What Are Your Favorite Games?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Novaire, Feb 9, 2017.

1. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I was surprised to find that we didn't have a topic on this subject. The closest I could find was similar, but not all encompassing, focusing only on RPGs. So, what are your favorite video games? I don't see the need for an arbitrary limit on the topic, so share as many or as few as you like!

---

I'll kick things off. No particular order for me, as I'm pretty flaky on this stuff.

Suikoden V (PlayStation 2)
    This was the first traditional role-playing that really struck my fancy. I played all of the genre's heavy hitters before it came around, but none of them had me sitting in the floor glued to the television in the same way that Suikoden V managed to. It's hard to get into the plot without including spoilers because the game delivers right out the gate, so I won't attempt to do so. As a hallmark of the series, it has 107 characters which can unite with the protagonist in service of the story, should the player seek them out at the appropriate time. It's a helluva ride, and I loved every second of it.

Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable)
    I played Persona 3 after the fourth game in the series, and I was blown away. I liked Persona 4, but I loved Persona 3. It's the complete package. A dark story backed with a varied cast of characters and solid gameplay. That's without mentioning Shoji Meguro's score, which is some of the best video game music ever put to a disc. In fact, it's so good, I'd argue that it's primary competition for that crown would be it's sequel, which was scored by the same man. The series prominently uses relationship values as a primary mechanic, and few games do it as well as the latter two entries.

Fire Emblem: Awakening (Nintendo 3DS)
    For me, Fire Emblem is the best ongoing video game series. I continually go back to older entries time and time again, and I have a great time doing so. I've played the majority of them, and with one exception, I consider them fantastic game. With all of that out of the way, I'll point out that I've played Awakening more than the rest of the series combined, for me, it represents the pinnacle of the series to date. Simply put, this is my jam. It takes an already fairly compelling story and wraps it up nicely with the best set of characters in the series' long history. Similar to the Persona games, relationship values are pretty valuable here as well, with the player in control of everyone in the armies friendships. They were in previous games, but were never embraced as much as they were in Awakening. If you want an entry point for the franchise, this is the game to get.

Catherine (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)

The most recent addition to the list, Catherine is easily the most unique of the bunch. Let me get this out of the way first: Catherine contains the most engrossing story I've ever encountered in a video game. Every character is memorable, and the dialogue is incredibly well written. When it comes to gameplay, it pulls no punches, it's hard. *Very freakin'* hard. It's rewards you for using your noggin, if you're bad at Catherine, it's your fault, I should know. Like the Persona games, it was scored by Shoji Meguro, and is of a similar quality, although not anywhere near as memorable.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown (PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Vita, Mobile)
    Few games have provided me with as memorable a moment in gameplay as the first game in the rebooted XCOM series. That story ranks as one of many reasons that I loved XCOM: Enemy Unknown and it's expansion pack. During my first experience with the game, I lost a multi-hour save file to sheer stupidity, and didn't react negatively whatsoever, I just hopped right back in, as I was really digging everything about it. It builds and builds to a perfect final chapter, and ranks in as one of my favorite experiences in recent times.

Because of the high quality of this and Fire Emblem: Awakening, I ended up pretty disappointed with their sequels, despite them being two (four, grumble) respectable games in their own rite. A testament to the quality of these two titles, and to a whiny, entitled motherfucker. 2016, am I right?

Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires (Xbox 360)
    Hopefully by this point in the forum's lifespan, someone has picked up on the fact that I love Koei's musou games. That bridges back to Dynasty Warriors 3, but the one I played the most of was none other than Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires, an excellent spin-off which matched strategic thinking and hack and slash game that took over my life for a few months. I still enjoy the Empires line, but none have been anywhere near as addicting for me.

Halo 3 (Xbox 360)
    2007 was the year of the first-person shooter, and if anyone says differently, they're out of their mind. Team Fortress 2, Portal, BioShock, Half-Life 2: Episode 2 and Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. Well, I didn't play any of those because I was too busy playing Halo 3. Halo 3 was the dominant game of an entire year of my life, with me playing matchmaking and customs all the time. I met the vast majority of my best pals through those customs in fact. I'm still very close with a lot of them nearly a decade later, and for that, I'll always have Halo to thank. Every time they flame me in League of Legends or Counterstrike, I just think, Halo 3 man. Thanks O'Donnel.

Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare (PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)
    Like I said, in 2007, I was busy playing Halo, but when 2008 came around, I started looking at our game collection looking for another game, as I was going on a trip to our relative's home out-of-state. I grabbed a few that sounded alright and played a couple with my young cousin. Near his curfew, I busted out Call of Duty 4 and tried it for the first time. I finished the campaign in one sitting on a twelve-inch CRT, and it was some of the most fun I have ever had. I played multiplayer rivaling time I spent with Halo 3 through the rest of the year.

Mass Effect 2 (Xbox 360, Playstation 3, PC)
    Mass Effect 2 was the perfect amalgam of gameplay, world building, and effective storytelling. Each and every character is allowed a lengthy backstory, even throwaway quests are good, and the paragon system is better than ever. The infamous Suicide Mission is a damn fine climax. I'm trying to think of something I didn't love at the time, and I've got nothing to offer. (Totally didn't steal this and the last few descriptions from a previous topic because I was tired!)

Sweet Home (Famicom)
    The grandfather to Capcom's own Resident Evil, Sweet Home is a traditional role-playing game with a prominent horror theme. A group of people enter an abandoned mansion in the owner's painting collection. The game boasts several unique features, including the ability to split your party of five into any configuration in order to explore the mansion, even doing so during battle, and running one group to assist the other is a possibility. Each member of the group has an item unique to them, ie; a vacuum to clean the paintings, or a camera to photo them. It has a true perma-death mechanic. If one of the crew falls in battle, they're gone, and they cannot be resurrected, but the other members can find a replacement item to take over for their unique role. It's easily the most innovative role-playing game of the time, and it holds up better than even most modern RPGs.

With Resident Evil 7's recent drop onto the market, now's a great time to give it a go, and there's an English fan patch available if you were so inclined.

Custom Robo (GameCube)
    My favorite title on the GameCube, Custom Robo is an action-rpg wherein the characters control miniature robots in a virtual arena. The Gameplay itself isn't really what I'm interested in. It's fairly repetitive, only varying based on the parts you're using, and the number of robots fighting at the time. The part that really makes it for me are the character designs, the characters themselves and the story. It holds up very nicely, and it's disappointing that Nintendo has pretty much axed the franchise at this point.

MLB Power Pros (Playstation 2, Wii)
    This is a member of the long running Konami series Jikkyō Pawafuru Puro Yakyū, and the first to make the jump stateside. The main appeal here comes from it's My Player equivalent. It's presented as a visual novel with dating sim and progression elements. There are randomized events, some of the most established characters can leave your team. Sports is the core element, sure, but there's a lot of role-playing elements to be found here. Beyond that, it's just a really fun baseball game!

Sleeping Dogs (PC, Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4)
    Here's a triad centered sandbox game with a compelling 70's Kung Fu styled plot. Fighting is a lot of fun, and there's a lot of extra stuff to enjoy, should you choose to do so.

Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos (PC)
    I used to play this on LAN with my brother and his friends quite a bit, and it was lot of fun, but my favorite part of Warcraft III has always been Arthas Menethil. He's one bad dude, and the human story which follows his journey to save Lordaeron in Reign of Chaos is an excellent and nicely varied from level to level..

Medabots: An RPG Adventure (Game Boy Advance)
    I loved the Medabots anime when I was younger, and still do to this day. This was the remake of a Japanese only Game Boy game, and that game actually inspired the television series, and not vise-versa. It is not to be confused with Medabots: AX, another GBA game which is largely... rubbish. This is a 3-on-3 role playing game with a fun to experience and hundreds of Medaparts to collect. As a fan of the source material, it was very rewarding for finishing out my parts collection and building up all of my favorite Medabots.

Sonic Adventure 2 (Dreamcast, GameCube)
    If their was a game that defined my childhood, it was Sonic Adventure 2, more specifically the GameCube port, as that's where I did the majority of my playing. It was fast, the music was awesome. It was a shared interest too. Everyone I knew liked it, but most prominently, my best friend at the time and I absolutely loved the Chao Garden minigame, and played it nonstop, every week. It was great fun.

