What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Yakuza 0 is actually pretty rad my guy, it's defo one of my faves. I can see why you would be disappointed though if you expected it to be Grand Theft Nippon, because it really is nothing like GTA. Yakuza is as much about all the side stories and minigames as it is about it's plot. Busting up panty selling rings, getting beatup by a grandma, playing space harrier to interact with the QT arcade attendant, teaching some straight-edge kids how to be 80s-punkers, managing realestate and running a hostess club are all part of the experience.

As to linearity, yeah lots of games are linear but that doesn't mean they aren't fun. I mean Mario is about as linear as you can get and lots of us had hours of fun. If it doesn't appeal to you then that's fine, everyone has their own likes. Personally I bought RDR2 and I totally regret it. I've had more fun playing Y0, Sonic Mania, or EDF5 than I could ever have with RDR2.

Sleeping dogs is definitely more like GTA.

@Shannon Apple
    I'm not sure how the PC port came out but at $12 that's a steal.

2. Enies

Enies Famous Member

ah i was gonna ask how yakuza 0 compares to sleeping dog. I think i lost interest in GTA when the fourth came out set in NY. I thought it was boring as all heck and whatever excitement i had about the game was mostly gone when i was a kid.

3. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

Just got the insanity and platinum trophies for mass effect 2. On to 3!

4. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Why do people like to quote others and tell it to their face that "if you don't like it, that's fine, but everyone else except you like it" like it's something proud of to boast about? Okay? Others like it, cool. Other people are not me. Why bother me about it if you think that linear games don't appeal to me? What am I supposed to do with your opinion that others people like what I dislike?

Just saying. It seems like a nonsensical thing to do. I don't mind you discussing about the pros and cons of linear games, but quoting me just so you could tell me the obvious fact that "other people happen to like things you don't" is so annoying, as if you're replying to me with the intention to bug me about such a trivial revelation I already knew. So what's the point of replying to ME instead of just making your own standalone post? Just so you get the chance to say I'm an outsider? I don't get the direction or intention of your post.

Anyway, back on topic, regarding the aforementioned pros and cons of linear games. I guess I wouldn't mind if it's a visual novel. Visual novels are easy to access the side stories you mentioned. I don't have to work for it like some chore. In Yakuza 0, I was punished for using a KBM to sing a stupid karaoke mini game. I f-ing hate rhythm games, and even more so on KBM. If this is a visual novel, I wouldn't need to bother with all those frustrating and nonsensical stuff and just get to the plot easily.

And before you say that I could just ignore those mini games - I PAID FOR THAT GAME. Why should I need to feel an obligation to ignore something I paid with my hard-earned money? That doesn't make any sense! I should be able to enjoy EVERYTHING that I've paid for!

#1164 ReymousFumes, Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
  5. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

It's like you never read my post, because none of that is what I said. The "nonsensical thing to do" is sperg out at me while I was being friendly and mildly supportive.

I'm not sure what is going on in your life, but I hope you'll chillout my dude.

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

It's only 13 dollars on cdkeys don't know anything about thr franchise before and never played it but im kind of intrigued now. Thoght idk if I need a controller for the pc or if the pc version is fine steam reviews are good.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

@ThisGuy: Indeed, and it's not for Yakuza 0 alone. It includes several other games, so probably getting it for less than $3 on average.

@Enies As I mentioned above it's way cheaper on Humble Bundle. Just get the one month subscription, and you can cancel subscription right after. Comes with Rapture Rejects and Tom Clancy's: The Division... as well as some other games that will be revealed the first Friday in Feb. Don't go buying the game seperately for $13 when you can get 8-9 games for $12 dollars total. Can always give the ones you don't want to friends. That's what I do. ;)

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I went through more of red dead 2 and shadow of the tomb raider during my Christmas break. Great great games :) I also bought the strategy guide for assassins creed oddyssey which i need to get back into. I picked up a few more jrpgs yesterday used for the ps4. Can't remember the names though :D

I've also been doing lots of roms :) I also just got the nvidia shield tv and a raspberry pi 3 gameboy model to play on the go. I'm also getting a hdmi cable for the snes.

9. Enies

Enies Famous Member

ive never used it before so yeah i didnt want to subscribe for 12 dollars a month. but if i can cancel it i might just get that.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  10. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Wow. This escalated quickly. o_o

Anyways, I wasn't sure what my first "PS4 game bought by myself," was going to be so It was a toss up between Bloodborne, Yakuza, and the Fist of the North Star Lost Paradise game. FotNS is stil expensive as shit so I ended up getting Yakuza 0 as I wanted to play the prequel before getting Kiwami.

Was worried at first that it was going to be another GTA clone but I can honestly say its way more fun and different from GTA. Story is great, and I love how it can throw comical sub-stories on that somehow fit in perfectly. I literally went from getting my ass kicked by Mr. Shakedown to teaching a chick how to be a proper Dominatrix yet nothing felt out of place like it didn't belong. Just got to Majima's story so I aint that far in but really loving the game so far. Cant wait to beat this and work my way through the rest of the series.

