What makes a good horror movie?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Enies, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I have a bit of a bias against horror movies because it's one of my least favorite genres (next to comedy).There isn't a compelling story and too many rely on cheap shock value like jump scares, or overly cliche stories/ideas. And since I suppose the purpose is to evoke shock and negative feelings.

But I'm not 10 years old anymore so horror movies don't scare me..they don't make me crawl under my blanket in fear or get paranoid after watching it like it use to. So what exactly is it supposed to do for me? Disturb me? I haven't really found anything that has moved me in any ways.

Watched V/H/S tapes recently over a friends. It was okay. I recommended watching The Descent since I've heard it's a classic in horror, but my friends wanted to watch the vhs tapes instead. I ended up watching The Descent on my own. I have to say I was a bit wary of its praise, but i was suprised at how good it was d I'd say. Definitely pulled the rug under me more than once on what I was expecting out of a horror movie, so that was a pleasant surprise.

any recommendations? bonus if it's on netflix.

#1 Enies, Jul 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  2. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Sometimes, people just like those negative emotions. I get what you're saying, honestly, I can't give you much of a reason. I don't even really find myself scared, so it's extremely tough for me personally to figure out how to explain it.

As for Recommendations, sticking to Netflix:

Odd Thomas
    Oh man, I'm editing this in late, but I can't believe I forgot about this! Odd Thomas, based on the novel of the same name by Dean Koontz, it's a Strange one to describe. Forgive the pun, this is a supernatural thriller, it's got some light, very solid, comedy. The description will absolutely not do it justice. There's definitely an element of horror in some of the central characters, and it's all very well refined. The star, Anton Yelchin, unfortunately passed away very recently, the film is a great showcase of his acting ability. It's one of the best films I've ever seen on Netflix, and you should absolutely give it a watch, it gets my absolute highest recommendation.

Pontypool
    This film is flat out awesome. Think of the public reaction that was caused by The War of the Worlds' radio broadcast, replace the aliens with a virus, and shift that into a narrative told exclusively by the radio personality of a small town and his crew. Set it almost exclusively in his studio, and you have a helluva horror film, that builds a genuine crisis without having to cheap out with jump-scares in the opening minutes. It wouldn't be unjustified to say that Pontypool is more Drama than horror, but I feel that for it's quality and innovation of sorts, that it most definitely deserves the recommendation.

Housebound
    A woman is sentenced to house arrest at her parents house, her mother believes the house is haunted. The setup is alright, but the real meat of the film comes with how it builds to an overarching mystery with the house as the center piece, and it actually turns out to have a pretty interesting story going for it. The heroine ends up getting quite well developing through the goings-on, and the film, once it gets rolling, is engaging until the credits roll.

The Faculty
    This a quirky, cheesy, horror... Thing. The Thing is a pretty good comparison, albeit with Faculty's much lighter tone. Basically, some of the staff at a high school start acting strange, I really don't feel the need to go much further than that. The cast is great, and I'd be more than willing to argue it captures that Teen in a Horror Flick market much better than most of the films going around when it came out in the mid-nineties. It's a Robert Rodriguez (Sin City, From Dusk till Dawn) film, and a pretty good one by that metric, given that he also directed Spy Kids. It might not set your world on fire, but it's an alright watch.

I'm actually just kind of pumped up after writing about Odd Thomas and Pontypool, which I moved to the top they're that damn good, and now I just want to watch some horror films, most of which will almost definitely pail in comparison, but thems the breaks. I'll maybe report back with some more! :D

#2 Novaire, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

For horror movies to be a hit I think it definitely needs tight tight direction. I've seen a handful of horror movies that begin well but lose its way. Secondly the setting and how well its used. Its actually a plus when the setting is quite unique (many indie movies venture this way). And finally that special trick which usually comes at the end.

I feel many horror movies these days are caught up in the same mundane formula.

Anyway, enough noob observations. Let's get down to recommendations.