Touch Detective (Nintendo DS)
    This is an adorable DS mystery game featuring some pretty interesting cases. Aesthetically speaking, it looks great, embracing a chibi art-style and combining it with a sort-of dark feel. The world feels full and there are several memorable characters. The music is also quite good.

Chroma Squad (PC, Xbox One, PS4)
    I don't feel terribly inclined to write a paragraph for this one. If you wanna know, read the review ya bugger.

---

[note] Because I mention them a few times, and it's not a widely used term, here's a notation on relationship values. Relationship values are the indicator of affection or discontentment that NPCs express toward the player's character. They are motivated by the player's decisions and affect gameplay in various ways.

#1 Novaire, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

no order:

halo

excellent shooter with solid single player campaigns and great multiplayer. the stories are usually quite engaging. i haven't gotten to halo 5 yet though i bought it shortly after launch. i did soms mp for awhile.

uncharted

its not as tight a shooter as hslo but its wild fun. uncharted 4 was a great finale for naughty dog. it truly is like playing indiana jones.

assassins Creed

one of the great story telling series. though theyve strayed from the real world/animus combo that was intriguing. its still a good time and engaging.

tales series

absolutely great fun. youre literally playing an anime :) i love the comic skits in between battle and travel sequences. they keep mixing the battle system to keep it different.

Novaire likes this.
  3. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I don't feel like writing reviews right now, but I'll give you a list.

No special order:

Elder Scrolls Skyrim

Fallout New Vegas

Hitman Blood Money

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat

Portal 2

Dishonored

Mafia 2

Life is Strange

That's mostly the ones I can name right now. There might be some that I forgot about.

Novaire likes this.
  4. DamianWinters

DamianWinters Active Member

Bioshock: Amazing game, beautiful setting, stunning atmosphere, an incredibly good story and some of the funnest combat/upgrades in a video game. Easily in my Top 2 games alongside...

Dragon age Origins: I played this game atleast 7+ times and loved it everytime, so many different starting points (game starts completely differently depending on your Race, Class and upbringing) and it has so many different branching choices in how you can go about each mission and area. Very fun strategic combat that you can play either in real time or with lots of pausing. Tons of different customization for your character and a wide selection of awesome companion characters which you can choose to keep or kill pretty much on your wims. If you haven't play it then you definitely have to.

The Darkness 2: My favourite FPS game after Bioshock, has one of the most interesting storys ive played (though don't play The Darkness 1, its not worth it they catch you up in this) and also probably the funnest FPS combat to date. Its the only game I know that lets you Quad wield weapons and it has a wide selection of upgrades and different guns to choose from. Only possible downside to this game is its only about 6ish hours long and has a cliffhanger ending with unfortunately no sequel yet.

Mass Effect: The first game in this series is easily my favourite, the inventory system isn't perfect but its infinitely better than not having one cough ME2 & 3 cough. Has so much customization (apart from race unfortunately) involved and the story can be completely different depending on your choices. The combat is fun with its cool physic ability's or just straight gunplay that doesn't have any pesky ammo limit holding you down. Has cool planet exploration were you can land, drive around in your fast tank vehicle, finding resources and enemy settlements.

A few more I really liked but Im to lazy to write more explanations :p
    Darksiders 1 and 2 (like god of war mixed with Zelda)
    Prototype (such fun flying around the city)
    Lost Planet 3 (awesome well written story)
    Pokemon mystery dungeon, explorers of sky (best pokemon game ever)
    Fallout 3 and New Vegas (must get the GOTY editions, such great DLC content for them)
    Fire Emblem Awakening (Don't marry yourself to soon, best character comes later)
    Etrian Odyssey untold version (great dungeon crawler with a nice story, free demos on 3DS)

#4 DamianWinters, Feb 9, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Novaire likes this.
  5. David S

David S Newbie

My favorite game of all time is GTA SA. The things you could do on the game was fantastic, the story was great. The missions in the game were really fun and challenging. The side missions were fun, I spent hours playing on that game when I was little. I remember playing it with Vice City on the PS2 at the time. CJ was a brilliant character, and the map were huge in the game. Better than GTA 5.

6. Sygryn

Sygryn Active Member

Let's see..

