What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Went and bought Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2 since it was only 9 bucks.

I also bought the DLC for Dark Souls 3 finally. Started playing and holy shit did they up the difficulty on this bs. Not looking forward to that sister friede boss fight. -_-

2. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Just played the demo for ffxv windows edition on steam its also my first ever ff game. I actually think its really nice and like it despite all the people saying they didn't.

Anyone have any idea if the game is going to get any cheaper or will this be as cheap as it gets?

3. LilithVonBoch

LilithVonBoch Born to struggle, raised to strive.

Which version? If you really can't deal with her I'll come help if you want.

4. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

The Final Fantasy Games are excellent and worth what they are going for now. You should just go for it. I've played some of the older ones on Playstation in the past. Kinda torn on whether to buy the newest game for my mac. I'll probably leave it for a while since I've got so many games on Steam currently lol that it would be just hoarding at this stage.

Final Fantasy XIV The Complete Edition is going for €17.99 on Humble Bundle right now, (with 10% additional discount.) Bit cheaper than Steam. BUT, it's not a Steam key, it's Square Enix key. I have a 10% discount that I can share with one friend for month November if you want it. Let me know.

5. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I put Gunvolt aside for a while so that I could get into Pokemon, and I also picked up Skyrim, which I've beaten before.

Pokemon: Let's Go Pikachu, or Eevee if you're so inclined, was a surprise.

I picked it up on Tuesday and I wrapped the Elite 4 just before this write-up. I'm on pace to finish the Pokedex later today, I just need to wrap up some trades and we're done. It's a great Pokemon game. If you weren't aware, this is actually just a remake, reimagining, what have you, of Pokemon Yellow. They've made some tweaks in how you catch the pokemon themselves, but everything else is pretty much the same, besides some quality of life improvements. For example, they've added the Pokemon box to your inventory, rather than forcing you to run to centers to swap out your team members. They've gotten rid of the bike and worked it into a party function, so you'll ride Arcanine, Charizard or anything capable of carrying the player character. I never felt like I needed to have a mount though, so I didn't take much advantage of it here - a first for me in a Pokemon game - and instead had my Sandshrew following me around.

Pokemon Y was a chore to finish, to the point that I borrowed members of a friend's party so that I didn't have to grind out my own team, and this is so much better in pretty much every possible way. The loads times in Y bogged down the experience so much that you didn't want to battle at all, or more than usual in this franchise. Because you get experience points for catching the Pokemon, you're able to speed up the grind significantly, assuming you have to do it at all. That same mechanic also adds some variety, taking some pressure off of the franchise's often lifeless battle system. It isn't perfect, but it's a damn sight better than what it was before. Shiny farming has also seen improvements; the charm returns, massively cutting down the odds of appearance, and catching the same evolution of a line will result in a further increased chance. I managed to grind out a Shiny Sandshrew before acquiring the charm in just a few hours through sheer persistence and a little bit of luck.

The game is rather easy, but seeing as I've finished Emerald with only a couple Pokemon, it's hard for me to hold that specifically against this one. You'll collect loads of candies that increase stats one-by-one as you continue catching Pokemon, which probably doesn't help matters, but I like doing it all the same. The developers got rid the holding slot that the pokemon used to have, which probably adds a small amount of challenge back in, assuming you actually used that mechanic, but it means items like the Everstone have been completely removed, much to my chagrin. This ultimately meant I had very little choice in holding onto my Shiny companion as she was.

Giving you a constant companion is a charming addition as it just kind of gives you a defacto party leader, and since both options are really cute, you get some eye candy for the cutscenes and some much-appreciated elements of humor that are virtually non-existent in previous games. If you weren't aware, like me, Sun and Moon removed HM moves and this game carried that over - HMs were things like surf, cut and flight, so that you don't have to waste your party's move slots on otherwise weak moves, - but if you want to use any of those, they've been changed into TM moves instead. That is a dynamite change, and one that I really think has to come back in the next game. Because I feel like almost everything this game did was for the betterment of the series, it does lead me to think that this is, if not the finest game in the series, at least one of the best, and certainly the easiest to jump into. It's worth a look if you can still stomach the Pokemon battle system.

Oh, and, in case you're curious, so long as you've got multiple profiles on your Switch you'll be able to have and keep multiple save files with one copy of the game. And, surprisingly, none of the online features seem to require a subscription to Nintendo's online service. Glad I'm getting so much use out of that thing. :p

---

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is... well, Skyrim.