The first set of recommendations aren't the usual horror movies you'd expect. The merit lies in the story rather than the scares.

The Woman In Black (2012)

Hey look, its Daniel Radcliffe without his wand. The Woman In Black depicts the story of a widowed lawyer (Radcliffe) assigned to travel to a village to examine a house that belonged to a recently deceased woman. When he arrives he finds that the house holds something even more frightening than paperwork. Its (not so faithfully) adapted from Susan Hills' traditional gothic horror novella (1983) of the same name.

An English farm setting from the 1900s really does set the mood for an almost romantic horror movie. Highly recommend this for its direction and bringing something different to the table.

El Orfanato (The Orphanage) 2007

Laura (Belén Rueda) has happy memories of her childhood in an orphanage. She convinces her husband to buy the place and help her convert it into a home for sick children. One day, her own adopted son, Simón (Roger Príncep), disappears. Simon is critically ill, and when he is still missing several months later, he is presumed dead. Grief-stricken Laura believes she hears spirits, who may or may not be trying to help her find the boy.

Another well rehearsed, decent entry into the list of psychological horror, this Spanish movie might feel pretty dry at times as far as horror movies go. But a decent watch nonetheless.

The Others 2001

Wait, this isn't even a horror movie. No of course it it.

Grace moves into a new house with her two photosensitive children in Jersey. When a series of inexplicable events occur, Grace starts believing that her house is haunted.

Think this was my second Nicole Kidman movie. Oh wait, I've only seen two Kidman movies anyway.

This one's got a pretty quirky twist. Decent acting all round. If you have a penchant for stylishly directed, slow burning movies, this will not bore you.

Some recent movies I'll be looking into:

So these are some of the movies I haven't got around to watching yet but if you find them interesting do give a look-see

It Follows 2014:

Sounds shit but feels promising enough to waste 2 hours on.

The Witch 2015

This is the one I'll be jumping straight into this weekend.

Also think that the lead actor is a goat. I mean finally.

Blast from the past

Häxan: Witchcraft Through The Ages-1922. Just put on some doom metal and watch this.

Time for some mainstream suggestions

Nothing to mention here I guess. Conjuring, Sinister, Insidious, Paranormal Activity, The Exorcist, The Omen and other shit.

Remember, never make the mistake of watching Nec....ahem never mind.

Goddamn you Roman Polanski and Catherine Deneuve!! Goddamn you.

4. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

The descent was decent actually, at least until they showed what was following them. The suspense and claustrophobia in the beginning of that movie was great.

I basically leave the ending out of my decision on whether I like a horror movie or not. 9.5 times out of 10 a horror movie has an underwhelming ending, but as long as it's good for most of it, I'm happy.

Going to see lights out tomorrow, hoping it'll be okay.

I'll second the orphanage, the one @Kuze recommended. Guillermo del Toro movie... less horror, more suspense, but a good movie with an interesting plot.

Wasn't a fan of It Follows though.

(STOP MENTIONING "THAT" MOVIE, @Kuze !!!!)

On netflix at the moment in Australia we have Hush on there. Watched it last week. General stalker/slasher horror but found it to be a really good watch. Maybe give that a go. Not sure if you have the same but a few I can see on netflix worth a look (not really sure what type you're looking for):

- sinister
    - the babadook
    - haunting in Connecticut (ghosts/supposedly based on a true story)
    - the loved ones (kind of an interesting one if youre looking for something a bit different. More torture thriller I guess but I found it pretty watchable)

5. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

I always try not to but snoozy miss goody two shoes here always pops up from my basement and reminds me to. T_______T

[​IMG][​IMG]

Ahem...I think I'll indulge myself to some shitty Thai horror movie now.

6. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

@Kuze It Follows is pretty good. Simple and doesn't explain much, but it's pretty creepy, and has some good cinematography and music too. I recommend it.

