What are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Manga' started by Dunn x Dolo, May 25, 2016.

1. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Found another Goodwill bargain, vol. 1 of Soul Eater. This one I actually had a fairly easy read and went through the whole book in no time. The first vol. is actually three stories that, I'm guessing, sets up a cast of characters that the reader will follow in future issues. Normally I don't care for the human to weapon transformation type of story, but this one seems interesting enough to stick with. On a side note, in a syndicated daily comic, Sally Forth, the family and friends are at a Comic Con and one of the kids cosplayed as Soul.

There was another manga on the shelf that I didn't pick up and for good reason. It was translated into Mandarin so I wouldn't have a clue what anyone was saying. The only reason I know that was because on the last page, in English, which is really confusing, there was an acknowledgement for the proper approval from some Japanese agency to publish the story in Mandarin. The only other thing I could read was on the cover. At the top it said "Young", but I don't know if that was the title or just the book publisher or something. At any rate, the story looked pretty gory and graphic in a disturbing way, so it didn't really matter.

2. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I picked up 2 new manga (I already binged them, and now I have to wait <_<).

The manga in question have risen the ranks pretty suddenly, and are contending for the top spots in the shounen jump rankings.

The 2 manga I picked up are Dr. Stone and Kimetsu no Yaiba.

Dr. Stone is especially surprising. It's a fairly new manga, but (if I remember correctly) is currently occupying the number 2 spot in the rankings, with the number 1, naturally belonging to One Piece.

3. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I'm rereading Kabi Nagata's My Lesbian Experience with Loneliness in preparation for my copy of its sequel, My Solo Exchange Diary coming in the mail. Her work is very honest and it's an interesting look into her experiences discovering and taking care of herself, with some insight into how her identity is treated in Japan. The art's also really cute and uses pink instead of grey as an accent color.

4. FallingStar

FallingStar Newbie

Currently reading Shomin Sample.

5. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Gunsmith Cats: Revised Edition Volume 1

Back when I was an edgy schoolboy, I really liked Gunsmith Cats, but never finished it, so having noticed this version on the free library-sponsored Comics Plus app, I figured why not.

It's hard to remove the nostalgia goggles, but what still strikes me straight off is how much the kind of bright, slightly cutesy look of Sonoda's character art contrasts with the lurid content of the story. While I think the action has always been the main draw of the series, the sheer amount of sleaze contained herein may take some folk by surprise, although, given that the manga is effectively a love letter to pulp crime cinema, you can't really say it's out of place either.

Once you get a feel for what the manga is doing, however, I think it still holds up brilliantly. The action scenes are brilliantly choreographed (it's a surprise that Sonoda has never directed anime) and the crisp, clean artwork is as good as it ever was. Sonoda's background as a character designer is quite evident in the detail - even the bit part players who might only have a line or two of dialogue seem fully realised and distinct. It's story is quite episodic and, as this revised edition covers about two and a half of the original tankobons, it ends just around the point I think the manga really hits its stride, but there's more than enough in this one to get a flavour of what to expect going forwards.

6. Neji195

Neji195 Not your average "Newbie"

I actually just started Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire for the first time. Very excited.

7. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

I'm reading the rather excellent Nevernight.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/26114463-nevernight

Basically Ayra's arc from GoT (but not shit), Hogwarts for assassins, murder mystery, cities built out the bones of dead gods and people getting stabbed in the face.

Good stuff.

8. Neji195

Did I say Goblet of fire? I must've been tipsy. I meant Order of the phoenix!

9. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher Newbie

I'm got third volume of Bakuman open on my desk, so I guess that. Bakuman is hype af to read, or maybe that's just me and I relive the Bakuman hype I had when I initially read it.

Oh wait... Is this anything we are reading or just manga?

If it's anything, I've been low-key obsessed with Discworld. I'm up to the fifth Discworld novel: Sourcery, and I love it, curly boots and all.

Very exciting. I remember the Goblet of Fire particularly vividly.

10. Neji195

Some very very great storytelling. It has become a new favourite book, although I'm not done!