Discussion What is it about Anime that you like?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by Teg, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Teg

Teg Newbie

So, I'm not a person who watches or reads Anime. At least, I don't do it on a regular basis. Every once in a while something will catch my eye and I'll watch it but that is rare. So, what I'd like to know is what makes Anime so special? Why does everyone seem to love it? What recommendations would you give to someone who has no experience with Anime?

2. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I personally like it because of the diversity that it offers.

Western Media, or live action in general, is usually bound to it's production budget for it to look good, sound good, have good actors, ect. As for the story, it can be a rehash, a remake, a rehash of a remake, or a prequel to a sequel.

Whereas, in animation in general, As long as you have the ability to make the animation in the first place, there are no limitations to what story you can tell. From there, the only thing that sets you apart from other animations is your story and your delivery.
    Take for example, the anime Ajin. It proved that you don't even need good animation for you to deliver an amazing story.

So because of that, you can have an anime about literally anything... How about a school for magic girls? How about mecha suit fights? How about space battles in another dimension? How about highschoolers with supernatural powers? How about a little bit of everything and a kid wanting to be king of the pirates? How about a bunch of cute anime girls who double as WW2 battleships? Or an unlikely hero getting sent to a parallel fantasy universe... And then subsequently getting murdered a couple dozen times. Maybe you want a baldie who can kill everyone in one punch, or a romance that throws you on an emotional roller coaster? The list is literally without end.

And really, it doesn't have to be Japanese anime. It's just that they're the few who are actually creating riveting linear plot lines. Unlike most Western animation that is usually either in the form of a blockbuster, or episodic cartoons. There are a few exceptions though, such as Code Lyoko, Young Justice, Avatar the last airbender. But otherwise, there's a reason why Japanese anime has such a big community.

So, if I were to give you some recommendations... I can only tell you what I've watched and enjoyed, so our tastes could be drastically different. But that said, don't be afraid to experiment, because there is more than likely a niche especially made for you.
    One thing you could do is start out like how I did, and start by watching the more popular titles, like Sword art Online, Attack on Titan, My hero academy, Steins;gate, or Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

But if you're looking to see best of what the anime community has to offer, and if you want to see what I mean by having the ability to tell amazing stories you might have never experienced before, then the absolute best title I can recommend is:

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin

Don't let the dark atmosphere intimidate you, and don't make my mistake and let it sit in your "plan to watch list" forever. But trust me when I say, this is some good shit.

Anyways, to conclude my @Kerberos sized rant... Welcome to the anime community, and I hope you stick around.

tripplej likes this.
  3. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Why everyone seems to love anime I cannot say because...well I'm not evryone. Though I do think that a lot of people would agree with @4xdblack in that diversity has a lot to do with it.

As for myself, I got into anime rather late as I was already in my early 20s when I first got interested in it. What first got me into the medium was the emphasis on artistic expression over mere technical prowess. I've always been a rather large filmbuff with a clear liking for arthouse cinema and as such I've always been dissapointed by the lack of western tv-shows with a clear artistic style. Anime however is full of those shows even though most are rather niche. Over time I also got interested in more mainstream anime series and now I consume basically any kind of anime with my tastes ranging from surrealist sci fi to cute girls doing cute things.

As for recommendations, that's a little difficult because it differs from person to person depending on his or her tastes. I assume you do consume other formes of media such as movies, books etc... What are you favourite genres? Or alternatively, what are some of your favourite movies, books etc...? Perhaps knowing that I can recommend you some anime that might suit your taste.

One piece of advice I will give you is that with anime tv-series it's best to drop any and all comparissons to western tv-series as in a very real sense anime series are much closer to extended films. Both in terms of the vast amount that get released every season as well as the average runtime of a series. It's rare for an anime series to get a second season and almost impossible for a show to get a third one. The average anime series is 12 x 23 eps and occasioanlly double that amount. Meaning that you rarely get more than 10 hours of storytelling per series. The only series that do get more episodes are almost solely gained towards a very young audience such as Naruto or Bleach. These series are more comparable to saturday morning cartoons and as such largely ignored by the more hardcore anime crowd you find on forums such as these. The lack of runtime for anime series has both its upsides and downsides. The upsides is that basically any sotry can be told as series are not designed to run for more than one season. The downside is that you don't really get to spend an extended amount of time with a core cast and see them grow and develop over the years. Regardless, this is something I'd definityely keep in mind as you take your fist steps into the ravenous yet beautiful wilderness athat is the anime landscape.

Hope that was in any way informative to you and with luck I can give you some solid recommendations soon. :)

tripplej likes this.
  4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I also agree with the previous reasons. Though ill add this - i also like it for the insights into Japanese culture. Granted its superficial and geared to serve the story at hand. So i know its not a true representation of the culture but its still a good insight.

