What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Manga' started by Dunn x Dolo, May 25, 2016.

1. Sygryn

Sygryn Active Member

I'm currently reading a book about the 34th Sultan of the Ottoman Empire..

"From a palace to exile"

2. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Picked up AD Police 25:00. Although the AD Police OAV from the early '90s is loosely based on it, the original manga is quite different - the hardboiled horror is still there, but the stories are much more capricious, frequently veering between splashy gore and jokey humour. Bizarrely, there's even a gag chapter about Leon's visit to Osaka, drawn in an entirely different artstyle, that seems to be aping Lupin III.

It's unlikely to be a must have, but it's certainly an interesting curio for any fans of the Bubblegum Crisis franchise.

3. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

Im currently reading Gantz, its alot better than the anime which only got good later in season 2. Pacing problems are removed with the Manga so it actually makes it good.

4. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Decided to read Wombs, shit is gooood!

Im really enjoying all the world building and character and world development. Starting the 4th volume tonight.

5. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

I tried breaking my habit of not reading manga and began Katekyo Hitman Reborn (at least where it left off in the anime). It ended on such an awful cliffhanger. Unfortunately, haven't been able to keep it up. I just can't get into reading manga.

6. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

There are a lot of great stuff out there. You could check out Heads (click for info). Maybe it'll jump-start your interest in manga.

7. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

I just read the Kings game manga (the two that are translated atleast) because the anime got me curious if it was better. The anime really messes with stuff because they shoved the first and 4th manga stories into one thing, should of just done one at a time.

Either way the first manga wasn't anything special but the second one named Kings game Origin was actually really good, the writing, characters and everything were just much better. Sucks it will likely never get animated because of what they have done with the anime already.

Id recommend anyone into mystery horror manga to give it a read, its stand alone so just skip the first manga and read Origin first.

8. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Just started to read Harry Potter a couple weeks ago. On Chamber of Secrets.

9. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

My most recent purchases:
    [​IMG]

Matemar likes this.
  10. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

The wealth of testosteron fuelled gory violence coupled with highly stylised visuals and razor sharp dialogues on display in the currently airing anime Hakata Tonkotsu Ramens left me wanting more so I finally picked up Blade of the Immortal again. This series isn't for the faint of heart nor the historical purists (since it takes ratger large liberties with historical facts) but it's easily one of the most stylish and well written action manga money can buy paying tribute to both classic Samurai films such as those directed by Akira Kurosawa as well as more modern Yakuza flicks.

[​IMG]

11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So after going through all the remaining volumes of Blade of the Immortal I picked up (vols 8 - 10) I decided I really didn't have my fill of hyper violent maga yet and decided to pick up Gantz.

I started reading the manga many years ago and really wasn;t very fond of it. But I was a different person back then and didn't really have that much experience with manga and anime, not being able to accept the differences between Japanese and western media and how you have to interpret them differently from western media. Recently though I watched the anime adaptation of Inuyashiki - Last Hero by the same author and loved the shit out of it. So I figured it was time to give Gantz another shot.

Honestly...I actually rather like it

I can definitally see why it's such a polarising series and it certainly isn't perfect. The dialogues are often cringy, the characters are rather stereotypical and really don't get the time to develop into actually meaningful characters before they are unceremoniously offed and the plot as far as there is any is moving at a snail's pace.

But I do really like how the series constantly builds tension and then defies expectations by having a big moment occur either when you don't expect it or in a way you really didn't expect. I also feel the series provides meaningful and engaging commentary on the futility of nihilism and how in the end nobody truly buys into it as well as the nature of human society and the often self destructive ways people can act when put in a group vs the inherent yet often repressed well intentioned nature of most individuals

It's certainly nowhere near as refined in the way it explores these themes and they way it communiccates them to the reader as Inuyashiki was. But given that at its core Gantz really just is a splatter gore horror series with a sci fi bend I do really appreciate the more unique tone and atmosphere which often borders on the surreal as well as it's more philosophically compelling undertones

That being said I absolutely get why so many people hate this series with a passion. It's definitally not for everyone. However speaking for myself I'm thoroughly enjoying myself with it. I do have to question too what extend this very simple premise can continue to be engaging as I do know the series has a whopping 37 volumes but I guess I'll just have to see. Though not necesarilly right now because I only have upto volume 10 and since I'm already 2 volumes in I don't think these 10 volumes will last me very long. Still if I really do keep enjoying it I'm sure I'll pick up the other volumesat some point as well as I tend to do with long running series I really like. (because by god even if I'll have to keep collecting the series for the rest of my life I will read all of Berserk)

So in shortL: it's far from perfect but it's interesting and different and for now that's enough to keep me hooked.

