What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Been playing Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. It's pretty fun, but the art is inconsistent. Some places are amazing looking while others are just god awful. After playing pretty much every CastleVania title I feel like I have seen all of the enemies and bosses before. It feels like after Iga made Aria of Sorrow he just got stuck making more of the same: Anime style, SotN exploration, soul system and all. It's definitely a fun game, I highly recommend it so far.

Other than that I play "Squad" on PC for a few hours on weekends. It hits that team-based shooter itch for me. It's somewhat realistic without being autistic, it's class based, the playerbase keeps growing, each update brings for mechanics and fun things, and the community is mostly made up for pretty chill people who don't take it the game super seriously.

Some of my Russian friends kept pushing me to play Witcher 3 for the last 2 years, so I finally started that, but to be honest openworld games are a slog for me. They're so confident I will love it, and I am really trying my best to enjoy it, but it really hasn't hooked me in the slightest :(

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I bought bloodstained the other day too. Haven't played it yet.

I upgraded my pc and got the oculus rift s. Love it! It actually runs on a i5 2400 but i have 16gb ram (ddr3) and a 6gb nvidia geforce 1660. I got STARWARS VADER IMMORTAL. LOVE IT!!!!

you can actually finally do a full 1:1 lightsaber battle!!! I do have the standalone jedi battles ar headset but it pales in comparison to the rift game.

Itscool that the rift s has the cameras that show you the room when you step out if the "guardian" zone.

I enjoy it :)

3. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

I'll just leave this here:

2spooky4me

#1223 ThisGuy, Jul 5, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2019
  4. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

Dark Souls 3, L.A. Noire.

5. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I am currently doing a little borderlands 2 and Doom, and I just bought a game called Break the Game. Haven't played it yet.

6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Been playing Deponia. It's a point and click puzzle game. They gave it away for free some time ago, but I already owned it. So, I have an extra Steam key for the original trilogy, if anyone would like to play it. It's surprisingly fun for a point and click adventure.

I put Hollow Knight on hold for a bit. It's one of those games that gets frustrating in parts. I wasn't using a guide, but may have to look up how to beat the next boss. I never use walkthroughs of any kind unless I find myself stuck. Heheh!

Just won The Wolf Among Us from a giveaway, so have to give that one a try.

7. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I sat down yesterday and played the entirety of Gris. A very beautiful game. Every screen of it is absolutely stunning. I know some people wanted deeper platforming mechanics out of it but I felt that it did its job well.

8. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I've been playing Bloodborne for the last 3 weeks, and I'm already at the final boss. There are a couple of optional bosses I have left but I'm debating right now if I should handle them and then fight the final boss, or if I should just end the game. When you beat the final boss, the game forces you into New Game Plus and you can't go back.

I bought the limited edition Xbox One X Gears 5 console and I'll be getting that on Friday, and I hate going to other games when a new game comes out. I'll try to use my time appropriately here.

9. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I have been playing WORK.... It has to be a VR game that I can't escape cause I wake up just about every day and do it.

10. ThisGuy

Platinum Founder

Code Vein demo on PS4. Made a big tiddy goth girl, with blonde hair because fuck elvira and all the other goth memesters. It's p fun, the story is pretty wtf though.

11. G_Munny07

G_Munny07 is a savage

I am currently playing a lot of splatoon 2, fortnite, and super smash bros.

12. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Currently playing Borderlands 3 when I've got the time, and occasionally playing some Blasphemous when I'm in the mood to piss myself off.

I'd like to pick up The Surge 2 asap, too, as the first was so good, but we'll see how affordable it'll be to fit in hopefully sometime this week.

Don't want to get too bogged down in games, though, as anything I'm not done with by November will just be set aside for who knows how long, for the release of Death Stranding, for which I'm frothing at the mouth.

13. Sakura33

Sakura33 Shooter

Cat ninja pro is my latest addiction. I love it in some ways.

14. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

I bought Jak 2 and 3, RDR 2 and Persona 5 on Black Friday. Mostly playing RDR 2, and some Persona 5.

15. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

I have just been grinding out in Paladins. Since the game is free, I decided to give it a shot. That was weeks ago. Not a day has passed where I haven't played a few matches. Because you get rewards for everyday that you play, I have been racking up gold and crystals. And I was able to get enough to purchase Pepper, a highly sought after character. And I do fairly well with her, although I am branching out to try other characters.
    The best match I ever had was last night and it solidified why I love this game. Still hoping to get a chance to get the Maeve Raeve outfit as that thing is so amazing.

16. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Been playing damn near exclusively Marvel's Spider-Man for the past few days.

I finished the game back when it came out and stopped on the trophy hunt early so I could get my money back out of it with the intention that I'd swing back around once the Game of the Year edition was well out to play the DLCs. Following up on that, I grabbed it during Black Friday for a cool twenty bucks and put it up for Christmas since I didn't have time or any real desire to get back to it at the time.

I started digging into the DLC and finished it in about two nights. The first pack was really fun, where the second felt like a bit of a chore, and the third wrapped up the new story nicely, though honestly, in spite of the fact that they featured the same cast of character, the connection between the three felt a little bit tenuous. They felt like an appropriate set of missions for the game, but they necessarily add much to the overall experience.

The harder part was doing the Screwball challenge trophies in the DLCs. They aren't particularly hard, but she is... incomprehensibly aggravating - a live-streamer type
    literally yelling about view counts, subscriptions and the like. There are like 15 of these across the three DLCs, all with her incessant yapping - she may be, bar-none, the most annoying fictional character of all time.

Fortunately, my achievement hunt also included a New Game Plus section with a few extras, including another full playthrough and beating the game on the highest difficulty, which it turns out is actually pretty easy in the New Game Plus scenario. Still one the better releases on the PS4, still worth picking up.

17. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher sinew and steel

Been playing Magic Arena. I managed to make it to Diamond 1 in constructed with mono blue. Casting Anticipate feels good when your opponent has been holding mana open for a Quench. Vantress Gargoyle is great for shoring up the early aggro, although is kind of a do-nothing against some of the stronger midrange decks. In which case the strategy switches to being counter all their ramp and big plays, then place your Sinister Sabotages back on top until you Gargoyle or Cutthroats can push for damage. Mu Yanling is good fun against Fires and anything else which doesn't provide much early pressure. You can hold your Opts in games when mana efficiency is less important and you aren't quite sure of the kind of card your digging for. Midnight Clock allows you to get Ugin and Mesmerizing Benthid a turn early as well as provide a literal clock and mana sink to win games that stall out (which tends to happen with a deck full of counterspells). The mono coloured lands are good right now, with Mystic Sanctuary artificially inflating the number of counterspells you are running without actually needing to run that many counterspells. Running multiple Blast Zones while being able to cast every spell is probably the strongest thing you can do with lands in standard right now, maybe except run Blue / Green flash wolf. Gadwick is good and allows you to beat Rotting Regisaur and Brazen Borrower is very solid, although the lack of a good blocker can be critical when versing beatdown. There are lots of variations of this deck possible, with not many obvious builds available which makes this deck very difficult to construct. Your aggro plan is significantly weaker than other decks so you need to be packing lots of ways to be dealing with that. Midrange, especially green is difficult unless you are on the play, so that is priority number two keep in mind building. Your not the only deck that runs counterspells on ladder, so people tend to have ways of dealing with those, although in mono-blue you can definitely play a numbers game and overwhelm your opponent by countering a sheer number of your opponents relevant plays while having a cheap threat on the table. If you build right you should have a positive win rate against R, R/B, Fires, W/x. And hopefully those decks are prevalent because they prey on G and G/U wolf. The adventure decks are a bit of a coin toss. If they get down an early clover or Innkeeper it's bad news because you can't counter those copied triggers. However Blast Zone is really good at dealing with one drops and your deck stomps them without their engine. With sideboards (I'm still in the process of figuring out these) You insta-lose against Shifting Ceratops, which is bad news against anything with green. Cerulean Drake makes red decks want to cry. Mystic Dispute adds another layer of counterspells for the blue mirror (if you can find any blue players who aren't running red or green). I haven't figured out the correct amount of Vantress Gargoyle support, it's somewhere between none and too much. I'm still figuring out how much chaffy 1-drops I should be playing or if I want to support the beatdown plan and add 2-drops, or if I want more midgame? Or do I put another Ugin in? Is two Midnight Clocks the right number? Do I cut an Island for another spell to gain the virtual card advantage or do I add another Island to enable more mana efficient plays. And do I really want to run Castle Vantress, when it itself is not an island which will delay my Mystic Sanctuaries for the turn four spell recycle? Also I need to trawl through all of blues janky cards to find something situational which will allow me to deal with a bad match up if I can find a free slot in my 60 line up. Or do I need more card draw? Overall, I'm glad with how my foray into mono-blue has gone, but it can be difficult forging ahead into territory unknown when there are no current guides nor even decklists to look at for an archetype that doesn't properly exist yet (at least in it's current form). It also helped me redeem my poor crafting decisions way back when I first started playing arena (so many wasted wildcards). I wanted to grind to mythic, but I realised that if I kept playing my play would get worse (because tired), and not just that, I had been seeing the same opponents over and over again, and I think they were becoming savvy to my tricks.

18. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

While I haven't had a whole lot of time to play games the past month or so, my most recent addiction has been Slay the Spire. It's single-player card game with RPG and rogue-like elements. I like it better than Hearthstone for the fact that you don't have to buy any DLCs or card sets. You build your deck and add new findable items as you raise your XP. While I've played a number of card games in my time, this one has pretty unique gameplay and is a lot of fun, and difficult enough that you'll have to build up strategies in order to beat the game with each character, since it's a bit different every time you play (rogue-like). I switched to the beta and have been playing with the 4th character that is near completion. Each character has different decks and abilities, but you can find items that allow you to find cards from any deck at the end of each floor.

19. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Bought X-Men: Destiny on the Xbox 360 yesterday morning and I just wrapped up the story mode.

Boy, Silicon Knights sure shit the bed on this one. Honestly... everything is bad. Graphically it just looks bad, being outshined dramatically by even Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, which released two years earlier. The style they went with isn't much better. Gotta note that the combat is as generic as was physically possible, but it isn't even smooth enough to be enjoyable, with lots of long animations for things as simple as blocking, mixed with the occasional frame drop. The in-game menus are sluggish, the checkpoints are badly placed and to top that off you can't skip cutscenes. Hell, even the subtitles are jacked up - sometimes they don't make sense, and it's clear they were not re-written for all three characters so most of the time they don't even remotely match up.

The story is as barebones as physically possible, with an incredibly boring antagonist and a go-nowhere story. Your choice of character doesn't affect any gameplay elements, the gimmick of choosing between the X-Men or Brotherhood doesn't really do anything, and you end up fighting alongside both groups all the time anyway. You unlock multiple costumes, which would be cool if they weren't exclusively palette swaps based on the characters in the game, and, maybe it was just on Aimi, but damn near all of them looked pretty bad. On that note, the three protagonists are pretty weak looking too - I chose Aimi because she looked like a character, where the other two just looked like Cole from Infamous.

The voice cast is working with some really clunky dialogue, and some of them are just not working out. Yuri Lowenthal, Phil LaMarr and Steve Blum are pulling double duty on main characters, and it's very noticeable. I'd be very surprised to learn that more than 20 people worked on it in total - and, honestly, I could say the same for the actual game as well. This game came out it 2011 and it'd feel right at home on the PlayStation 2 in every possible sense.

20. Crimson

Crimson New Member

I found Heavenly Sword for PS3 used at GameStop for 5, and man, what a great find. I love third person action, and while the controls were a little too 'early PS2' for my liking, it was understandable, given it was a launch title for the 3.

It turned me on immediately to find more of Ninja Theory's games, and I quickly bought Enslaved: Journey to the West thereafter (already impressed by it, with more accurate third person open world controls) and their insanely ambitious Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for PS4, that I can't wait to delve into.

But in the meantime, I popped in my two favorite open world games: Saint's Row 3 and 4 for PS3. So fun. I could play them all day, and I think I prefer 4 to 3. 2 is good too.

#1240 Crimson, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020