General What did you want to be when you grew up and why?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Shadow Fox, May 27, 2016.

1. Raffee

Raffee Panda
    Platinum Founder

I always wanted to be the pink ranger! We should totes form a team together.

Oh, and a detective. I wanted to be that as well.

Kuze likes this.
  2. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

For as long as I could remember I wanted to be a writer. I still do so that hasn't changed, although realistically it's very hard to make a living from writing fiction, so I guess it's more of a hobby on the side now. Although I do submit to magazines and stuff now and then.

3. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

[​IMG]

Narilka likes this.
  4. B_Raiden_

B_Raiden_ Your local neighbourhood fedora flipping weeaboo

Not sure if you have done it yet but how about showing the community some of your work? I think it would allow you to get feedback etc

5. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

I've already shared a little fantasy story, although fantasy isn't my usual genre. I'm writing a collection of stories for my creative writing class at University though so I'll probably share those sometime in the future

6. Narippo

Narippo Senior Member
    Platinum Founder

For the longest time I wanted to be in the Police. Always wanted to help people but I don't have the steady hand to perform surgery, and I just don't feel like medical stuff is for me :p
    Fireman was out of the option as a kid as I just couldn't cope with heat. Been unable to cope with heat isn't really great when you are going to up close and personal with fire.
    So a police officer is what i wanted to be. That decision was made when i was around 5 or 6. Still kinda holds true 14 years later. Although, it is more of a back up job now.
    The current dream is to be a volcanologist :) Pretty certain I won't achieve that as I don't believe I am smart enough, but I will try. I'm half on the right course at Uni so.. Will work towards it, if it doesn't work out, and nothing else pops up that is appealing. The police is where I will try as a back up. If I got into the police, the dream would to be a dog handler. :)

7. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Wanted to be an astronaut, because I liked watching space shows and sciencey stuff. Was told I'd be rejected based on being too tall. Turns out Astronauts are manlets and it costs a ton to put tall people into space.

The joke's on them though, with the growth of the private space industry my dream will finally be realized. Also I may or may not have plans to buy up all the space faring companies and enforce a no short people rule, or a "You must be this tall to ride" regulation regarding space travel. In space we will breed the perfect tall people, it'll be like Gundam meets Blue Gender meets James Bond.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  8. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

There's this whole notion that we tell kids they can be whatever they want and you have to pursue your dreams for your life to be fulfilled non sense. It all comes down to knowing what your strengths are and being practical. Your job is not the end all be all of your life. I still enjoy photography but am glad I did not try to pursue that as a career. Now I'm doing something that I still enjoy, is a good fit for my skills, and most importantly is stable.

9. DnJ

DnJ Angel
    Gold Founder

I wanted to be a detective in space. No idea why, but catching astronaut-miscreant was the path I foresaw for myself. Turns out it is not a thing...

10. Strahan

Strahan Newbie

Earliest I can remember a serious desire to be something was when I was ten and my sister got a Tandy 1000 computer. I enjoyed running all the commands on the DOS 2.01 disk, learning what they do. Made me want a job doing that. It was nice actually, knowing what I wanted to do.. I was able to concentrate on learning without flitting from idea to idea. Now thirty years later I'm a senior systems engineer for municipal government getting paid well and working from home. Pretty happy with how it all turned out :)

11. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

Did you have scissors for hands in the drawing?

As a kid, I remember wanting to become Wolverine. Not that being Wolverine is a job...but you know, childish dreams and such.

Why? I'm sure I don't have to explain why. Wolverine, come on.

12. Talullah

Talullah Newbie

For a while when I was little I wanted to work with Sharks since I liked the movie Jaws a lot to become a marine biologist and study them. Then if I remember right later on I wanted to write and become an author.

13. Takatofan1986

Takatofan1986 New Member

I really wanted to be a lawyer. I had several people tell me it would never happen. I wish I wouldn't have listened to them and tried.

14. Xaestalrasz

Xaestalrasz Splendiferous Wizardess
    Platinum Founder

I never really put thought into it. I've always been a pretty in-the-now person. I suppose, back then, I would have liked to be a writer or game developer. I read a lot and played a lot of games. I just never really had many thoughts of wanting to do or be X when I was older. People tell me I have the lion's share of authorly ability and I just need to refine it. Not too late to start, I suppose.

15. XxKINGKAIJUxX

XxKINGKAIJUxX New Member

when i was really little i wanted to be a zookeeper like Steve Irwin or film director like Steven Spielberg. It wasn't until 8th grade i got dead set on film but as i got older i've been looking at some stable back up plans i can get with a film and journalism degree. Not that i gave up on being a director i just dont want to put all my eggs in one basket.

16. Psychotika

Psychotika Newbie
    Platinum Founder

When I was 4 my dad asked my brother and I what we wanted to be when we grew up. My brother replied with President of the US, my response was a Ninja Turtle.

I'd still be down if it were an actual thing. To be honest, I always wanted a job where I could help, like being a doctor, a vet or some great activist. However, I'm currently happy just bringing video games into the market that people can enjoy.

17. Franklin D. Roosevelt

I wanted to be a basketball player, because I was already something like 5'6" when I was 12 or so. Sadly as it turns out, my growth hit the roof around the 5'10" mark a couple years later (which I attribute to inactivity, but still) so that went down the drain :(

18. Tetsu

Tetsu Void Walker
    Silver Founder

I really wanted to be a dinosaur when I was a kid because kid reasons. A while ago I actually find some old drawings of what me as a dinosaur would look like and let me tell you, you wouldn't see it in a museum. :D