[​IMG]

#71 Kerberos, Jan 29, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2018
    Enies likes this.
  12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Not manga but personally I think LNs also count for this forum:
    [​IMG]

Been meaning to pick these up for a good long time. The anime was honestly one of the best fantasy anime ever but it also ended on the worst cliffhanger ever. And since it absolutely tanked in Japan the chances of a season 2 are zilch. So major thanks to Yen Press for licensing this amazing series.

Of course the LNs aren't done by a long stretch either. But at least with those there is still a chance of an actual freaking conclussion.
    And I most definitally plan on reading all of it and porbably enjoy the ever loving hell out of it.

13. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Hmmm, maybe I should check this out.

14. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I highly recommend it. It's a fantasy adventure in the traditional mold (no "transported to another world" bullshit) that actively subverts the usual fantasy tropes but doesn't do it in a "in your face" kind of way. Instead fusing it's subversive themes into the narrative itself. And while it certainly does go to some very dark places as it goes on it never forgets to also just be a really fun fantasy adventure. I once attempted to make a top list of best fantasy anime and while that article eventually did not come to pass I did compile the list and this series made it into the top ten. And that's just the anime which only told a tiny fraction of the full story.

15. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Ah, I actually already watched the anime. I just never really had the knowledge about the existence of translated LNs. I just went through the first volume to remind myself of the events and to check if something is different from the anime. I think I'll get to the other volume's as well.

#75 Matemar, Feb 27, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  16. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

Reading a few books at the moment, but right now I'm working my way through The Life of Pi. Incredibly witty novel and worth the read so far.

17. LunarCharm

LunarCharm Comrade of the Moon

I just finished reading the first few chapters of Kaguya-sama: Love is War. I didn't expect this manga to be so entertaining. It's my new favorite after just one volume.

18. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Normally I don't read manga, I need to use glasses and it's easy for me to lose the flow ( sometimes it's straight across, or goes down one side then the other, or it zig-zags ), but then I found a volume 1 of a story at the Goodwill store for a buck and thought I'd try it. They actually had a selection, but most of the others were high school romance stories which looked pretty stupid from the get go, or they didn't have volume 1. Ended up with Bloody Cross, which has angels, demons, half-breeds and vampires which didn't sound too bad. Turns out the story is basically about two half-breeds that form an uneasy alliance ( they are both rather independent, headstrong and aggressive ) to try to alleviate a curse that they both share which will kill them in a rather short amount of time. The characters are kind of getting me hooked, I may have to see if I can find volumes 2 and up.

19. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Finished Rokka Braves of the Six Flowers - volume 2. This volume picks up right after where the anime left off and while the end of volume 1 (and the anime) gave the idea of a rinse and repeat premise nothing could be further from the truth. This is both a nail bitingly tense thriller and a teriffic mystery with a final reveal that absolutely blew me away. I continue to be amazed at author Ishio Yamagata's talent at very deftly fusing the fantasy and mystery genres together.

This second volume is fundamnetally different from the first. Starying with how it completely avoids the same format as the first volume by revealing the identity of the culprit on the first page. Moreover it starts with a scene from the very tail end of the novel which means we as the reader know exactly where the story is going to end up. We just don't know what led up to all ths and ovr the course of the novel's 200+ pages Yamagata slowly unfolds the precise events of what actually transpired to get there and just when you feel you have a firm grasp on what really happened he completely turns the tables on us. Yet all of that is merely a decoy from the real mystery, one that seems at first trivial but turns out to be the key to the whole affair with a reveal so out of left field yet so perfect it left me speechless.

I also greatly admire Yamagata's deftness at avoiding obvious genre tropes without calling much attentio to what he';s doing and still paying tribute to these very genres. Much like the first book volume 2 of Rokka had many standard traits of botht eh fantasy and mystery novel genre yet it's a completely unique standout work in its own right. The protagonist Adlet Mayer is a young man who constantly roclaims himself "the storngest man in the world" but his strength does not lie in physical prowess but more his incredible inttellect, Allowing hm to focus on the most minute details that others woud simply ignore but which ultimately crack open the whole case. Similarly the set up is a standard heroes must defeat evil overord story but the minutaea of that quest has very little to do with actual fighting and everything to do with trying to figure out the schemes of their greatest opponent. It's already a testament to Yamagata's brilliance and confidence in his readers that he held off revealing the prime antagonist of the series until the second volume.

The artwork is quite good. Though, with the exception of the titlepage of each chapter, there isn't much of it. But this is a series you have to read for the story and not the art anyway.

Overall Rokka - Braves of the Six Flowers - volume 2 is a superior sequel to an already very strong first volume. It's exceptionally well crafted plot, unique and complex characters and inrelenting tension make it an absolute page turner. It's bigger in scope, faster in pace and yes undeniably better than its predecessor. If you're a fan of the Rokka anime or have already read the first novel this is a must read. I for one am already glad I have volume 3 lying on my night stand as we speak as this is an exceptional series that I think I can now definitally call one of my favourite works of fantasy fiction.

8.5/10

[​IMG]