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks
    Metal Gear Rising
    Battlefield 3
    Cossacks Back to War
    Dishonored
    Skyrim
    Far Cry 3

7. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Edgy Teenager
    Staff Advisory Silver Founder Plus

My favorite games are probably:

Europa Universalis 4 (PC):
    Pretty much only play this game because I'm a fuckin' nerd. I like Paradox games a lot, and they're probably one of my favorite game companies.
    Myst (PC):
    Love Cyan inc. Playing Obduction right now and loving it, though I think Myst captured my imagination a little better.
    S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Pripyat (PC):
    Honestly just a really fun, atmospheric game. I've enjoyed the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series much more than Fallout, personally. Shoutout to @Matemar.
    Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves (PS2):
    Haven't played this game in a looong time, but loved it as a kid.

Overall I tend to like strategy and puzzle games, and tend to lean away from shooters and really timesinky RPG's. Grand Strategy is probably one of my favorite genres.

8. zoldos

zoldos Newbie

I like MMOs, on -line shooters, arcade racers, and city building games. :D

9. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

syphon filter 2 (ps1) crash bash (ps1) tony hawk pro skater 3 (ps1) amazing island (gamecube)

10. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Did you try the Misery mod for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. CoP? It's so cool, it makes the game really hard and realistic. Who needs amazing graphics when the game is so good.

Speaking of EU 4 I've been thinking of starting to play a strategy game, and this one showed up as a contender.

Harlequinn likes this.
  11. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

Donkey Kong Country 2
    Dragon Quest VII
    Majora's Mask
    Uncharted 4
    Persona 4
    Final Fantasy IX

12. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Bloodborne
    Final Fantasy Tactics
    Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    Suikoden III
    Tales of the Abyss
    Dark Souls
    Demon's Souls
    Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    Dragon's Dogma
    Conker's Bad Fur Day

Yeah, I'm indecisive, and have a lot of favorites.

#12 Struggler, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  13. GameCube

GameCube Newbie

As for games coming out after 2007, I'd say my favorites are Super Mario Galaxy I and II, Super Mario Bros Wii, Donkey Kong Country, and Mario Kart. As far as games made before 2007 are concerned, I'd say I really enjoyed Banjokazooie for Nintendo 64 and Mario Kart for GameCube. Note, at one time I also enjoyed Sonic Spinball, but it doesn't seem as fun now.

14. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Ikaruga - Proper manly shooter. That I completed. Only 27 credits. Apparently you are meant to do it with one. Gave a tired genre a mucnh need kick up the arse. Also, has anyoe ever killed the second boss? I just wait until he goes away.

Street Fighter Alpha 3/Street Fighter 3: Third Strike. The best 3 Steetfighter games imo. The first one was unbalanced sure, but kicked ass in 2 player mode with the different selectable styles and I just loved the character designs of this one. Third Strike is probably the most balanced fighter ever made. Only Garou Mark Of Wolves comes close and I never played much of that to make this list.

Samurai Showdown 2 - The first one on one fighter to be anywhere near as good as Street Fighter 2 and the sequel is even better. Balanced gameplay, superb animation and music, the music......

Super Mario World - Well its between this and Mario 3 for my fave platformer. I need to check the later Rayman incarnations sometimes, and I'm still playing Spelunky to death.

Legend Of Mana - The music and colour pallette. Oh my got.

Doom - First fps to make me go wtf. Only Farcry and Unreal Tournament have ever come close since then.
    50 freakin years ago.

Bust A Move - Like Candy Crush. But not actually Candy Crush. Win.

God Of War 2 - Hooked within 2 minutes of playing. Should've called it quits after this, they were never gonna be this good again.

Metal Gear Solid 3. Who thought digging bullets out your ass and squeezing guards balls until they were rendered unconscious could be so much fun. Wish I'd got 'The End' on my first play through.

#14 Oh Snape, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  15. zoldos

zoldos Newbie

Too old! I prefer modern games. hehe I didn't get a GTX 900 series video card for nothing! lol

16. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

I do agree that the music and graphics are really nice, though I'm personally not a fan with how the game is set up. I do dislike how there are quite a few quests that don't really give much information on what you're supposed to do. Or how to activate and complete all the quests basically requires a guide, unless out of sheer luck you find out which certain artifacts have to go on which specific square, and how certain quests have to be started, yet not completed before you start a specific quest. Or how getting the best weapon in the game requires you to have a save file of Saga Frontier 2, despite it never being mentioned.