What makes a good horror movie is difficult to pin down. A story simple enough to be scary to enough a wide range of people, believable dialogue and actors, an unflinching portrayal of brutal violence (depending on the type of horror), a talented build up of tension and knowing when to let it burst, ATMOSPHERE, and being made by the French usually helps too.

Kuze likes this.
  7. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

8. Enies

Enies Famous Member

@Struggler but that's the thing, I don't find horror movies scary so what am I supposed to get out of them. Movies don't scare me, they disturb me. But I suppose that's what I'm looking for, something that will disturb me or creep me out.

@Scruffie yeah I really liked The Descent. I didn't expect much out of it, I don't go by hype, so It was a pleasant suprirse. Once you find out what is done there (unless you've read the description) you pretty loose the suspsnese, But it does a fine job even after that, and it definitely has a claustrophobic atmosphere to it. It puled a few curve balls here and there, but the ending is definitely what surprised me. Granted it's like a decade old there is probably better stuff now. But I'll rank it up there. I didn't expect to be scared.

kuze the witch was on my list as well as let the right one in. but I'm going with the witch since it's a recent movie. Reminds me a bit of the excoricst. I don't really like the more mainstream movies they are simply shock value. But then again taht describes the majority of the movies in this genre.

Oh snap exactly. In the same way I don't really like most comedy movies. I'd rather watch a movie that's just funny without it being centered around that.

I'd like to know what movie could stays under me for days. Do you crawl under your blanket?

#8 Enies, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  9. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

What? No, I leave the night light on.

And Martyrs. PS - don't come crying to me of its 5hardcore9u. Or actually, do, so I can laugh at you. I think I've seen every Japanes horror movie worth seeing. Read - circa 2005 lol. Ring movies, Dark Water, Kiaro, Audition, Blind Beast. Oh and The Eye is best Thai horror. Especially the first half. Pang Brothers were in god mode back then.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

I've seen the audition. I think if anyone can weird me it's takashii mike. Shit started off like a normal movie until it hit the fan. Ring movies aren't even scary man that's for noobs. The witch is on my next to watch list. I'll check the rest depending on which are interesting. Japanese horror is bound to be weird. Might check out uzumaki. But if it's on netflix it's cool to watch with a group.

11. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

Uzumaki is a hilariously inventive movie. Not really scary but defo worth checking. The manga is way creepier.

And m8, Ring is awesome. Think I'll watch the Babadook next.

12. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Babadook was good too. No cheap jupscares just straight up psychological/creepy stuff.

Dude I'd like to know what kind of movie is actually scary thats why I made this thread. Who finds movie scary unless you're like ten years old. Movies can creep me out or disturb me. So i'm basically trying to watch something that will disturb me enough to have it under my skin for a few days.

13. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Is Breaking Down

A good horror starts off with a solid, compelling story. A story that, even if it had no horror elements, would still be good on it's own merits. A jump scare every now and again isn't too bad. But depending on them ruins the mood. A good horror should build suspense and a sense of dread. Messing with the viewers perceptions and toying with their minds can be used as well very effectively. Overall, most films go for the jump scares or gore, but that's an easy way out. It's like going for a C or a D on a paper because it'll still mean you pass rather than trying to get a B or strive for that A.

14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Haha I remember seeing the regional (Bollywood) remake of this movie when I was 10. Scared the daylights outta me. Need to watch the original though.

South-East Asian movies pretty much hits the nail when it comes to being awkward or creeping you out momentarily (usually they involve children).

How about A Tale of Two Sisters.

#14 Kuze, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  15. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

Saw lights out today.

Don't bother.

But check out the short film it was based on:

Unfortunately didn't live up to the hype.

The teenage girls screaming through it in the cinema and the douche knuckle that said "awwww hell nah!" everytime somethibg happened did nothing to help the experience lol

16. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

YUS! The official YouTube channel for the creator of this is ponysmasher btw. The ending of this vid was so fun.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ponysmasher/videos

Unfortunately I haven't checked any more of his videos. There's this video on the playlist titled Pictured.