What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

A good headbanger in the background helps with tough bosses. Try that too.

2. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I am playing Kingdom Hearts 1.5 Final Mix right now.

3. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Axiom Verge

Love this game. This is the Metroidvania game I have been missing in my world. Music, difficulty, bosses, and gameplay is so retro and top notch that I will be playing this for a while.

4. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Active Member

This actually worked, haha.

StrawHats likes this.
  5. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

Been playing Mirror's Edge: Catalyst this week. Overall I like the mechanics better than the first game. Story's fine. Wish it got a dlc or something, though.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Finished playing Silent Hill 2, the only one I intended to play from the series. Yeah it's a bit clunky and all with the game-play and graphics, but from a story and soundtrack point, tis a decent experience. Got the Leave ending even though I wanted the In Water ending. Would have been a tragically romantic way to finish the game. Guess I forgot to do a few things to get the In Water ending. Man, the soundtrack of this game is really something.

Well, that's the end of me jumping down into dark mysterious holes, back to FIFA then.

7. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Finished 7scarlet the other day, now im working on the rest of my vita backlog starting with psycho pass: mandatory happiness. after that ill likely start corpse party blood drive, or get a copy of period:◆, we'll see i guess.

8. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I've been splitting most of my game time of late between Tales of Berseria and the first Valkyria Chronicles.

Tales of Berseria has been really fun for me, and for me to say that about a Tales game is effectively a miracle. The story has been rather compelling, and for the first time since Tales of Destiny, I'm finding the combat pretty agreeable, though thirteen hours in, I'm starting to get bored with that aspect. I'm very happy with how quickly you get in and out of battle, but the rest is pretty standard. Still, story and characters are a real high point. I think this'll end up being the first Modern Tales of game where I'm actually invested enough in what's happening to finish it.

I played up through chapter seven of Valkyria Chronicles a few years back and I found the plot and characters very agreeable, but I was getting increasingly unhappy with the length of the battles and size of the levels themselves. This time, that hasn't been as much of an issue, that isn't to say I haven't run into those issues, but it hasn't felt nearly as egregious as before. I restarted from the beginning so that I'd get a refresher on the story, and I'm now a few chapters beyond where I stopped last time, and I'm having a really good time with it. I do find myself dissatisfied with the game's skirmishes (free missions) in terms of the money and experience you receive for finishing them, but it's not a huge deal, I guess. I'd like to get this and the sequel finished before the fourth game comes out later this month, but that's seeming less and less likely as time goes on.

I'll be picking up Spider-Man tonight, and I'll add that to the rotation, but hopefully, I can get them all finished without issues.

9. Undead

Undead Senior Member

Deadpool on my PS4.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Picked up the tomb raider croft steelbook edition for the xbox one. I hadn't preordered so i was glad it was still there at gamestop. I didnt want it for the steelbook i mainly wanted it so i didn't have to get the season pass seperately. Im sure i didn't save any money but i wanted it together.

Its a top notch game all around of course. Though i had just watched a retrospective on uncharted the other night and it just dawned on me - lara croft is chloe from uncharted!!!! Well i guess its more proper to say they modeled Chloe off of lara im sure :D

The graphics, sound and gameplay are all finely honed. Basically its everything you want from a uncharted wanna be. Of course i know tomb raider came before uncharted so uncharted really copied tomb raider and they both are copying the master that is INDIANA JONES! who of course himself an homage to 30s serials (though i never saw a list of which serials lucas was referencing?!?)

Pure and simple if you wantca top notch a+++ single player immersive platformer action game shadow of the tomb raider is your game! By the way i played the first two tomb raiders on my xbox so it unlocked somd outfit and weapons pack like assassins creed and the tales series do for playing previous titles. Im sure thats not limited to these three games i mentioned.

11. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

Bought Hyper Light Drifter and Dead Cells on my Switch and they're really good. The graphic styles are beautiful, mechanics feel good, they're perfect for short play sessions, it's all real nice. I'm really bad at both right now so I'm still chugging through the early bits, but I'm having fun.

12. DcRising

DcRising Newbie

I had been playing a decent amount of BFA but with Spider-Man and DQ XI both launching last week I have scaled back on that. I have been barely able to put Spider-Man down since last friday and am at 70% total completion. DQ XI will be resumed once I 100% this. Been playing a little more fortnite again now that they have made some changes I agree with like taking the drum gun out.

13. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Just finished up Valkyria Chronicles 4.

I only finished the first game a little over a week ago, so my memory is ripe with comparisons of the two, and in that sense, I would say that I found the fourth entry more enjoyable than the first in just about every possible sense. It's still just as predictable as the first was, but enjoyable nevertheless. I wouldn't recommend going into either game expecting any kind of compelling twist, as they're both incredibly transparent in that sense.

As a whole, I think I prefer Squad 7 ever so slightly to Squad E, but only just so, and only when they're taken as a whole. When taken individually, I liked everyone here, usually just as much, if not more than their VC1 counterparts. I will say that I think 4 wins out in just about every way so far as characterization is concerned. Your non-locked squadmates feel more like actual characters than in the first. Honestly, as of this moment, I can only really remember squaddies Vyse and Aika from the first game, and only because they're literally the main characters of another game.

