What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I finished Nelson Tethers: Puzzle Agent yesterday morning. It's one the few games that Telltale developed during the period where I loved them so much that I hadn't played.

It's still fun, but it's kind of unremarkable as puzzle games go. The story and characters are fun and interesting, but the puzzles suffer from some problems. They are pretty poorly weighted, like a dumbbell with five pounds on one end and thirty on the other. Some are fun but rather easy, while others are stubbornly difficult, some due in part to the lack of a feature that I'll get to in a moment. There's not a lot of middle ground. It has hints and all that jive to help struggling players, but in general, it can be pretty rough around the edges. As I alluded to before, the game is desperately lacking a feature allowing you to pause the puzzle and write or draw on the screen, something seen in Professor Layton and the Curious Village years before this game was released. It's especially missed here, as the puzzles almost never update as you continue to work on solving them. It's something that'd be immensely helpful in just about every puzzle in the game, and without it, you're stuck wasting printer paper to figure out which bird goes where.

It ends on a cliffhanger, so you'll have to play the second one as well, but if you're in the market for a cool, Fargo-esque adventure game, it's worth a shot. It's always cheap during Steam sales, and only five dollars normally for that matter, so it won't set you back much, and you'll probably get about four hours out of it. The world of Puzzle Agent is fun, as is the story, so I had a good time with it, in spite of some qualms about the even-ness of the puzzles.

#1141 Novaire, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  2. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Been playing lots of visual novels lately. Just going to list them all here:

Recently Completed
    • Cartagra
    • Ever17
    • 428 Shibuya Scramble
    • Muv-Luv Alternative
    Currently Playing
    • Kara no Shoujo
    • Swan Song
    • Aoishiro
    • The Labyrinth of Grisaia
    • Root Double
    • Fate/hollow ataraxia
    On top of the six visual novels I'm playing, I also bought Hitman 2: Gold Edition and Two Point Hospital recently. The former cost me a lot, at $129. Regretted it, sold my 3DS, my PS4 Dualshock-4 controller, and my "Corpse Party: Blood Drive" Vita game to make up for the loss. Hitman's fun and all, but it feels empty after playing it for a long period of time compared to VNs with their rich stories and characters. It's a sandbox game, after all. You wander around killing people in whatever ways you like, but there's no more meaning to that. Makes me feel kinda dead inside after a while.

Still, I'd be lying if I said I absolutely didn't have any fun at all. Hitman 2 really does take a long, long time to get through due to the complexity of each level. The huge variety of ways you could go about your mission is insane.

Two Point Hospital is a spiritual successor to an old game I used to play, "Theme Hospital", so I bought it out of nostalgia. It's not a bad game, but because it's a time-management/business strategy game, it can get tiring after a while too, more so than Hitman due to its fewer variety. The ridiculous nature of the different diseases (people with pans and lightbulbs stuck to their head, people who are obsessed with dressing up and acting like a literal clown) keeps you amused for a while, but after all, you realize you're playing a time-management game, stuck in the routine nature of keeping a business alive. The repetitive formula doesn't keep me playing.

But it's not a bad game, since you do feel that sense of accomplishment, much like most games I'd imagine, including Hitman 2. But both games aren't something I'd be obsessing with 12 hours per day, as opposed to visual novels.

3. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

I just wrapped up getting all of the Achievements for Human Fall Flat on Xbox One.

I played the game for the first time a few months back, and I liked it a lot, at first, but as I got into the final four levels, I got increasingly unhappy how long the levels began to last - it's comparable to Donkey Kong 64, seriously. So I stopped and happily put it away. Then, a few days ago, I forced a friend to subscribe to Game Pass so that we could play through Ashen together. As it turns out, Ashen's cooperative mode is baffling, archaic and only slightly functional, and only sometimes at that, So we started playing a few of the other multiplayer game pass, and this happened to be the first one that he picked.

Another friend joined us and something surprising happened; I had fun. I expected that to a point; you just can't have that bad a time with one of these quirky physics-based puzzle games, but I had a lot of fun. The level length isn't such a sore subject when you're tossing your friends off of ledges or latching onto their legs for dear life. Turns out, most of them aren't even that bad, but when you move from the sixth level to the seventh, which is probably double the size of the last huge level, everyone starts to worry that it's going to keep doing that, but it doesn't really, the following two aren't super long. If anything, I wanted even more, even before we got through those levels. I haven't had such a good time in a long while. So, when they scampered off to bed, I played more, and then I played some more, and as a few minutes ago, I'd become a player who has every single trophy that the game has to offer - something that I pretty much never do these days, with only Chroma Squad coming to mind.

As it turns out, I've learned a lot of the speed running tech, and mostly on my own at that, which is kind of cool. I've done loads of challenges, I've skipped major sections repeatedly, I've skipped all of the puzzles on levels, I've crawled along the undersides of the maps from start to end; I've found everything that there is to find and then some. I've had a stonkin' amount of fun playing the game over and over. I've finished every single level at least four times. It's the only game where I've ever felt like I could speedrun it if I wanted to, which I don't really, but I digress. This game gets an absolute recommendation from me if you've got some friends to play it with, having folks to play it with was really a blast, some of the most fun I've had in ages. By yourself, it's fun enough, but I think you'll have much more fun with some friends on your first go of it, and then you can make more your own fun when you're flying solo and have a better idea of what you can do with your arms. You're given such immense freedom (when the Devs aren't deciding that crawling under the map isn't a valid way to finish a mission), you make your own solutions if you don't like the ones they've laid out for you - it's just a great time.

#1143 Novaire, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  4. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Played a little "House of the Dead 3" out of nostalgia for the second game, but damn, it feels awfully short, even when compared to HotD2. The ending definitely feels a lot more lame and anticlimactic too, both with its soundtrack and presentation. HotD2 still gave me chills when fighting Magician from the previous game. That battle music was just sick. I like that they brought him back from the previous game and upgraded him with a sick music theme. The Emperor final boss in HotD2 seemed more mediocre in comparison though, unfortunately.

Meanwhile, I've been spending a lot of time with Two Point Hospital. It can be quite a tedious game to get through, being a management game. The most annoying part is the lack of space. Queues for your various treatment/diagnosis rooms can build up easily if you don't have enough of them, and if they wait long enough, they can actually die in your hospital. Honestly, it's a hospital for crying out loud. Why don't they have multi-storey buildings so I can build several diagnosis/treatment rooms in one go?

Earning money is also hard because all the funds I have go into training doctors and nurses to prevent them from killing my patients and better diagnose them. Buying buildings to have more space to build more rooms also sucks up all my funds. In the end, I just gave up and use a cheat trainer software to set "infinite money". lol Also, "instant training" so that all my staff are skilled from the beginning.

All that having said, this game is quite addicting, especially if you're getting better at the game. With my money cheat, getting through the game is easy now, which means it also becomes more addicting since I want to unlock more challenges and hospitals. Spent at least half my days playing this now.

On a sidenote, I pretty much gave up on Hitman 2. The last time I played it, the game lagged so hard I could barely move my character, let alone kill anyone. I'm just glad I earned back the money I used to buy this piece of shit.

5. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

I recently finished Red Dead Redemption 2 and I'm currently on my second playthrough. I pre-ordered it back in October and I've been playing it since, It's more than worth the hype. Probably one of the most detailed open world games I've played yet, and exploring is so fun that you don't even want to fast-travel. Though I will say that the multiplayer has been rather bland, even if it still is in beta. I really hope that they release some single player DLC in the future, it'd be a shame if it followed the same route as GTA V.

Also been playing Spider-Man lately. I'm a huge fan of anything marvel-related so it seemed like an obvious choice. The combat mechanics are really smooth so far; feels kind of similar to the Batman games. Also swinging around the city is just so darn satisfying.

6. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

I finished up The Bureau: XCOM Declassified yesterday.

This being the only 2K XCOM game that I hadn't finished, I figured I should probably give it a run through while I didn't have anything else going down. I had some mixed feelings about it. I started the game out on the standard difficulty, and, frankly, I just wasn't having any fun. The tactical stuff was a drag for a third-person shooter and not exactly compelling. It's essentially the exact same as the gameplay mechanisms of Mass Effect 2, except with Permadeath, and a slightly less clunky cover system. It doesn't touch Mass Effect 3 as what is probably the best third-person shooter gameplay system that's ever existed, but it's certainly comparable to the one found in Mass Effect 2. Like in those games, I never really felt like I wanted to command my teammate's abilities personally, but this game's difficulty is higher and the AI really doesn't take advantage of the skillsets that they have access to.

After about the midway point, I decided that the game just wasn't compatible with me, less so because of the difficulty and more because they've designated that you kind of have to play in the way that they intended it, so I switched the difficulty to one that was a notch lower. I don't think it would've been insurmountable, but if the alternative would lead to me dropping the game, I figured that it was probably the better option. This gave me the freedom to just play the game as a normal cover shooter, and I had much more fun playing it and, ironically, I ended up utilizing the game's strategy mechanics even more. Still, it wasn't a great video game, I did have a helluva lot of fun with it though.

And that is because the story was actually pretty compelling, especially in the last couple of hours. It's not particularly special, but it's well told after you get a little bit into the game (It kind of starts in an odd place, but it comes together a bit better a few missions down the line). The game does kind of an interesting thing in that it weaves what you think is kind of odd characterization, and the strategy menu into the plot, and it works really effectively. I honestly thought that it was the best moment in the entire game. That, along with a twist in the final hours, made for quite a cool finale.

All in all, I had a good time with The Bureau. I saved it for the end of the night and went through in the span of a few days. I thought the story was compelling, and the gameplay was satisfying enough after I made the adjustments. The setting is exactly where I'd like to see an XCOM 3 take place, and exploring it was really cool. I either got the game for free, or I paid $2.50 for it, I really can't remember, but I'd say that it was well worth either of those options. It isn't a must-play by any means, but as a fan of both the mainline XCOM and Mass Effect games, I thought it was a rewarding experience all the same.

7. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Started playing Never Alone.

Was actually quite surprised by this. Its a very beautiful game and also informative as it explains how natives live in Alaska. Gameplay is puzzle heavy and very challenging. Im only on Chapter 5 but I must say this is definitely something I would recommend for others to play.

8. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Played a little indie game called "Manual Samuel" yesterday, expecting it to be some adventure game with choices like The Walking Dead or at least interactivity, but it turned out to be this really annoying game where you have to control a character using a very awkward set of keys on your keyboard. And when you start the game for the first time, guess what the important message you'll see is? "This game is better with a controller." Yeah, that explains it. A PC game that works better with a controller.

Anyway, it's short enough that I managed to complete it and forgot about it. It was okay, and the comedy is... passable, I guess. It's the sort of 'quirky' humor that hipsters like to describe indie games with. You know the kind. Undertale-ish.

Meanwhile, Two Point Hospital is still going. I pretty much just play this occasionally on my spare time now instead of obsessing over it like I used to. Yep, starting to get bored of the routine, finally. lol But if I only got bored after 50 hours of gameplay, that's not too bad. But I pretty much hit that phase of the gaming experience where you've seen it all, and the rest of the game offers nothing new that grabs your attention or interest. It doesn't help that I'm one of those people who would only play a game once and forget about. Variety is my spice of life, and I don't like repeating a game that offers nothing new.

9. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Earth Defense Force 5.

Because killing giant bugs/frogs/robots while listening to the campiest dialogue never gets old.

EDF! EDF!

10. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I ended up buying the Spider-man, so I guess I'll be playing that.

11. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Played some Yakuza 0 last night, but got annoyed by two things:

1. The game plays smoother with a controller, and I recently sold away my PS4 dualshock controller... On KBM, I sucked hard playing the rhythm mini-game. Sigh. I hate playing rhythm games on KBM.

2. The game is basically GTA IV with yakuza. It's a massive game with 24gb, but I don't really like open-world games. It's just not my cup of tea. But the really disappointing thing is that I had presumed from reviews I read that the game can be played in any way you want, kinda like a visual novel with choices. But really, when it comes down to it, it's pretty much a false illusion of choice, and rather than "playing it your way," it's more like you're ticking off a series of checkboxes after every side-quest or location you've visited. I mean, I guess you could play those side-quests in any order you want... but does the order you play them in really matter in the end? Would there be any consequence to what kind of side-quest you complete at all? I doubt it. Which is why I don't like open-world games, because they feel like you're a tourist on a bus tour going down a list of locations you want to visit set for you by the tour guide, rather than picking the kind of experience you want to have... if that makes sense.

Anyway, that's why I don't like linear games, because they lack that sense of personality. Every person playing the same game would have the same kind of experience because they would essentially be taking the same path you're taking. It's boring that way. Even open-world games have this problem. You're still visiting the same location every completionist out there who visit every location would be visiting. There's no difference if you simply visit every location too like a completionist.

But anyway, I uninstalled Yakuza 0 just after a few hours. Waste of money and waste of time. Steam's refund policy triumphs again.

#1151 ReymousFumes, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
  12. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher Newbie

Magic: the Gathering Arena. Mtg jargon incoming. I went 7-0 in my first darft, but I haven't repeated that performance. Although I haven't drafted Selesnya again. The common green and white 2 drops go far too late for how good they are, and those 2 drops out class all other colours'. White/green has great reach. If you have going aggro Selesnya you should avoid all the lifegain stuff: that's for when you don't get your critical mass of 2 drops. For removal you should be looking for efficiency and cheapness over anything. You should also pack a few combat tricks so you can always turn your board sideways for when you are lucky enough to draw them. The goal of the deck is to cut land and dead draws, and to always have the best on curve creatures, starting from 2, while being able to back you treats with cheap tricks and removal.

13. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Needed an 'angry' game to vent out my frustration, and I remembered this edgy title called "Hatred". The title explains itself. It's pretty much a game designed for angry 12 year olds living in their momma's basement trolling the Internet.

And here I am. Playing it.

Still, were it not for its ridiculous self-aware dark humor amping up how violent the protagonist is trying to be, this game definitely wouldn't have seen the light of day, I think, especially with shootings being as rampant as they are in America. And it's not something like "Manhunt" or "Hitman" either, where the people you kill are pretty much scumbags who deserve it. Instead, you're shooting innocent bystanders here as part of some "cleansing", mixed in with the occasional cops you have to survive against.

There are side-quests at times that give the game some variety, like burning down stores or blowing up gas stations. The game also has a top-down view, so the combat can be a bit awkward. I really loathe these kinds of games where it's more convenient with a controller. Thankfully, "sprint" and "crouch" can be toggled, so you can leave them on if you want. However, sprint can only be toggled for a few seconds before the main character runs normally again. The awkward combat mechanic is made more difficult when the only healing available is by performing "executions" on victims that are nearly dead, but not completely dead. Yeah.

Anyway, it's amusing for what it is, and it does serve the purpose of numbing my brain and killing my boredom. But when it comes down to it, it's pretty formulaic, just running around shooting people. The execution cinematic is amusing enough, since there are various violent and brutal ways the killer pull them off, but there's not enough variety to keep me entertained for long. God, who knew playing a psychopath can be so... boring?

14. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Spent the entire night 'till morning playing "Sleeping Dogs: Definitive Edition" after I bought it for four bucks, though that doesn't necessarily indicate that I'm obsessed with it. Since it's an open-world game, that means once I've explored all the locations and side quests, I'd be pretty bored with it. Actually, I'm starting to get bored of the routine of the game already, going around completing missions for both the cops and the triads. It's pretty much GTA IV/Yakuza 0 but with Chinese triads. You can pretty much just interchange these labels between the three games and it would generally feel like the same gameplay.

Well, except you actually get more choices in how you want to complete certain important story missions in GTA IV.

I'd probably be bored of this game in a few days, much faster than Two Point Hospital. At least it's cheap.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I only stopped playing because the game crashed. Just like GTA V. Again, at least it's cheap.

#1154 ReymousFumes, Dec 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  15. CataraxCorey

CataraxCorey Mediocre Pokemon trainer

Currently switching between Red Dead Redemption 2 and Monster Hunter World

16. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

When you dab on the server admin:
    [​IMG]

Shannon Apple and Dunn x Dolo like this.
  17. Neji195

Neji195 Not your average "Newbie"

I'm currently playing Destiny 2 and Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2.

I have a PS4, my gamer tag is: TheGreatOne195.. add me!

18. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Ugh, man, got trapped by another addictive video game over the past week. Thank god that I'm pretty much done with it by now, having spent a total of 56 cumulative hours on it. The game itself is... Game Dev Tycoon. This game is especially addictive if you're a gamer with rich knowledge of game development throughout history, from the times of Atari's Pong to Nintendo's first release of Game Boy to Nintendo's betrayal of Sony over their Playstation console. There are a lot of Easter Eggs and references here for veteran gamers out there who know their s***.

Ultimately, I think you'll come to appreciate just how hard it is to develop a good game, and why game companies continue to release mediocre and s*** games sometimes in between their AAA-titles. Release a AAA-title every two years or so is already exhausting, let alone doing it every year. Sometimes, you need a s*** game to keep the company afloat.

Oh yeah, don't bother with MMO. That s*** is expensive as hell with its maintenance fee. MMOs suck, for both developers and gamers. Just stick with the mainstream Action RPG every year and you'll be selling like hot cakes.

19. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Played some more Game Dev Tycoon after I tried to lie to myself that I was sick of it. lol But man, it just kept sucking me back in again and again. It became particularly addictive after I used the cheat mod to allow me to make whatever kinds of games I want without consequences, essentially turning the game from a management sim to a sandbox sim. I then proceeded to recreate real life video games throughout history like Pokemon and Mario. So yeah, there's like a whole more content thanks to mods.

But I think I'm finally done. For real this time. Going to search for another game development sim or a similar sim. Tried my hands on Mad Games Tycoon, but that one felt way too businessy, not to mention lacking in references and Easter Eggs to real life game development, so didn't feel as interesting. It definitely has more content and depth though, so if you're interested in business management games, you should give it a try.

Anyway, wrote a review for Game Dev Tycoon, should any of you be interested (please drop a thumbs up if you find it helpful, thanks):
    https://steamcommunity.com/id/RhediusVague/recommended/239820

Found another tycoon game, but this time, it's for TV production. Empire TV Tycoon. Should prove interesting. Might try it out.

20. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Anyone actually thinking of getting Yakuza 0, it's one of the early unlocks for this month's Humble Bundle. I advise getting it there instead since you're paying only $12 for it and possibly 8 other games. I'm a Humble subscriber, but I only pay for the months that I want. Thinking of passing on this one since none of the early unlocks appeal to me.

I've been playing Torchlight this week. I've owned it for a long time, but never bothered playing it til now. It's alright, a little repetitive, but then again, a lot of RPGs are like that.

Played the first two games in the Enigmatis trilogy. They are HOG games by Artifex Mundi. Actually the first game was exceptionally good for this kind of game, the hardest one I've ever played in fact with an interesting story. Usually they are too easy and extremely cheesy. lol.