Personal What are you collecting and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pinky The Blue Flamingo, Aug 12, 2018.

1. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

just like it says in the title. Whats your "shiney trinket"? What do you have to have if you see the perfect addition to your collection.

For me its retro game systems, Ive got portables and consoles but I talk about them enough in the gaming forum.

What Ive recently become enamored with are sapphires, Ive been collecting them for about 8 months now and Ive amassed a small number of unique stones.

Generally when people think of sapphires, they imagine a deep blue stone, but sapphires can come in any color except red, since the red ones are rubies, but the cut off point between sapphire and ruby is hotly debated.

anyway, these are my stones, Id like to get a nice display case at some point, but this will do for now.

[​IMG]

All but two of these stones are under a half carat, or 50points, and arent particularly valuable, not because of the size though, but because of their color. Browns and blue-green stones just dont sell, and they are often heat treated to get more desireable colors.

bit thats the industry's loss, because my cognac sapphire has some beautiful peachy coral undertones that just make it pop. Sadly photos dont do it justice at all.
    [​IMG]
    Im planning to have it set in rosegold one day, but thats a ways off.

This whole thing started when I won a green stone in an auction and ive been kind of obsessed with them eversince lol
    [​IMG]

Im really hoping I can get a large blue/teal/yellow parti sapphire one day, the ones coming out of Australia are stunning.

What cool thing do you collect?

#1 Pinky The Blue Flamingo, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
  2. Struggler

Struggler Sentient Meat
    Platinum Founder

I wouldn't call it an actual collection or anything, but I have a kind of...compulsion, to acquire any old, haggard-looking blunt instruments I come across for some reason. Every time my girlfriend brings me along to a thrift store, or a garage sale, or anywhere else where there's a collection of other people's unwanted cast-offs, I too often come away from them toting an old baseball bat, hammer, or something similar.

It began with just a bat I got from...I don't even know where, actually...but I got a wooden bat when I was a kid, probably 20+ years ago, and it was old-looking then, with its grip tape already partially missing and coming off more. I never got rid of that bad because I loved it. Can't remember a time I ever actually used it when I played baseball on teams or with friends, but I never wanted to give it up. Always stopped my mom from trashing it when she'd clean out the garage. I took that bat with me when I finally moved out of my parents' place. I kept it by the front door of my apartment for a while. I kept that bat in the trunk of multiple cars, and after just sending my last one off to the scrapyard I've just moved it into the trunk of my new car. I used it as a prop for a Halloween costume, so now the rotten old monster has what looks like old blood all over it as well. I doubt I'll ever get rid of it by choice.

For some reason I felt a powerful connection to that bat, and continue to feel something similar with other old bludgeons. I've got multiple old wooden bats, some ratty old hammers, one of which I'm pretty sure was a murder weapon at one point, and more. I don't see myself stopping at any point, either. I just have to stop myself from buying more, because I have no use for them, practical or otherwise, so I know I can't just keep acquiring more.

I should really knock down the collection to just one bat for the apartment, one for the car, and maybe a hammer for under my seat...and maybe one more bat for my bedroom. Home protection is important, but I'm too poor to start a gun collection right now.

So that's my grand and mentally-dysfunctional "collection."

I'd also like to start a collection of 80s and 90s X-Men comics at some point, but that probably won't happen lol.

3. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I have a fuck-ton of games, retro and modern. I also have a small collection of anime DVD's/Blurays, but only my favorites. I have a decent sized manga/light novel collection.

I also have a pretty large music collection in vinyl/cd/cassette formats

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Cool stuff everyone :)

Im just mostly into movies and games on disc. I do also get small nick knacks at festivals or conventions. Usually just a few bucks for something small. I dont even do it all the time.