I also like the wide range of story telling you can get. Even in action series you can get a romance substory going. And being a sterotypical American male i dont tend watch live action romcoms or romance shows/movies. However i have started watching more romcoms in anime. I have even cried watching anime. Some were tears of joy in dramatic action series while others were genuine heartfelt tears.

Just a side note to Kerberos' mention on runlengths. Youll get several series that can top 60 or more. What will happen is you have three or more seasons of 13-26 episodes each and that adds up quickly. Just fyi - there are many incomplete series out there. Some are just made to get you to read the manga (Japanese comics). Others dont have enough following to get another season.

As far as recommendations skys the limit. Just note around the year 2000 give or take is the widescreen revolution. Before then will be square 4:3 video. Also im not sureon the timing but mid 2000s started the introduction of computer aided animation. Not just cgi but color coding and other tweaks that make it feel quite different from 20th century material. Not better or worse just different. Also note some 80s and earlier animation can be quite rough compared to modern techniques. Of course being a child of thd 80s i love that era. Of course that's a generalization. There are exceptions to every rule.

There's a recommendation thread on thd forum so you can request specific types of shows. Heres s few to get you going:

Action:

Sword art online
    Log horizon
    Fullmetal alchemist

Romance

Spice and wolf
    Blue spring ride
    Clannad

Comedy

Monthly girl
    Blend s
    New game

Many of us have a mal (my anime list) accoubt. Mines inmy sig link below. There's lots there.

tripplej likes this.
  5. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Just name your genre and I'm pretty sure we can get you hooked to a show or two.

And like everyone has mentioned, anime is unbound in its imaginative stories yet a lot of them are pretty gritty and realistic as well so the possibilities are many. Anime has some of the best plots and characters in the medium.

tripplej, Kerberos and 4xdblack like this.
  6. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

So I'm the only one who watches anime for the songs?

Bummer.

tripplej likes this.
  7. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

That was me when I was 12. Cracking OP, I watch. Also helped that those happened to be real gems; Wolfs Rain, GITS, Trinity Blood. They were airing shows at the time. Gotta love old Animax.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Not my main reason. Some have great orchestral soundtracks. I actually got the song disc with my sao ordinal scale bluray limited edition set. Havent popped it in yet.

Akb00048 had great music. I also liked the most recent macross series. There was such a great moment early on i remember tearing up with joy at the moment.

tripplej likes this.
  9. Matemar

Matemar Corvus

Lots of thing were already mentioned, so I'm just going to add one more thing.

Anime is essentially art, well... moving animated art. This means that unlike movies the artist has full freedom to control the world as he/she sees fit.
    This opens many possibilities for minimalism, surrealism, abstract art, and so on.

Kerberos and tripplej like this.
  10. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

When I was a kid it was an escape from reality; to some extent I guess that's why I still love it so much. If I'd I had to single out one aspect though it would be kick ass fight scenes. Im talking about the kinds that give you chills and leave you unable to sit still.

Remember the scene from Bleach when Ichigo is about to get smashed after his fight with the weird scythe Espada dude? When the screen goes black and all you hear is Zaraki Kenpachi's voice? Then you see the image of him blocking that giant guys punch with his sword? God that gave me chills.

That's what I like about--and ultimately why I watch--anime. It's like heroine and I'm just trying to constantly relive that high; hoping to discover another Code Geass, Naruto, Toradora, or Black Lagoon.

tripplej likes this.
  11. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

There's a massive 'adult/mature teen geered animation' shaped hole in western media which animu fills in nicely.

Most of it is shit and creepily weird so I don't watch as much as I'd like. As for recs I usually just mention anything by Studio Ghibli for anime noobs. There's tons of genres so theres bound to be something you'll like so look into that on sites such as myanimelist etc.

tripplej likes this.
  12. tripplej

tripplej Established Member

I agree with what everybody said above in this thread. My first intro was Robotech in the 80s.. It was just so different from what was available so I was hooked. I agree 100% with Snape, you can't go wrong with Studio Ghibli movies especially for new folks who want a taste of anime..

My go to 5 Studio Ghibli favorites are below.

Princess Mononoke
    Kiki’s Delivery Service
    My Neighbor Totoro
    Castle in the Sky
    Spirited Away

yoda313 likes this.
  13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I think its been mentioned but ill rephrase it:

There are no rules!

Anything and everything happens in anime. You think of it its probably been done. Granted some can be squeamish. Im not a horror fan so i avoid those. This gives you such a wealth of options. The sky is truly the limit.

4xdblack and tripplej like this.