What Kind of Phone Do You Have/Want?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red_Dragon, Aug 17, 2017.

1. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

After I had to turn in my antique Android back to the company (actually, the phone was junk, they just wanted to reassign the number) I had to find something for myself. Since I’ve been using my iPad most of the time now for internet, mail and apps I decided to go with an iPhone 8. It works the same way and syncs up with the iPad to share pretty much everything seamlessly. It can also be found at a reasonable price and should still be supported for quite some time.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  2. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I've been using a Vodafone Smart Ultra 6. I couldn't give a toss about all these iPhones and brand named Androids. The phone has an excellent main camera for a phone of it's price range (220 euro at the time I got it) and does everything I want it to. Okay, it's front facing camera is shite, but I don't have a phone for taking selfies.

Might be time for an upgrade though because the battery isn't what it used to be. I'd still opt for a mid-priced android, so long as it has a good camera and space for my favourite apps.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  3. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

Ive got two phones, a samsung s10e for smartphoning, and I love the flat screen, curved screens are so frustrating tbh. I wish I could give it up, but i need the security token app for work and its like, ugh, why.

and I have an alcatel go flip for when I need to disconnect. I had to upgrade to this one because my alcatel sparq II is losing its 2G connection sometime this year and I didnt want to be stuck with the spotty 3G connection.
    T9 for lyfe!
    [​IMG]

Oh Snape and Shannon Apple like this.
  4. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

My parents have been rocking their iPhone 6’s for quite awhile, and they still work really well. My dad only recently upgraded just because he got a good deal on an 8.

5. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

New iPhone 11 family announced:

6. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

I use an Android S7.
    Honestly, it does the job and I can keep using it until it falls apart. I have never felt the need to upgrade.

7. Crimson

Crimson New Member

Android LGV20.

It has a removable and replaceable battery, and that alone makes it worth it. But it's generally a neat little phone that is more than I need.

I had an HTC10 before and it was fine; but the inevitable battery wear (absolute nightmare to replace) lead me to something better. I always prefer Android. I wouldn't touch anything put out by Apple with a 10 foot pole. I had one experience with an iPhone for one night, and I've never hated dealing with a phone as much in my entire life.

8. Leaf

Leaf Newbie

I have a Note 9~

Red_Dragon likes this.
  9. Mantis

Mantis Newbie

I have a Xiaomi Mi 8. The best phone I've ever owned with the most bang for my buck. Xiaomi is a Chinese manufacturer that make phones and tablets (among other things) that are easily on par with Samsung's offerings. The difference is that they're way cheaper. It cost me £300 when I got it around 14 months ago. (I'd imagine a more recent model would cost similar.)

[​IMG]

Like many, a long time ago I used to get phones on contract. In my opinion it's a complete rip-off as Xiaomi phones are just as good (if not sometimes better than) as Samsung's. Let's take a typical 24-month contract for a Samsung S10. It comes to £841 in total. That's nearly three times as much! Sure, you get calls, messages and data included, but I think that's still overpriced. My phone network is giffgaff. If you have friends or family on the network you can call or text them absolutely free so long as you pay giffgaff once every three months or so. Most people buy "goodybags" rather than just topping up. Here's mine:

[​IMG]

That's incredibly cheap. Since most people I would call or text more regularly are on giffgaff I don't need to use the calls or texts very often. There's plenty available for when I do. 500MB data is also more than enough since I'd only use mobile data for things like text chat (e.g. Skype), forum posting or WhatsApp. (Most of the time I use Wi-Fi anyway.) Since at most I buy a goodybag every other month, that's less than £3 a month. At the end of 24 months I'll have spent less than £372.

I just don't get why so many people spend a fortune on the most established brands when the phones are hardly light years ahead of the competition, locked in a contract as well. Not to mention the annoying customer service that will keep calling you after the contract ends.

And don't get me started on iPhones... :eek: