What are you currently playing?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Scruffie, May 23, 2016.

1. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Ooh, I have a copy of Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice for Steam. I usually give away Humble keys that I don't want from the monthly, but I kept the key because it looks interesting. Have to wait until I have a computer capable of running it though. So you'll get to it long before I do. XD

Book of Demons is the one I plan to play soon. ^^

Been playing small puzzle games recently. Sometimes it's nice to kick back and play something simpler. ^^

2. Crimson

Crimson New Member

I unfortunately don't play on PC anymore. Too many PC issues have led to paranoia regarding gaming on them. Also, I don't like what Steam has turned PC gaming into. I like physical copies and consoles allow me to continue doing that.

3. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Heh, to be honest, up until a few years ago, I played games only on console. I sold my consoles to help buy a new mac since I needed one going into a new job. Plan was to get a new console once I made some money at my job lol. But then, my job meant no time for gaming anyway, so never bothered. Then I got sick and couldn't work for quite a while... so just got a Humble sub and play Steam games on said mac. XD. I don't mind it too much.

I don't like the DRM thing myself. GOG is a better option for PC gaming since it's DRM-free, but then... Steam has the bigger library of mac compatible games. =)

4. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher sinew and steel

A friend convinced me to get Slay the Spire. I enjoyed how you don't have to sink many hours in order to get a satisfying experience. I found the the first few runs enjoyable picking up any old combination of cards and items. Although I found the game subtly encourages fast pasted gameplay and then subtly mocks you for choosing risk over reward. That was alright for the few play throughs, but now I am going to attempt to rely less on RNG (whoops, you accidentally got a broken combination of items and cards...) to actually relying on strategy to win encounters. Currently playing the Silent, and I will refuse to look up any gameplay guides. Gonna figure this out. Right now I'm stacking discard and energy matters effects.

Still playing MTG Arena. I didn't have to make many changes to my Mono-Blue deck. Mostly I just included a couple of Ashiok's Erasures to complement my countermagic selection and cut a couple of Vantress Gargoyles because there are slightly too many decks running escape cards right now. People haven't figured out how strong Soul-Guide Lantern is yet. I'm running a one of Thassa; I have very few difficulties getting my devotion to 5, however very few of my creatures synergise with being flickered at end of turn. I finally stockpiled enough Wildcards to get a couple of Cavalier of the Gales, and yeah it feels pretty good playing midrange creatures on curve rather that relying on your opponent's miss-plays while you tick-tok your Midnight Clock or Mu Yanling up. I'm going to leave the clocks out until I have a more solid grasp on what my key match-ups are. I may try running 3 copies Yanlings since I have been getting quite a few wins off an uncontested turn 3 Mu.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  5. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice Senior Member

I've been playing Luigi's Mansion 3 on my Nintendo Switch ever since I got that game for Christmas. I liked the first 2 games when they came out and I had hoped that I'd get this game for Christmas (and I did).

6. Leaf

Leaf Newbie

I'm going replay Lost Ember again.

7. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

I've got two current gaming addictions at this moment.

Paladins- Still going at it with this game. As a hero shooter, this game is incredibly addicting as each character is widely different and can be used in differing ways depending on which loadouts you use, which you can completely customize. My current beloved character is Io, the Goddess of the Moon. A healer, she can absolutely devastate the battlefield if you use her correctly and people rarely expect a healer to deal massive amounts of damage. I typically get commendations from my team when I play as her. But I have also found a love for Raum, the Rage of the Abyss. A tank character who, with the loadout I crafted, is damn near indestructible. I've gone against enemy teams completely alone and held my own while beating them into submission. The amount of damage he can take while still standing is insane. A few matches every day does me good.

Animal Crossing: New Horizons- My first Animal Crossing game ever. I have been enjoying myself immensely. I have been taking it slow, compared to others who got the game around the time I did. But I like taking it slowly, enjoying everything and learning what I can. I enjoy the exploration and character interactions. The little quips and jokes are very nicely done. Like when you fish and catch a loach, the game says, "You caught a loach! It's looking at you with reproach." It's little things like that I just adore when I play games. I wish I had gotten into Animal Crossing before, but I am certainly glad I'm in it now.

