What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. Captain Picard

Captain Picard Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.
    Platinum Founder

Just took the plunge and got Cemu... been playing Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild on PC.

It is outstanding. 1080p+, 60fps, graphical enhancements, able to adjust some of the *ahem* more dubious game mechanics.

Nintendo needs to stop making their mainstays "console exclusive" if their consoles are going to be 'last decade' comparable.

2. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I can understand that. I dont mind story driven games, and I knewwhat to expect of it so didnt have an issue. As much action as the story has, you dont have a lot of control.

That being said I can see how many deviations there are to the story and I'm excited to see them all.

Managed to get one of the 3 main characters killed right before the end, so will be excited to see how their story pans out in this play through

3. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Today, I bought Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon on the PlayStation Vita.

I'm not a huge fan of Castlevania, not in the classic style, nor the Metroidvania variety. I do have some affection for Lament of Innocence on the PlayStation 2, and I really enjoyed playing Harmony of Despair with friends, but that's about it. With that said, I've played enough of the Nintendo entries to know what to look for in a successor, and in that sense, I think this game's just right.

The game has four characters that you switch between in a fairly obvious nod to Castlevania III, and each of them plays a bit differently. All four have different strengths and weaknesses, and each has their own health bar. There are lots of sub-weapons, with each character having their own set that only they can wield, and shortcuts to find and test, and plenty of that trademark stiff controlling, stair-ascending action made famous by the first game all those years ago.

I'm currently six stages into the game, of eight I believe, and I'm having fun with it. It looks great, the music is solid, and the bosses have been pretty fun to contend with. It's definitely going to please fans of the original Castlevania trilogy; it feels virtually identical. Check it out if that's you, it won't set you back much, and I think you'll dig it.

#1023 Novaire, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  4. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I bought Destiny 2 on PlayStation 4, couple of weeks ago and it is a gorgeous game. The more I play I can see complex combat moves to the classes but overall it seems to be a fairly simple game from what I am used to. The leveling is pretty easy and quick but hopefully that just means there is more end game content. I foresee lots of farming and grinding on reputation like any rpg. So far I am not minding the simplicity, the lore is lacking a bit for my taste but not too bad so far.

5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

Finally got around to starting Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor 2 - Record Breaker.

I have previously played some of the original on the DS, but it was a long time ago and I didn't actually play very far into it. I liked it conceptually, but it felt like it was going to be very grindy, so I opted to drop it early instead of suffering through it for 30 more hours. I'm playing on Blessed, which is the lower of the two difficulties, which hopefully means less grinding will be necessary. My other problem with the game was that it was an isometric, tactical strategy game that happened to morph into a turn-based RPG when combat began, which meant that even a single stage early on took a great deal of time to get through. As it turns out, they did their best job to ensure that the port didn't really change that whatsoever.

I have already had to grind free battles a few time, which doesn't bode well for my chances to complete the game, seeing as they only take a little less time than normal story missions. I think the setup and characters are really good, but the gameplay isn't doing much for me. I also keep scrolling one to far on battle menus and thereby ending turns early. I want to like it very much, but we'll see what happens.

6. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

Finally got around to going through Olberic's story in the Octopath Traveler demo.

I played Primrose's story pretty close to when the demo was first released, and I liked it a lot, and it definitely made me interested in picking up the final product. This story has more of a focus on combat than what I remember from the Primrose storyline, but I had far more fun with it in that sense. I don't know that his story is quite as interesting in the short-term, but he felt like a much stronger character, in terms of battling. Traditionally I don't care for any game that uses the multi-protagonist system of design; none of the Saga games have ever held my attention for long, and, sadly, The Legend of Legacy also failed to grab me. This on the other hand actually has me quite interested in trying all of the stories, it feels like something I'll have to pick up at launch, or shortly thereafter.