Going further on that point, Walz and Crymaria alone are far more compelling than the entire cast of villains from the first game. I think the main villain falls kind of flat, and while Forsetti has his moments, his character turn is jumbled all to hell. Heinrich's toadies were definitely one note to a fault, but because of the bit of backstory attached to them, I actually ended up liking their role in the story. Compare this to the first game, where Maximillian is as dull as an Imperial footsoldier, and Jaeger felt empty of all emotion and basically said the same line in every other line of dialogue he had. Only Selvaria really stands out in the first game's cavalcade of baddies, and I can't say she had that much going for her either, as just as she gets interesting, she literally disappears off the face of the earth. Gregor gets to show an interesting side, but after the sole scene where it is expressed, he reverts to his drab Tarkin-esque characterization and we're never again reminded of that side of him.

I would give the first game the edge in a romantic sense, as Welkin and Alicia are actually given preference there, whereas everyone in 4 is focused on the issues at hand, rather than getting off, but I actually think that Walz and Crymaria were a more interesting pairing than the Gunthers. Walz is by far my favorite character in the franchise, and I started out hating his guts, so I'd say that's worth something. His antics wore me down, I guess - he's my dude.

The story, despite how easily it is to predict, is enjoyable, more so than the first game for me. The first game digs more into the Darcsen Calamity and the racism attached to that, where this game rarely even touches on it despite taking place at literally the exact same time, something that is admittedly quite strange. Given that this game is a companion to the original through and through, you'd think there'd be some semblance of This is more of a straightforward war story, more about how different armies chose to utilize the Valkyria, and that stuff is really interesting. The "good guys" using children of Valkyrian blood as batteries is honestly pretty awesome, and the way that it's handled kept me compelled, though it isn't explored as much as I'd have liked. My more prevalent complaint is that the game just kind of ends - I felt like they had a better grasp of what people want to see in the post-credits of the first one and that here, they kinda just needed to move on to the next thing. The ending itself was fine though, so whatever, I guess.

One of my favorite improvements here is in how treats the death. It's done with a helluva lot more reverence than in it's predecessor. In the first entry, Welkin is effectively over Isara's death in about one cutscene, and it barely ever comes up again, whereas Claude talks about Raz in just about every other cutscene after his exit. We're supposed to be shocked when Maximillian orders Selvaria to go nuclear in spite of how much she cared for him, but it's not like Welkin and the rest of the group showed that much more for Isara; he and Alicia show more emotion toward an unnamed enemy combatant than they do their best friend. Rosie's character is the only one that takes a turn based on Isara's demise, and she hardly earned it, having been a shithead to her solely because of race throughout the entire game.

Also, Hans was stupid and Rags makes way more sense, but like Hans, Rags is barely in the game at all - like, I swear the developers forgot about Hans the first time, and they only did slightly better by rags.

This game made some adjustments to the battle system that I think worked pretty effectively. It introduces one new class, the grenadier, a soldier carrying a mortar - I liken them to Fire Emblem's trope of giving you a paladin in the early game; incredibly powerful early game, but slowly tapers off while eating up experience that you could use for other soldier types. The game made all vehicles only take one Command Point to move, compared to only light vehicles in VC2, with the tradeoff being limited ammo in the main cannon, not dissimilar to how the tank's mortar rounds worked in earlier games. Similarly, the grenadier also has limited ammo for their turns but can intercept fire regardless of ammo count. Because of this, and the Engineer classes' newfound ability to refill ammo, after about the halfway point I never really found much use for them. They just couldn't out-damage the tanks, nor match their utility.

The game handles difficulty way better than the first. I never felt like Valkyria Chronicles was hard - I only felt like Valkyria Chronicles was cheap; not telling you essential information, not giving your orders, etc. It was a frustrating experience to play sometimes. This game doesn't feel anywhere near as cheap most of the time, there was a semi-frequent issue with aiming up close that cropped up a few times where the character would just shoot through the enemy. I don't recall that ever happening in the first one, nor in my brief time with the second. With that said, because it takes out a good portion of that cheapness, in conjunction with the tank's low command cost, it is a much, much easier game than the first. Still, just like the first game, by the time I got around to the final chapters, I was pretty much sick of the gameplay. Granted, with 4, I had played a helluva lot of Valkyria going into it, but I don't think that was the only factor. It just takes so long to get through these games - I got through something like 40 podcast episodes during gameplay alone.

Hands down the greatest of the improvements is that the old man who taught orders in the first game has been replaced with a mess hall, where you can converse with to acquire a new order. So long as there is one to learn, it will always show up, you pay EXP just the same, but the option is always there. In the first title, when I first visited the cemetery, I didn't have the experience to learn the order, and he literally never gave me the opportunity to learn one again. Before it was undisputably terrible and now it works. I'm not entirely sure if that's a product of VC3 or this one but it's seriously the best change they could've made.