8. Ley

Ley Visitor

Valorant and AC New Horizons. Great games!

9. Captain Picard

Captain Picard Non mihi, non tibi, sed nobis.
    Platinum Founder

Been playing Rome 2 Total War (with the Divide Et Impera overhaul and a few submods)... playing as Rome and bringing glorious civilization to the barbarian heathens.

Also been playing Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil: Resistance. It's been great fun being the Mastermind in the multiplayer.

I've revisited FF14 ARR, and enjoying being a lancer / dragoon.

Oh, and Eve Online has called me back on occasion. I'm glad I broke that second job a year ago. Eve Online becomes one helluva time sink... but there isn't another MMO right now that can give you the same experience.

10. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

I've finished Battle Chasers: Nightwar this week. I might be tempted to start an NG+ game. It's a turn-based JRPG-style x dungeon crawler based on a comic series. The art-styles used in this game are pretty nice. The gameplay itself reminds me of a cross between something like FFX and Torchlight. It's a teeny bit grindy like most JRPGs, BUT I like the fact that you can see which enemies are waiting for you on the map. If they are below your level, you can choose not to fight them, so unlike some games, you can totally skip getting into fights that give very little rewards. I really enjoyed it. =)

11. Velleri

Velleri Lady Vee

Currently playing through Divinity Original Sins 2 with a friend. Also, I'm taking a break from WoW in the meantime and am leveling a character in FFXIV. I'm mainly a Archer/Bard, but also dabbling in Lancer/Dragoon and possibly Arcanist in the future.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I finally set out to finish a few more games last fall. I finally finished red dead redemption 2 last fall. I started and finished halo 5 early this year. Next was doom 2016. I'm not quite done with it but pushed pretty far.

I did finish assassins creed syndicate which I was thrilled to do. I had gotten two sequences in when it first came out but got stuck and shelved it. Then I plowed through last month. I'm picking up assassins creed origins again after having gotten to level 12 or so before stopping when it came out. I'm looking to get into assassins creed odyssey once i finish origins. (I had started odyssey as well)

#1252 yoda313, May 4, 2020
    Last edited: May 4, 2020
  13. Osiris

Osiris New Member

Having finally done with Hitman 2, I thought I would be done with video games for a while, but I'm starting to have the itch again to play something interactive. So I spent quite a few hours looking back to Fallout 4, a game which I have the most infuriating love-hate relationship for. In the midst of reinstalling the game, I uninstalled it again after remembering the countless hours I spent modding the thing, only to have mod-conflict ruin the experience for me. In a way, I felt more like a mechanic at best and a maintenance worker working with no pay at worst, as opposed to being a gamer having fun.

But then 15 minutes later, I'm trying to install the game again.

I don't know. There are quite a number of things I do like about RPGs like Fallout, such as the ability to be immersed in this rich world filled with characters you could interact with. The realistic-looking weapons that look badass as heck also helps, and now that I've gotten a gaming PC recently, I could finally run the game with all the texture and graphic overhaul mods that would have ate up my iMac's poor excuse of a RAM.

But on the other hand... I just really didn't like what they did with Fallout 4, particularly its karma system. I enjoyed the freedom to not only play a morally ambiguous character, but also to have the world reflect my morally ambiguous choices in return (as opposed to me imagining that the NPCs are disturbed by my murderous rampage). Also, the dialogue is just so bland compared to previous games, and the whole story of finding the main character's son is not only boring, it forces the player to play along with this predetermined plot line instead of playing whatever story he had in mind, like a good role-playing game. I don't care about finding Shaun or Charlie or whatever the heck that kid's name is; I wanna explore vaults and kill some ghouls and shoot some miniguns off Deathclaws, maybe nuke a whole town of innocent people - you know, Fallout stuff with its once dark humor. It doesn't make sense anyway for the main character to be involved in all these side quests while having no urgency whatsoever in finding his son.