While I'm talking about it, I may as well get into the combat. The battle system here is a little reminiscent of Bravely Default, but I think the Brave & Default mechanic in that game was far better applied than Boosting is in this one. It's essentially the same thing, but instead of spending suspended turns to give you consecutive actions, you simply boost the power of your current skill. You also lose the ability to spend more turns than you have, which gave Bravely Default an interesting risk versus reward system. Its hard to top Bravely Default in terms of traditional turn-based combat, and it feels like this comes up just short, but the writing is still very strong. Acquire tends to develop a lot of games that I like, especially those in the Way of the Samurai series, so I'm confident that this will turn out to be a good time.

Today was the first time that I've used the Switch in a long while, which is a sentence that I know I've written before on this forum. Hopefully, E3 shows me something that I can sink my teeth into later this year, because I still dig this thing, and I'd like to get some use out of it.

7. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Finished the A-route through Nier Automata. The actual ending felt a little anticlimactic, but I enjoyed the journey and I completely understand the story still has more to give in the subsequent playthroughs. Think I might let it rest a little while before continuing though.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I bought that on steam only played a minute of it, looks gorgeous. I just havent deep dived a game in a long time. I have so many to get to.....

Oh and just saw tales of vesperia is getting a xbox one remaster edition. I loved that game! Actually beat it on the 360. I also have the movie on bluray which i should watch again :) ill probably buy it to add to my collection even if i don't play it.... though i should force myself to wait for a price drop if that's all i want it for....

9. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

Over the past couple of days, I've gotten around to trying out the Way of the Samurai games that I haven't previously gotten around to.

The first Way of the Samurai was the first of the three that I played. It's an interesting title, but it's very noticeably the first in the line if you know what I mean. I think it does some very cool stuff in terms of characterization and plot, and it features what is maybe the best player character models in the series, but the gameplay just isn't as tight as it is in later entries. It just hadn't quite come into the form that would later carry it.

There's a lot in this game that was completely scrapped by the second game, these include occasional Silent Hill style fixed camera angles, but unlike Silent Hill or Resident Evil, this game uses analog controls - as a result, the control scheme ends up forcing you to run into walls at the best of times, and send you right back out of that area at its worst. You can see replicate this in the Xbox One/PS4 port of Resident Evil remake by using the alternative control scheme, and it's really annoying there too, but that's because the game wasn't designed to utilize it - this was. It is, frankly, pretty fucked up, especially given that this game has one of the largest indoor environments in the series, and all of those rooms come with their own camera cut.

Another thing that was changed in later games is that, near as I can tell, you cannot carry any secondary items here, which means you have to rely on things that are lying around the environments to heal yourself. That wouldn't ordinarily be a problem, but some of those items can be poisonous and damage your health points rather than adding to them, There is no visual indication to represent whether a specific item will hurt you or not either. This means that when you're in a tight spot, you have to contemplate whether or not using a healing item is worth the risk of losing what little health that you have.

My biggest problem though is with the combat itself. Unlike the other games in the series, when initiating combat after a cutscene, your character does not unsheath his weapon, but the opponent will do just that, and as a result, you'll end up taking hits that you are defenseless against - it doesn't help that removing the sword from the sheath is a fairly lengthy process, given the urgency of the situation. When your only option to heal are unreliable environment based items that could be pretty far away from where you're fighting, it can be really fucking frustrating to lose half of your health to bullshit that you can't do anything about. The balance doesn't feel great either, but I haven't had that much time to tinker with other weaponry yet, so I'll hold off judgment on that for the time being.

Still, even with all of that said, I can't help but like it. Like I mentioned, I think the story and characters herein are some of the most interesting in the series. I'm looking forward to going through all of the routes, it'll just take some time; hopefully, I can pick up some tips for when I get back into it. I know that my local game store has a few copies of the game in stock, so I'll have to pick one up while I'm out so I can play it a bit more comfortably.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

just fortnite. Its a disease.

might get back into rainbow six. looking to buy yakuza 0 or nier automata

11. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I bought Fallout 4 today. I've already started playing. My previous criticisms of the game still stand. The game is far from bad, but also far from the standard I put on Fallout games.

However, I'll tell you what really pissed me off...