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I don't really collect anything anymore. I have a very large collection of CDs though. I don't know why, but I just love having a physical copy of the music I love. Some of my family seem to think it's weird to buy them lol, but I don't. There's a novelty to putting a CD in and listening to that. I could have 1000s of songs on the ipod and only listen to a small portion of them. I can see my CD collection there and physically pick something out that I wouldn't have thought of at the time, and go "oh yeah, I love this."

Same with books. I have never read an e-book in my life, except for academic materials. I just love to have the real thing in my hands. The smell of the paper etc.

I probably have a few too many sort of expensive pairs of shoes stacked away in boxes because I can't wear them right now. :oops: Not while my back is in bits. XD

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Liner notes! Some mp3 albums come with pdfs but they arent the same. :)

7. Grungie

Contributor

It sucks when there aren't liner notes

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I also mourn the loss of printed manuals in games. I wouldnt always look at them but id still feel good about having them there. Usually had good artwork too.

I saw q game collector video where the difficulty of obtaining manuals was brought up.

9. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I used to have a fairly large collection of video games, but after a certain point, right around the time I had to lug box after box of them to the new house, I decided that it just wasn't for me anymore. Frankly, I didn't use many of them at all, so having something that is effectively useless to me just didn't make sense. I've since sold a lot of them off in favor of a curated selection of quality titles that I very much enjoy, and want to own physically for posterity's sake. I can't say I miss what I've gotten rid of, as it truly was just sitting around withering away. Now, they're more than likely with people who will appreciate them far more than I did, and that's better for everybody.

We do have quite a large collection of Blu-rays though - as of a few days ago the count was something like 500 films, with some TV shows, anime, and a concerts videos mixed in. Luckily for us, our local game store carries them at very reasonable prices, so we haven't actually invested all that much for the volume that we've pulled in. In addition, we typically unload digital codes and the extra inclusions to reap a lot of the individual costs back in as well. It's something that takes up a similar amount of space to what the game collection did in the past, but these have been acquired selectively from the start. At the end of the day, it's just a much more useful thing for me personally.

10. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I collect Boxes of MTG and MLP Figures from the Vinyl series and the guardians of Harmony series as well as Fan series and this cool fan made Chibi series.Also collect 64 Games....but just the really good ones.

#10 Shadow Fox, Aug 18, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
    yoda313 likes this.
  11. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I collect copies of Alice in wonderland books. Everytime I see a new one I buy it. It's my favourite book, that's the only reason lol my oldest copy is 130 years old and I have 22 different copies.

I also collect records. I have a million of them, and started because when I was a kid my dads old records were at my grandparents house. I would spend hours listening to pinks floyds the wall, cat Steven's tea for the tillerman and a Monty python record. A few years ago my dad got me a record player and those 3 albums, now it's just routine that every now and then we will spend a sunday travelling to all the record stores and checking out what they have. I'll buy things I like, and my dad will buy me the records he had/loved or records that he thinks are necessary for ever collection lol

12. Grungie

Contributor

I do hate when some albums get re-released on vinyl, they take a single disc album, and make it a 2 disc album. I feel they do it to nickel and dime you, because that extra disc costs more, but the sound quality isn't noticeably better.

I owned the 2 disc reissue of Soundgarden's Badmotorfinger, and later bought the single disc reissue and did a side by side comparison and didn't hear a single difference. Then there's my copy of Sunny Day Real Estate's album LP2 where it's like a 30 min album, and they put it on two discs. It wasn't pushing the time limit.

13. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

I collect state quarters and other collectible coins. I collect from both mints and am looking into quarters minted in San Francisco’s when it was operational. It started when I saw commercials for the collection books in tv and thought they were the coolest thing. So far I have almost all of them but since I’m near the west coast, finding Philadelphia quarters are harder. I have not actually bought any, seeing how far I can get on my own.

14. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

Pokemon Cards.

Why? Because I gotta catch em all, gotta catch em all, Pokemon!

Elfa likes this.
  15. Elfa

Elfa Newbie

Show me some!
    I used to collect cards. Lately I am collecting codes for a random contest.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  16. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I will post some up this week!