Because everybody owns multiple copies of it by now (I've never bought it and I still own it twice) so I don't see much benefit in describing it in detail, so I'll knock it out quick. It is still pretty fun, still really boring, still super repetitive, and it still has random difficulty leaps that I can't quite understand. I picked it up on the Xbox One during the sale, and the mods certainly help, making the game look nicer and play a bit better in most-all aspects, though the modding in this game feels very clunky in ways that it didn't in Fallout 4. Now, if we can just remove encumbrance from the next Bethesda game entirely, I think that world peace can, and will, be achieved. I think I'm going to have to put it on ice pretty soon because it's gonna be the death of me otherwise.

#1125 Novaire, Nov 25, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2018
  6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Earlier this week i put sometime into the crash bandicoot nsane trilogy remaster. I never played it before . It's a fun platformer. Since most of it seems to be down a tunnel oneway would this be considered a rail shooter in essence? I forget the exact term used for flight combat games that dont have free range and are guided experiences. Im thinking its railshooter but i dont remember for sure. Its quirky fun but im already annoyed with the credits voice guy. Irritated i guess is more appropriate. I think its the delivery more than anything.

I also made a point to get into one of my three top purchases - assassins creed odyssey, shadow of the tomb raider or red dead redemption 2 during my thanksgiving break (by top meaning the ultimate steelbook versions for each game at launch all on xbox one). I ended up putting a few hours into red dead 2. Damn this is a fine, super fine game. Everything about the original thst was great was just magnified a thousand times. If you ever need an example of what immersion means to a game just use red dead redemption 2 as a perfect example. So realistic im surprised i haven't gotten hay fever from the rolling tumbleweed yet :D b

7. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Bought The Witcher 3 GOTY and GTA V, while my mom's husband bought Detroit Become Human. So, yeah, I got stuff to play now.

8. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Well I already beat her, the other dlc bosses with my Strength character so Im good. I tried to go back in with my Pyromancer character and shes busting my ass lol. I will prevail though. Boy do I miss being able to take a little damage though. My Pyromancer is almost glass cannon lol.

9. Randoms

Randoms Ridiculously Awesome Randomness
    Silver Founder Plus

I'm currently playing Fallout 76. Honestly, it's not as bad as everyone is claiming it to be. I'm not defending that it has some gamebreaking bugs that I hope they fix soon. And many of the criticism is valid such as VATS and the stash limit which I also hope they address. But for an online Bethesda game, it solidly fits into the fallout universe (retcon aside). The quests are fun, and some are even surprising. The world is beautiful. I like how much verticality they added, and not just through skyscrapers but also though mountains. One of the early areas was flooded, and they did a good job differentiating that rubble compared to the tried and true "nuked and aged" design. I feel the one of the biggest things people gripe about is how the lore is delivered, but personally, I think it's fine how it is. I've read stories of people making their own factions or enforcing exiting factions that I hope to be apart of.

I'm currently tying to make a doctor/sniper build and when I'm higher enough leveled, am going to make a doctor's clinic. Perhaps even a mini clinic I can travel around with. If I have to, I can shoot would be raiders at a distance. If possible I was going to build a medic rifle that shoots healing darts (not sure if the syringer can work this way). Right now, I'm rocking a sniper rifle I found in one of the mining company head's home for distance combat, and a ski sword / 10mm pistol for close encounters. I have a few power armor frames, one for sale if anyone is interested.

#1129 Randoms, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  10. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

The game gets boring fast if you're playing solo, no NPCs, forcing people to discover lore by means of collectibles, old af engine, bad graphics, bad PvP system, bad performance and shady marketing strategies (preorder "beta"), not sure if I forgot something, probably did.
    The thing it has going for it, is creature design and perk system, but other then that... not much else.

I love Fallout, but this just sucks. Give it to Obsidian or just lay off the series.

Then again, considering Obsidian is with Microsoft now, Idk how that would go.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Is it the assassins creed effect? They did finally take a year off to get origins out. I love em all but i will say the changes were good.

I did buy earthworm and jim 1 and 2 and 3d and the bubsy remaster on gog for 10.00 yesterday (well a little over 10).

12. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

13. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Believe In Death

Yo-Kai Blasters: Red Cat Corps
    Yo-Kai Blasters: White Dog Squad

I have both versions and have well over 100+ hours involved in both and I'm not even close to completing the game. The basic story is you are a group of Yo-kai Blasters, essentially ghostbusters, you go out to protect the weak and fight spirits causing harm and chaos. But your team is a laughingstock of the Blasters so a new leader is sent in to whip your team into shape. The real treat is all the extra details in the game such as the crank machines (which can net you rare items and even rare Yo-kai for your team) or the befriending system which allows you to fight other Yo-kai and if the cards are stacked correctly, a mini game will activate and they will join your team. Both versions come with their own unique boss fights as well as unique Yo-kai, only available in that version. Both versions also allow you fight the bosses on harder and harder difficulties, ending with you having that boss join your team if you can beat them on the hardest setting, something I have yet to do. On White Dog Squad, I have completed the main story, but not the after game modes. And I haven't even touched Moon Rabbit Crew, a DLC that was added to both games (for free) that adds another storyline, new Yo-kai, new bosses, new modes, and other goodies. It's basically another game added. This is one of those games where you can play for days on end and not even come close to getting everything there is to get.

14. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I got Disgaea 5 for the PC, some new RPG's from shannon that she gave me after I threw a Terraria to them. Also picked up a few others that I might be playing soon that was on sale. I got a System Shock 2, and Fractured by whole all on sale with some others, like vampire the masquerade bloodlines.

15. Neji195

Neji195 Not your average "Newbie"

I need to buy a PS4 because I desperately want to play the new Spider-Man game, as well as Dragon Ball Fighters, which I have just discovered.

16. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Started playing Dragon Age 2 since it was free on Exbawks. Game isn't too bad so far. Controls could use some fine tuning but that's about the only bad thing I can say about it so far. Stay tuned.

17. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Had to go out and pick up Super Smash Bros. Ultimate at midnight on launch night, as Amazon failed to get it delivered due to a minuscule amount of snow. I had to get it at Walmart neither my local or the nearby GameStop were doing an early release for it. Couldn't tell you why - seems like a no-brainer to me.

Having to unlock more than 60 characters sounds fun for about two minutes, and then an hour and a half later you've gotten like four more people and you're just confounded that they chose to make you do chores right after you bought their game, and you're apparently on their shitlist, because you're gonna do them for days. Do yourself a favor, if you're trying to hunt down the other folks, follow this verbatim:
    1. Create a custom Smash gametype with 1 stock as the limit.
    2. Play said gametype and either beat the computer or simply run off of the edge.
    3. Fight and defeat the challenger that approaches. This will add them to your roster.
    4. Hit the home button and close Smash soon as soon as you feel comfortable, I did so after closing the notification screen each time.
    5. Rinse and repeat. The first match seems to guarantee that you'll encounter a new challenger every single time, and winning has no bearing on that.
    Without using this exploit, it's going to take weeks to unlock everyone. World of Light is entirely unhelpful, as you only get a character once every 4-to-8 battles or so. Arcade mode isn't much better either, and I wasn't able to guarantee unlocks from it each time, and it takes way longer. Also, keep in mind that if you lose to challengers they'll be added to a pool in the Games & More menu in the bottom right, and every once in a while you'll be able to challenge them again. It still took hours upon hours to finish out the roster, but the alternative is quitting your job to play Smash Bros full time. Luckily for everyone working through the unlock cycle, this game has perhaps the best load times of any fighter I've ever played, console or PC. I timed it at just about five seconds, less than half that of Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition on an excellent PC.

As online goes, it's been pretty reliable, out of roughly 15 matches, I'd say that only one has been unplayable. I found that my Amazon Basics USB to Ethernet adapter was compatible with the Switch (significantly cheaper than the official ones), so I've been playing in my best possible scenario. I'm unable to say what others are using, but I have to assume that at least some, if not most of them were on wireless, so it seems pretty solid to me.

#1137 Novaire, Dec 8, 2018 at 3:53 PM
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    Red_Dragon likes this.
  18. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

Got my Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Special Edition sent to me, well worth the wait. It's the one that comes in the box with the White Smash Bros Pro Controller, and the game in a metal case.

I already have a Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Pro Controller so I think I'm going to just save that Pro Controller for the time being.

19. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Dust: An Elysian Tale. Okay, it's more or less a Castlevania clone, but a really good one.

I won a copy of Beholder 2. Developer was giving away 100 copies after the release of the game this week, so gonna have to play that soon. ^^

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I bought stay wars Jedi challenges yesterday. Its a self contained ar game that uses your phone. It's sweet. Seeing your lightsaber ignite is incredible.

Early on at least it's a little too easy to deflect the blaster bolts back at the prequel droids. It's super satisfying when you do hit them with their own blast though. I did lose to Darth maul on my first playthrough though. It was weird he wasnt always the same proportion. I might need to position the sensor ball lower or do some recalibration.

I wonder if any other games have been hacked to utilize the helmet?