I bought the Fallout 4 GOTY edition with all DLCs included. I pop in the disc I start playing and after 1 hour I realize that I don't have the DLCs, so I go and google "wtf is up with this shit?" and google responds with "boi, they didn't put the DLC on the disc, they give you a voucher to get it for free."
    "What?"

When I buy a GOTY edition of a game, I expect all of the extra content... ON DISC! Unbelievable.

And worst of all, there is absolutely nothing on the disc that mentions the voucher, they are false advertising.

12. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Coincidentally, I'm currently playing the first Fallout game. I remember dropping this one just a few short hours into it. lol God, they weren't kidding about its difficulty level. Fallout 3 and 4 were child's play.

I think what really got me to drop it though was its boring graphics (even with the high res mod), which is why I picked it up again to give it another shot, since "graphics" is a poor criticism of a game's quality.

I don't know. I guess I just wish Fallout 4 was anything like New Vegas, my favorite Fallout game. Then I wouldn't have to dig through the original games to scrap for quality gameplay.

Matemar likes this.
  13. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

Give Wasteland 2 a shot if you ever get the chance.

The first Wasteland was the progenitor of the Fallout series, but honestly, it's so old and antiquated that I can't really recommend anyone go back to it at this point, although if you're so inclined, it seems to be well liked among the people who play it. The second game, however, is only a few years old at this point, and it really carried the concept forward in a compelling way. Combat plays out like more of a squad-based tactical strategy game than a real-time adventure game like Fallout, but it's very well refined and moves forward at a solid pace. It's not an open-world game per say, though you do have a world that you can roam about, it's really more of a linear story-based game, but it does at least give you that feeling, and while you explore the areas, you do have several options with how you proceed. The writing is good, your choices matter, and it's a lot of fun - it's got that Fallout spirit if you know what I mean. It's not a one-for-one comparison in a lot of ways, but I think that anyone who enjoys Fallout can have fun with it.

You can pick it up for pretty cheap during a sale, (one is actually going as of this writing in fact) and it's got more than enough content to justify even the normal price tag. The third game should also be coming out sometime next year, so if you wanted a game that has a much better graphical style, that'll certainly be an option.

ReymousFumes likes this.
  14. JoJo

JoJo Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

So I started over with my Far Cry 5 campaign. Or should I say started sober. Cause the first time I played it I was a bit tipsy, and my two friends ended up playing it. So the story and missions were a bit foggy to me. I actually like this game alot!

15. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Ive decided to put down the gameboy for a bit (i forgot how great the system is like omg, this thing is still amazing) and pick up my ntsc-j N3DSLL and get back to Yokai Watch. Ive been slacking hard on my Japanese practice because of school.
    Im also playing Conan Exiles, and Im enjoying it a lot, at least when the server lag isnt trying to yeet me off a cliff lol

16. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

Just finished the last of us remaster and now playing the left behind DLC (which I'd never played before)

The trophies are fairly brutal and there dont seem to be many if any easy to get ones. I'm actually not looking forward to the harder playthroughs hahaha

17. ReymousFumes

Contributor

The combat sucks! Fallout 1, that is. You know that V.A.T.S. system in Fallout 3 that slows down time when there's an enemy? Well, guess what? In Fallout 1, it turns the game into a turn-based RPG, where your character is literally immobile after shooting two or three times, and you have to wait for the other enemies to approach you before you can literally do anything (including quitting the damn game!). It isn't a problem when there's only one enemy, but when there are five or eight enemies around, hoo boy, you have to spend 10 to 20 minutes to get through a single combat! Sheesh! It's a little complicated to explain, but you should know what I'm talking about if you've played this game. The V.A.T.S. system is just god-awful here with multiple enemies, and I hear it doesn't get any better in Fallout 2.

Say what you will about Fallout 3, but it isn't a pain to kill stuff in there.

#1037 ReymousFumes, Jun 25, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2018
  18. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Just finished installing Fallout 3 today... oh boy.

If there's one thing I find extremely annoying about Bethesda games, it's their reliance on mods. I'll have to sift through 10-15 mods for several hours before I could get this thing running as a decent game.

