What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Decided I have done enough on Skyrim so I decided to take a break from it.

Started playing Dead Space 3. Always wondered why everybody disliked it. I mean yeah its more action then horror but the game itself was still pretty good. Love the weapon customization. Working my way to getting the Rocket Launcher or grenade launcher than its pretty much easy street for most of the game. :p

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Picked up a nes and snes classic over the weekend. I just finally gave in and gave up on my grudge against nintendo. I was still Harboring ill will against them for the limited quantity crap during the initial releases. But i decided i finally wanted them bad enough. Part of it was i ordered a Chinese knock off nes mini and it was ok with hdmi but it was stretched to wide screen only and the roms were in Chinese. For most games its not a problem but the widescreen really bugged me. It was only 50.00 usd so i wasnt out much and its still usable.

But i did do the hackchi rom hack for both minis. That was perfect! I was able to get my whole nes rom set on the nes mini and they all play flawlessly as far as i can tell. Only trouble with the snes mini is it only has 290mb or so and i had to cut more than half the roms out. So i dumped the sports games, a few sequels and games i never heard of. Fortunately the snes roms appear flawless too. I just havent done the box art yet. But that will take more space and more time so im not sure ill reflash it just for the box art.

I still cant believe how small they are :D i also got the wireless controller for the nes mini. Not sure if there is one for the snes.

Ill be balancing my current console time between shadow of the tomb raider, ac odyssey and mega man 11 until red dead 2 comes out :)

3. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Got the Devil May Cry HD collection since it was on a discount. Man, I love the first DMC games, never played the newer ones, but it just doesn't feel the same from what I saw of the newer ones.

4. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

As of just a minute ago, I finished Firewatch. I wrapped the whole thing up in one sitting - probably about five hours.

I had a really good time with it. Excellent narrative. Loath as I am to use the term, I've gotta praise the game's atmosphere - it really puts you on the edge of your seat basically really effectively. The gameplay system supporting the story is solid, but it can sometimes be a little frustrating, but I think a lot of it is in service to the duo's conversations. That said, the bit coming up toward the end had me hiking to a walkthrough because I was hopelessly dazed and confused. Admittedly the ending left me filling a little unfulfilled, but I think it was at least okay. With a better conclusion, I'd say this would be one of the best adventure games of last few decades, and maybe it still is, but I don't think it rates anywhere near as highly. It's worth checking out all the same.

I also finished Super Dodge Ball Advance just a few days ago.

HowLongToBeat lists the main story at about 1 hour to complete, give or take, but I'm fairly sure that I wrapped the whole thing up in about half an hour. It's terribly flawed as one of these games; admittedly, I haven't played any game in this franchise in at least ten years, but in this entry, merely tapping the catch button effectively gives you invincibility - it requires absolutely no timing, and mashing will keep you safe from almost every throw that ever comes your way. It's still enjoyable to a certain extent, but I'd like to see that tightened up to require some timing in other entries, assuming I ever end up playing another one.

5. Pass_the_M

Pass_the_M New Member

Just got the true ending in Valkyria Chronicles 4 and am now finishing up the DLC and post game content. Also finishing up Valkyria Revolutuin, which I have been playing on and off, didn't really get into it until I figure out the ragnite system. After that I plan playing Fist of the North Star and Dragon Quest XI to close out the year. After that I want to start Legends of Heroes Trails in the Sky.

6. LilithVonBoch

LilithVonBoch Born to struggle, raised to strive.

Inb4 red dead redemption 2.

7. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Got Bloodstained Curse of the Moon. Love the Castlevania throwback of the Good ol NES days. Really enjoying the game. Retro music, retro gameplay, Difficulty is there but not to the point where I wanna punch a random stranger. Already beat it but I wanna go for the other 2 endings.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Picking up rdr2 steelbook tonight. Had it preordered for a year! :D

Is the bloodstain download only?

9. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Y
    I believe so. I don't think there are any physical copies. Don't quote me on that though.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Drat.

Funny though i downloaded the two megaman collections butbought the megaman 11 disc. I prefer disc but im inconsistent :D

11. Fantasy

Fantasy The Saint of SC
    Staff Advisory

Hooked up on Stardew Valley (PS4 and PC)... It is becoming a serious medical case :(

12. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

So I'm about 8 hours in RDR2, games pace is very slow, but I hear it picks up, will continue playing this puppy and see where it goes :)

13. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

I've played a pretty sizeable amount of Red Dead Redemption 2 in the past few days.

It's Red Dead Redemption alright. Pretty fun, solid narrative. The game has some pretty competent customization - I'm not entirely sold on that many of the clothing items, but in this entry, you're able to build your entire outfit separately; hat, shirt, pants, spurs, gloves, vests and a whole lot more - I imagine we'll be seeing more of this when the multiplayer drops. It also has procedural hair growth for hair and facial hair alike, which is neat, though I'd appreciate an option to lock the facial hair at whatever length you like, as I much prefer the clean shaven look - mainly because I think he looks a bit like Robert Taylor, and that's cool.

