What Kind of Phone Do You Have/Want?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red_Dragon, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

As the title says.

I'm currently using an LG V20 and I love it. I came from the LG G5 which I actually did not like, it wasn't a bad phone but the LCD quality wasn't good and the battery life was below average.

Currently for my next phone I'm looking at one of the following: HTC U11, Nokia 8, LG V30, Galaxy Note 8.

2. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

I have iPhone 7 plus. My life is not complete without a mini tablet in my purse :p. I replaced my 6 plus a couple of weeks ago with it and the camera is a lot better, I can see all of my freckles now haha. I do not like how sensitive the screen is in the 7 plus, but maybe I am a bit more heavy handed out of habit? It suits me, I like to text and listen to music lot and play occasional games.

Overall all I am happy with it.

3. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Galaxy S7. I like it well enough. No complaints. Don't remember when I'll be able to get a new phone. I'll likely just get whatever the newest Galaxy model is (not the Edge version if it's available, though).

4. Sygryn

Sygryn Active Member

I have an Huawei P9, and so far it's completely amazing!

5. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

You can also use it as a weapon if necessary :p

How is the battery life holding up?

That Phone has a pretty sweet camera, this was the first phone that made me pretty interested in Huawei

Narilka likes this.
  6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Sony xperia X. you can get the US version for 230 dollars got it for 250 dollars myself can't complain. The camera sensors are good enough to even compete with s8 or surpass it despite being a 2016 phone. Thats one of Sony's strength is the camera will be good no matter even though this is a premium midranger that is better than even the s7 ( I dont like samsung software). Screen, software, audio, and camera are impressive for this price.

So im currently looking at : HTCu11, Nokia 8, new Pixel 2, and the Sony XZ premium. I'm reluctant to upgrade to the XZ premium because its a bit of a phablet and I don't like big phones. But the 4k hdr screen is tempting.

7. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

I have a Sony Xperia z5 premium. It's a little big, but my phone plan includes unlimited Netflix that doesn't count towards my data usage, so if I'm struggling to stay awake on night shift I have a little 4k tablet to watch.

I had a galaxy s5 before, which I also liked, but I do really like the Sony

8. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

LG X Screen. Pretty much covers all bases. Not much about watching movies on the phone though. Since 2g sims are being phased out, don't think there's a point in buying a flip phone now. Unless pretense+looking cool.

Might try an HTC on for size somewhere down the road.

9. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

It blows my mind how quickly this phones price fell. I have that in the US the Xperia phones don't have fingerprint reader, this is a good device though.

Xperia line is big overseas but here in the US they do very poorly (Terrible Marketing by Sony US) in terms of sales. That being said, they are fantastic devices that are built as well as anything out there.

Never heard of the X Screen before.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

they have FP scanner but its disabled with software due to some issue with verizon contract, but you can enable UK firmware without voiding the warranty which im about to do. I think it dropped in price so much because nobody is buying it haha. Sony has 0 precense here in the USA despite being popular in Europe. A lot of that has to do with not being available on US carriers.

the XZP is a big improvement over the z5p. I would consider getting that its the best xperia device atm.

11. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

I wouldn't doubt it. It's a mid-range hand-set.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  12. sanzfei

sanzfei Night Shift
    Platinum Founder

I've been using the same iPhone 5 for 4 years now. As soon as this one kicks the bucket I am going back to an Android phone now they have surpassed Apple in terms of features and its an open platform.

13. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

I've heard conflicting information about this, I heard that they couldn't do it because in the US another company had a patent where they could bet he only ones to use the fingerprint scanner and power button in one. That excuse never made sense to me though because LG phones for the last couple of years have had it, unless LG is paying that company for the patent? Not sure what the truth is.

Wow, how has that held up? It's hard to get these phones to over 2 years of usage now with the battery drains, durability, etc.

#13 Red_Dragon, Aug 18, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  14. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

His phone has held up because he probably takes care of his phone. Unlike a lot of people who constantly drop their phones etc. I've had an iPhone 4 for quite a few years and it's never had any issues.

Anywho, I'm really happy with my iPhone 7. Didn't bother with the plus because it's too damn big for my hands and pockets.

15. Enies

Enies Famous Member

its not a patent issue also for the reason you mentioned. The contract will expire soon and they'll be able to sell phones properly through US carriers next year. Verizon is such a cancerous company.

i might rule out the htc11 its really dumb move to remove headphone jack from an otherwise great phone. Nokia 8, pixel 2, or XZP for me.

Iphones don't last that long before battery drain issues. And if not, they become extremely laggy after that.

16. Grungie

Contributor

Outside of not being able to change your battery, any smartphone gets laggy after awhile. All these new updates to apps after several years take too much processor power for an old phone to handle. It's like having a really old computer with low specs. I don't think it's fair to criticize a phone line that's guilty of what other phones are just as guilty of.

17. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Are you going to buy the iPhone 8?

Hm, well I truly hope they can do it because that's the one thing that really stops me from buying an Xperia phone, it's hard to live without the Fingerprint sensor when you've had it on multiple phones.

As for the headphone jack, I've owned phones for 12 years and I've never used the headphone jack even once. It's weird, even when I want to run/workout I'll just do it without any distractions. This is weird because in my car I jam out to music, and it feels awkward driving without music it's really odd. I was telling someone recently if they're going to get rid of the headphone jack than put two usb c ports on one phone. At least this way you could still charge your phone while listening to music. I'm pretty sure the motherboard could handle that.

18. Grungie

Contributor

I probably won't buy the iPhone 8. I haven't had my iPhone 7 for even a year yet, so I don't feel the need to buy a new one anytime soon.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  19. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

I use an s7 (don't worry it's not an edge) and I love it

20. Enies

Enies Famous Member

There are two ways to get around that. Buy the international version or you can enable it by installing UK firmware into the phone its supposed to be easy.

i use headphone jack all the time so its a deal breaker for me.