Oh yeah, speaking of Bethesda games - Fallout 4 still sucks by the way (in my humble opinion and all that that implies). I remember how you couldn't kill many friendly NPCs, and IIRC the ones you do kill don't have a significant effect (like the whole city turning against you). I might be wrong on the latter point though - it's been a while since I've played it - but remembering just how you couldn't ROLE PLAY as anyone but a goody two-shoes in a ROLE PLAYING GAME just infuriates me to no end. Sigh. F*** you, Bethesda. F*** you very much.

I'm also considering the notion that Fallout 3 might just be a teensy better than New Vegas. I was considering reinstalling NV instead, but then I remember how dull the Mojave Wasteland is. To put this into perspective... Fallout 3 has a freaking alien spaceship. Yeah. A f***ing UFO. NV can't beat that s***; not to mention all the cool vaults you get to explore, vaults with their own intriguing backstories.

In regards to the first Fallout, I got over its turn-based combat, but I still got incredibly bored because it just didn't feel as interesting as the other Fallout games. I hate the countdown timer. I think that timer ruined whatever enjoyment I would have had taking my own sweet time exploring the world. Oh well.

19. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

@ReymousFumes

The more I'm playing Fallout 4, the more disappointed I get. Now that I've played both, I can safely say that NV is the better game, and so is Fallout 3.

The thing I noticed when I play Fallout 4, is the lack of freedom. Like you said, you can roleplay only as the good guy. There are almost no "bad" options in the game.

I clearly remember that in Fallout New Vegas one of the very first quests already gives you a choice to shape the outcome of Goodsprings. Will you help Goodsprings get rid of the Powder Gangers, or will you help the Powder Gangers take the city? If you took this quest and placed it into Fallout 4 the choices would be: Help the city by convincing the Powder Gangers to leave, pay them, shoot them and... idk... sarcasm?

They should have removed the building settlements part of the game and focused their resources on stuff that fans actually want to see.

And the immortal NPCs also kinda pissed me off. You know why? Cause NV doesn't have those. No sir, you can go and walk up to the main quest giver and shoot him in the face.

Anyways, next games I have my eyes on are the new Spiderman and Metro Exodus.

I'm a big fan of Metro (I've read the books besides the last one and played the games). And the Spiderman developers (Insomniac I believe?) is actually listening to their fans. Can you imagine that? That's something I've never seen from Bethesda.

#1039 Matemar, Jun 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2018
    ReymousFumes likes this.
  20. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

@Matemar

The problem with the settlement building was more in the implementation than the idea. Frankly, did anyone ever bother to use the housing options in the previous Bethesda games? It never felt like something I really wanted to do and, if I like equipment enough to keep it, I'll usually carry it on me, or have it on a companion.

Anyway, the core concept of having settlements to help fund your exploits isn't a bad one in and of itself, but they just don't get you enough bang for your buck. The investment, of both time and caps, that you have to put in just doesn't make sense in a game like this. The average person is only gonna spend, what, a couple of days worth of play over the course of Fallout 4, but to get a good output from your settlements, you'd need to invest at least another twenty hours into just that aspect, if not significantly more. The idea is there, but the impact on gameplay is not. This would've worked so much better in a persistent game like Fallout 76, with players working together to build settlements, in a single player adventure, it's a huge, impractical timesink. Looking back, the ability to invest in businesses and towns just seems like the more practical application of that idea, but I digress.

I've been playing a little bit of Fallout 4 lately, and I've found myself back in that same gameplay loop - get materials, run around outskirts trying to force the walls close enough so that ne'er-do-wells cant get through them, rinse & repeat. This time, I had a mod to help me do so, basically allowing me to no-clip walls they're placed, but I wasn't so fortunate the first time through and spent probably two days of a three day playthrough just fortifying Sanctuary Hills. The hill-type environments do not help matters and do not even get me started on trying to wire up the pre-made houses. There just should've been locked to an overhead grid system for placing shit; It could've been so much faster, so much easier, and so much better.