repackaging. There are a few exceptions to the rule of course, such as times when the older versions might be far more dated in their writing and style than the updated ones (FMA and Devilman).

The pacing is a little challenging if you're not in the right mood, but for me, I feel like there's usually some thought-provoking quote around the corner with every episode that keeps me watching and engaged. I like it when an anime keeps me in deep thoughts.

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I do understand originals usually nail the aesthetics and feel more than any redo. In this case it was a matter of the ease of having the refresh alongside seasonal episodes that let me back into the series. I can certainly see why some may be hesitant to jump into a huge series like this.

17. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Yeah, I could understand as well, regarding the hesitance to jump into a series like this.

However, when you bother to pick up a series of such renown, an anime that has been claimed to be one of the most unique masterpieces in Japanese animation, it would seem kinda weird to watch the remake of said masterpiece instead. It's like watching the 2007 Japanese live action movie adaptations of Death Note instead of reading the manga or watching the more faithfully-adapted anime just because the movies were more accessible. It wouldn't make much sense, to me anyway.

In fact, I find that quite a number of anime today are remakes of perfectly functional older anime that still hold up in terms of animation and writing, namely Digimon Adventure and Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Granted, those two were probably made to cash in on the branding as opposed to the probable reasons behind Legend of the Galactic Heroes: Die Neue These (updating an old anime), but you know, watching this OVA for the first time, I honestly don't find it any more dated than Monster or Mushishi. Its pace is slow, but no more than a lot of other psychological anime I could think of. Its use of classical music as a background score only adds to its uniqueness as an anime.

Anyway, that's my two cents on why I refused to watch the remake, or at least watching it before I watched the original. The whole idea just seems redundant and silly, not to mention ruining my first impression of the original OVA (if I had seen the remake first).

#677 Osiris, Jun 3, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  18. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Currently watching Ajin, a nice follow-up to my Devilman Crybaby viewing.

Aside from having a badass soundtrack (something I haven't felt for a long time in anime), it's like a less melodramatic version of Tokyo Ghoul without the hammy megalomaniacal villains. I'm lovin' it.

19. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I am currently watching One Piece with my Son. I just saw that Baki had new episodes on Netflix so I might catch up with those and start some other assorted series on Hulu.

20. Osiris

Osiris New Member

One episode of Ajin Season One left for me before the big finale. Gotta say, this has been such an exhilarating ride. It's like a combination of tropes from anime that disappointed me before (Tokyo Ghoul and Terror in Resonance in particular), while also throwing a sociopathic protagonist like Death Note's Yagami Light for extra flavor. Definitely one of the best anime of the 2010s. Can't wait to see how it ends. Here's to season 2!