What made 80's animation so great?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Narilka, Apr 22, 2017.

1. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

I think a fair chunk of it is just nostalgia goggles, but there's also an earnestness that comes along with a lot of these early cartoons. Many of them were the first of their kind, so even if they were made with the sole purpose of selling you toys they felt unique and interesting to our young brains.

There was also the subject matter. It's fair to say that most haven't aged too well and that as you get older their nefarious intentions are way, way more obvious. But I think that since so many of that early stuff was willing tackle difficult subjects without holding back too much it was easier to take them seriously. I'm thinking of stuff like, there's a scene in the G.I. Joes animated movie where Cobra Commander and Serpentor are having an argument and everyone's using this very verbose, heavy language that I, as a wee youngin', didn't really understood. I knew that they were arguing and I knew it was a power struggle but half the shit they said went right over my head. Like, look at this:

That's some pretty dense dialogue for a kids' movie, especially when you watch it in context. The whole thing is so dry, just a room full of people talking and being shits to each other. It's on par with the galactic senate scenes in the Star Wars prequels.

But that dialogue told my young brain that these guys were adults, that what they were talking about was important, and made it easier to compare to real movies with real actors and real plots. Throw in some shockingly graphic violence (a guy gets stabbed in the fuckin' eye later in that movie)(the complete massacre of G1 Transformers in the animated movie)(half of what happened in Watership Down) and you've successfully tricked a child that what they're watching is pretty important and interesting. I remember that movie fondly even though it's a glorious goddamn mess.

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Kt samurai has a point i didn't think about. Or st leadt its led me to think about something that wasn't directly brought up.

These are being turned into movies by the truckload.

So its importance is even more relevant - its the source material.

God i hope they make a Robotech movie. Id like the younger brother of thor to be Rick hunter. Maybe liam neeson could be captain gloval. And jennifer lawrence as lisa :) oh selena gomez as min mei! Oh chris pine as rick hunters older bestbud whose name icant think of right now - the skull captain.

My only strict requirement is that it be produced and directed by everyone who did ghost in the shell. That was as good of a recreation as i could have hoped for in the world we live in now. If they do Robotech id be a happy camper.

3. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

Wasn't thundercats 90s?

Anyway, my favorite cartoons from the 80s when I was a kid were these ones.

1.Smurfs - Probably my favorite early childhood cartoons. While other kids watched things like Mr. Rogers Neighborhood and Seasame Street, I watched the Smurfs.
    2.BeastG.I Joe was another super favorite of mine.
    3. Heman - If you were born in the early to mid 80s and DIDN'T know what Heman was, something be wrong with you!
    4. Real Ghostbusters
    5. Alvin and the Chipmunks - LOVED IT!
    6. Muppet Babies!
    7.Heathcliff
    8. Ducktales
    9.Carebears
    10. Can't remember if Gummy Bears were 80's or 90s. But I loved em!
    11. The little Bits

#23 Shadow Fox, Apr 25, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2017
  4. Narilka

Narilka Destroyer of Worlds
    Staff Member Moderator Platinum Founder

Shadow Fox likes this.
  5. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

Narilka likes this.
  6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

7. Undead

Undead Senior Member

Yoda, Rick's 'big brother' is Roy Fokker, in Robotech. The only character you need to figure out is who will play Kyron. This has to be right. Personally, I'd go with the resurrected, criminally insane, yet charismatic, guy in Gotham.

Each decade has good cartoons but they're always overshadowed by the bad ones. I could list 70s cartoons, but for 80s, how did Voltron not make the list? I even remember the car version. Battle of the Planets/G-Force? Dungeons & Dragons?
    And then there's the crap. If you thought Care Bears was bad, I submit to you Rainbow Bright. Jem was a disaster that was finally laid to rest after that absolutely horrible movie was released a few years ago.
    Of course, there is the question that bugs me to this day....if I had all that time as a kid, how was I able to watch all those cartoons if I spent every waking moment in the arcade?

8. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

The question of our time!

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks undead!

I dont know how we beat games without save points :D though i only finished a few that way.

10. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I think a lot of it is nostalgia to be honest. In 10-15 years time, the kids today are going to be going on about how great the cartoons of this decade were. Okay, 80s cartoons were certainly better than some of the CGI muck on TV today. Many of them still hold a big place in my heart.

My favourite cartoon was Gargoyles when I was a kid, but that was released in the early 90's. XD.

I vaguely remember She-ra from the 80s. I was only 5 or 6 when that finished airing so my recollection is very vague. I loved her though, she was like this girl power role-model for me, even at such a young age. My mom kinda helped with that though haha.

11. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

That double loop of the dogs barking. Genius. Remember reading the Alexander Dumas book and thinking 'this guys a freakin plagiarist......'

I'll have to watch this sometime. Used to be great then went to complete crap if I recall correctly.

12. WubbaLubbaDubDub

WubbaLubbaDubDub Well-Known Member
    Contributor Gold Founder

One thing that isn't really accounted for is that only the good memorable shit lives the test of time. Like, we only remember the really awesome shows from the past and you forget about all this shitty stuff because no one is really talking about it and it doesn't get picked up by other networks to keep showing the reruns.

This happens with everything; books, anime, music, you name it. About 60% of everything is garbage, 20% is cool stuff that lives the test of time, and the remaining 20% of stuff is legendary.

By legendary stuff I mean Adventure Time and Avatar the Last Airbender (I think we can all agree based off of sales statistics and fandoms that those two are vastly successful and "legendary" shows that will still be popular for decades to come).

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@WubbaLubbaDubDub

I would dispute your percantages but your point is well made.

Cult stuff is the only exception. Offbeat stuff like max headroom and things like that. Small vocal fan bases can skew the nostalgia clock a bit.

14. Harlequinn

Harlequinn Edgy Teenager
    Staff Advisory Silver Founder Plus

All the aerosols in the air gave everyone debilitating lung disease.

Faced with the prospects of their own impending mortality, they knew they had to create something great so that following generations would have something to remember them by. A tragic fate.

Oh Snape and Narilka like this.