ThisGuy and Interest1ng like this.
  11. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

@Dunn x Dolo
    If you just got to Majima you are just getting in to the good parts my dude. You better be running the top hostess club by the end of the week otherwise I expect a pinky on my desk. Also make sure you go to the softcore video place for the "Mr. Libido" sidestory. I don't remember if it triggers right away or if you have to visit a few times, his dialogue is great.

AceCombat7 comes out on Friday so I am playing EDF5 until then.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  12. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

AceCombat 7 came out today! Just started mission 4. Shit got real when Arsenal Bird drops in the middle of a dogfight and launches like 50 UAVs.

[50 radar boxes show up on the hud]
    <<MISSILE ALERT MISSILE ALERT MISSILE ALERT>>
    <<BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP>>
    [Guitar kicks in]

Having fun so far, been using the F16, just unlocked the F14. Supposed to get some snow tomorrow so I'm planning on staying home and playing AC7.

Also I preordered RE2, even though it comes out on Tuesday I don't think I'am going to get a chance to play it this month :cry:

#1172 ThisGuy, Jan 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  13. Enies

Enies Famous Member

i think i'd prefer a ww2 style of that game with ww2 warplanes :D

I just got the humble bundle deal that shannon mentioned and started playing yakuza 0. Its definitely a unique game i only just started i will play more over the weekend.

for me personally i definitely think its good that its not like GTA i was considering getting sleeping dogs but not a fan of GTA style.

hopefully yakuza 0 gets better im at the part where the old white guy has me beat this guy up.

ThisGuy and Dunn x Dolo like this.
  14. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

Yeah I can see that. I'm getting a little tired of going into missions where the ground is full of SAMs and the sky is full of UAVs so all I can hear is the master computer screaming <<MISSILE ALERT>> in between AWACS verbally bullying me over the radio. Seriously every mission briefing and probably ever other radio line is something about how we're expendable or how we might as well nose down into the ground.

It feels like the only times I'm not getting bullied is during the cutscenes.

It's fun though.

15. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Finally beat Nuclear Throne. So that can fuckoff my hard drive forever. Was thinking of picking up Undertale again but will prolly start Eartbound on the snes classic.

Also this.....

https://store.steampowered.com/app/369070/Slain_Back_from_Hell/

Looks like a proper game.

Was gonna get this but it just looks like its gonna make me smash up stuff that belongs to me.

ThisGuy likes this.
  16. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

Patrician taste in vidya my dude.

Enies likes this.
  17. Enies

Enies Famous Member

The fuck can you play games remotely in the nearest century

18. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

All of the missions after Stonehenge shoots down the first Arsenal Bird are pretty dope so far in AC7. Also the penal unit being absorbed into the main airforce is great because I don't have to listen to Bandog bully me over radio comms anymore.

I've failed some of the score based missions a few times because I thought you need to bring something like an A10 to attack the ground forces. Turns out ground targets aren't really worth anything, it's better to be high in the sky out of SAM/AAA range and engage aircraft worth wayyyyy more points.

Fighting thrust-vectoring aircraft in conventional aircraft is brutal.
    <<OVER-G OVER-G STALL STALL OVER-G>>
    Meanwhile they have missile lock while flying in front of you because "lawl mathematics my guy!"

19. mr.Gloomy

mr.Gloomy Newbie

I've just had nostalgy with Half-Life and taking a pause now. Wanna play KH3 after I'll have enough money to buy it.

20. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

Just finished playing two games made by the same man.

Potato Thriller
    The basic plot of this game is you play as a detective hunting down a notorious serial killer named The Potato Man, called that because he deep fries his victims to death. You get a tip as to the whereabouts of the Potato Man. What follows is nearly incomprehensible and insane. But the odd thing is the creator does a good job of bringing everything together, even if it made no sense when it first was revealed. He makes sense of the chaos, so to say. I would recommend people try it because you would never truly believe half of the things that happen in this game, even if I told you.

Giraffe Town
    This game follows a giraffe named Giraffe as he searches for Love, specifically a female giraffe pop singer named Love after finding out she will be in his town for one night only to meet and greet with her fans. As with Potato Thriller, what follows next is absolutely baffling. Just with that plot alone, the creator manages to fit time travel, the fate of a dying world, and demonic worship all into this game. As such, things that make no damn sense at first are all brought together in the end to a somewhat coherent plot. My issue with this game is that the cut scenes are absurd in how long they take. A cut scene that would normally take about a minute or two in any other game takes five to seven minutes in this due to dramatic pauses and multiple camera angles. But I will say this, this man's games are unlike any others I have ever played. That alone makes it worth trying.