It has a lot of quirks that I'm finding rather irritating, but it's mostly little stuff, and a lot of them were in the first entry, so I don't hold it against it that much. Some stuff is more aggravating than anything else; the game has a tendency to unequip your heavier weaponry, the match speed button still has the same half-assed steering attached to it and it still doesn't help, so I'm not sure why they bothered with that bit. Using items mid-combat can also be incredibly frustrating too. Missions still have that long wind-up time as well, which I understand is Rockstar's way of working in lengthy dialogue without having to animate cutscenes, but still, having to hoof it across the map time after time it can be a little disheartening. I will never understand why Rockstar decided that the button used to initiate conversation should be the same one that'll pull your gun out. The number of times that I've saved some fella getting attacked by wolves only for me to accidentally point my gun at him and have him fuck off back to Russia is maddening.

A more prevalent issue for me is Arthur's voice, which can be rather annoying. If he was a side character, it wouldn't be a problem, but as someone you hear near constantly, it's especially irritating. It's one of the thickest, most exaggerated accents I have ever heard. The worst part is that I've seen clips of this actor doing a southern accent, nay, this southern accent, and it wasn't anywhere near as over-the-top, so I've gotta put it on Rockstar's voice direction. If he had just reprised that it'd be okay, but instead he's stuck giving this pronounced, exhausted performance in almost every other sentence returning to that gravelly delivery, and it really gets on the nerves after a while. When he's staying a more neutral tone it can be quite good, but it's so sporadic that it really puts a damper on things.

As westerns go, it's no Young Guns, but I'm having fun with it. I'm interested to get into the online, whenever that happens.

14. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Havent given up Bloodstained Curse of the moon yet, but Im taking a break. I need to go back and get the last 3 endings.

Started playing Victor Vran which was free on Exbawks live a few weeks ago. Typical overhead ARPG. Plays a lot like the Van Helsing games where you are fighting hordes of monsters and stuff. Gameplay doesn't seem as overly complicated and its more simplified though so I kind of enjoy it. Not to far into the game but the only thing I can actually complain about is how fast the camera turns. Its almost vomit inducing. Im not sure if it can be tweaked or not but gawd its ridiculously too fast.

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Got crash bandicoot fir the xbox one and a jrpg that i forgot already. I have three aaa games to go through:

Shadow of the tomb raider
    Assassins creed odyssey
    Red dead redemption 2

So far the only must have game for me on the horizon is the next halo next year. Thats good I have way too many games to get too, way way too many :D

16. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

Bought stardew valley on steam recently. Also, a kickstarter game called Tsioque just got released! It's really great so far, if you like point and click adventure games than I highly recommend it to you. Best of all, it's REALLY cheap!

17. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

I finished Red Dead Redemption 2 a while ago. I actually wrote a huge thing about it, but apparently, I forgot to actually submit it, so that's lost to time.

To summarize the bullet points, Arthur Morgan is a fantastic protagonist, one of my favorites, game or otherwise. After about the midway point, he's given proper character arc, and that allows him a lot of time to develop as a character and because of that, I ended up loving the game. I complained about his voice performance in my previous post about it, and whether or not the direction was tighter in the second half, or because I liked the character too much to even care by that point is ultimately immaterial, because it just didn't happen. It still had the same lengthy rides from mission start to mission end, but frankly, I stopped giving a damn. I kept playing because I wanted to see where Arthur went, and I was pleasantly surprised with Rockstar's writing team. It's one of the best western tales ever told and I had a fantastic time with it.

---

Besides that, I haven't been doing that much. I've been re-watching my way through all of the Marvel movies, so I haven't been able to do much else. I did pick up the Azure Striker Gunvote Striker Pack for Switch earlier today, and I've been into that all day.

It's really fun. It's essentially Mega Man Zero, with some fun design quirks. I could never get into Zero's games, but I've been having a lot of fun with this. It lets you move incredibly fast, and I've loved that. I've replayed a lot of levels just for fun, something the game encourages you to do pretty effectively, rather than sealing them off after completion like most titles made in the style of Mega Man. You're given challenges that you can try to complete, which allows you to gain some extra benefit, via crafting items or money, just for doing levels over and over if you're so inclined. I haven't even touched the second game yet, because I've been totally engaged with this all day - I've played more than five hours, and I've only really stopped to write this. I got it for less than 20 bucks at my local, and for that price, it was well worth every penny.

18. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Started playing CrossCode, I'm enjoying it so far.

19. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

Just started playing Taiko Drum n' Fun on the switch. Motion controls suck but the game itself is really good.

20. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Gosh, I have so many games that I own and still need to play. This week, I've been playing Oceanhorn. It's a lot like Zelda although maybe not quite as good. Then again, it would have a lot to live up to hehe. It's still really enjoyable though.

Old Man's Journey is one of the games I got in last month's Humble Bundle and just opened up today. As a designer, I can definitely appreciate the art direction and little story going on, but as a gamer, it's hella boring.