It's hard for me to pinpoint any graphical differences between this and the first game, as I played that on PC with max settings, versus this on PlayStation 4 Pro. Honestly, I'm sure it probably looks a little better, but I really couldn't tell at all. Performance wise, it was rock solid - no crashes, no lag, no issues with game suspension, nothing notable to report at all.

If you enjoyed the first game, you shouldn't have much of a problem enjoying this one, if you're new to the series, while you could start on VC4 with virtually no spoilers for the first, if you think you'll enjoy it, I'd recommend starting with number 1 and powering through it, as I think going backward from 4 would be painful. There's a demo of Valkyria 4 available if you'd like to try out the series gameplay before you decide. No matter where you choose to start, I'd recommend a low buy-in, as I can't imagine that many folks getting invested enough to do the extra content or replay the games. I can't imagine that I will play VC1 again in my lifetime, but it's worth at least giving it a shot, but It certainly won't be for everyone.

They're both long, so you'll get your money's worth in that sense, but I'd recommend waiting as I really don't see these games as very replayable, nor do I find the additional skirmishes compelling. Valkyria Chronicles 4 does offer Squad Stories, which are essentially the skirmishes repackaged with some dialogue attached, so it does have something to offer in terms of extra content, but I just can't wrap my head around wanting to play even more of the same gameplay on the same maps with the same classes, with no plot left to motivate me to do so. Maybe you'll want to, but for me, it's unfathomable.

Eventually, I'll get around to 2 and 3, but I can't say I'm eager for more of the battle system at this point. I'm just glad I can finally put this series on the backburner for a while and dig into my backlog again. I've put in something like 100 hours into the three VC games that I've played over the last few weeks and I'm exhausted. Hell, I put another hour into rambling through this, so I'm really overdue for a break from this franchise.

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Just picked up megaman 11 for xbox one. haven't opened it yet (literally an hour ago at bestbuy).

I got a good ways through shadow of the tomb raider. I do like it. It takes what the others did and adds to it. While it is obviously a rip off of uncharted the uncharted series does owe something to the original tomb raider games.

I also finally opened assassins creed odyssey. Unfortunatley i havent finished ac origins yet. i do like how well odyseey plays mechanic wise. Very fluid. Only damn thing is i never "equiped" myself when i started friday night so i cant continue the main story yet! I'm up to level 3 already and ive completed a few side quests so id hate to start a new game. i'm having a hard time trying to find a map online that shows your starting point. Thats where i have to go back to open a chest or something to start the story line. Graphically its amazing even on my original xbox one on a normal 1080p set.

I do have red dead 2 preordered and im definitely looking forward to that too :) I think the next halo game is the only thing for me next year. It better be i have too many games to get too!!

15. Yajuu_Kikuishi

Yajuu_Kikuishi Active Member

Playing a lot of Destiny 2 at the moment; finally got around to getting the DLC and just finished the Forsaken story. I don't know what it is about Destiny 2 but anytime I play it I become super addicted. This didn't happen with the first one. I'm even doing online stuff which I never normally do.

On top of that I've just started AC Odyssey; I was super looking forward to this because of the Ancient Greece setting and so far I haven't been disappointed. As with all AC games, I've done a few of the Main Quests (to get the tutorials done basically) and have now started the systematic completion of collectibles and Side Quests. I'm still not a huge fan of the change up in gameplay that Origins introduced but it doesn't ruin it enough to seriously complain.

16. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Started playing Killzone. Nice little overhead ARPG. Plays a lot like the Van Helsing games and reminds me of Baldurs gate. Difficulty is kinda wonky though for it to only be the 2nd level but I think Ill stick with it.

Also finally got back to where I ended on my first Skyrim playthrough where I thought I beat the game after Killing Audin. -_-

I think Im close to actually really beating the game now. I enjoyed skyrim but I really want to finish so I can start finishing my backlog of other games. I have bad habit of starting new games in the middle of playing others, which leaves me a backlog of half finished games lol.

#1096 Dunn x Dolo, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  17. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thats the story of my life :D. Unopened games are the worst though i only have a few of those.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  18. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

I have to make sure I don't touch Dark Souls or Dark Souls 3. For some reason no matter what I am already playing, if I start a game on DS or DS3 I just completely forget what Im playing and play those games all the way through. I love the series too much. lol

yoda313 likes this.
  19. DcRising

DcRising Newbie

100% Spider-Man and went back to Dragon Quest XI. I am about 20 hours into it now and it was of my favorite RPG's of 2018. I also picked up Mega Man 11 which is surprisingly good. It is short but for 30 bucks not too bad.

20. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Ive been playing Psycho pass: Mandatory Happiness on my Vita, since I finished 7s'Carlet, and Style Savvy: Styling Star on my 3DS.
    The latter being super fun, I played the demo back in December and loved it, but didn't want to pay a full $40 for it, but my Nintendo came through with those platinum points. Anyway, I'm going to go restock my lolita section, I've got a rich client that eats that shit up.