But the truly frustrating thing is the mods. Yes, you can play without mods, technically, but vanilla Fallout 4 is just so... vanilla. Tasteless and bland. Fallout 4 is kinda a boring game without the mods, at least to me, especially when I've played it over a dozen times already (albeit never reaching its ending). And I do remember all those good times I had with the mods, like the one time I had a Gundam mod, and all the Power Armors were turned into awesome-looking mobile suits with overpowered weapons. Man, that was fun. There was even a Cyberpunk 2099 mod back then, about a year or two ago, where you could have those cool neon jackets from the game. That's the beauty of modding a game, having such possibilities available to you in the palm of your hand. It's like a giant toybox. The flipside, however, is that if you get even a single mod order wrong and cause some kind of conflict between your 145 mods, it's a pain to find out which mod is the one that caused that conflict in the first place. A lot of cool mods are unfortunately incompatible with one another.

Sigh. But I really don't want to go on another tirade again about this game (in spite of the fact that I kinda just did). I don't know. I'll just reinstall it for now and tinker with a few essential mods first, then quit once I get bored.

When are they gonna release Fallout 5 anyway? I doubt it would get any better, with the direction Bethesda is taking, but I'd take my chances.

Edit:
    Just ignore the entirety of what I've just written. Saw a better RPG that caught my attention, albeit not a AAA game, "Disco Elysium". There's gotta be a dozen other better RPGs like this out there that aren't Fallout.

#1253 Osiris, Jun 1, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I finally popped in halo master chief collection again. Did maybe a couple hours of multiplayer. Just free for all slayer. That was the first multiplayer I've done in years. I'm mostly into story based action adventure games. But it was fun to blast some random internet people for awhile :) funny I had finished halo 5 over the winter after barely starting it when it came out but didn't do any multiplayer. This was worth it :)

I did finish assassins creed syndicate earlier this year. I also plunged back into assassins creed origins and finally finished it to. Great games all around. Im firing up assassins creed odyssey after only playing a few hours when it was released. It's fun to see the differences of each version. I even went on a collection binge and got ac 3, rogue, and 4 black flag on disc to have the next gen collection (had finished them originally on ps3 though (All games in this post were xbox one but I have a ps4, switch and xbox one).

15. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple

Been reading really good things about Disco Elysium, so you should definitely go for it. (Since I have too many games currently, I'm holding off on buying any more games unless they come through my Humble sub lol). Sometimes, the indie games are way better than their AAA competitors in terms of story. Many of the big name titles are all eye candy and not much substance. =)

Osiris likes this.
  16. DcRising

DcRising New Member

Valorant - its scratching the multiplayer itch for me at the moment.
    Minecraft Dungeons - nothing special but a nice simple and relaxing experience.
    Xenoblade Chronicles DE - Just started it so not to much to say on it at the moment.

17. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

TLOU2

Game has been amazing thus far.

18. DcRising

DcRising New Member

Recently played through a metroidvania title called Timespinner. I beat the main ending but there is some side stuff to do. It was actually a pretty fun experience and I enjoyed the time I spent on it. Have slowly been working my way through Trails in the Sky the 3rd. Hopefully gonna finish that in the next couple weeks so I can try Persona 4 Golden on Steam which I already picked up.

19. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

Last of us 2

For a game that had so much negative opinion before it was even released, it was honestly amazing

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

What did you think of the story though? I haven't played either but I've kept up on the drama. From what I've seen on YouTube reviews the consensus seems to be great visuals and game play but questionable story choices.. sounds like mass effect all over again.

I bought chess ultra on xbox one back in December but only started it. I have no prior chess experience. I ended up shelving it pretty quickly. But I picked it up again recently. It turns out I didn't do the entire tutorial so I pushed through and things are starting to click. I still haven't beaten the computer yet but I have stalemated multiple times. I did FINALLY beat the computer 3 or 4 times after doing the rewind. That is satisfying:) I cant wait to beat it outright without rewinding.