What TV Do You Have/Want?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Red_Dragon, Jun 24, 2017.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I figured I'd make one of these since one of our threads ended up getting derailed about TV's, lol.

What TV Model/Setup do you use? What are you looking to get?

I currently use a Sony Bravia 4K XBR850B, unfortunately the TV recently got a giant vertical green line through it (On the right side) so I'm looking at picking something else up soon, got a lot of things on my list.

2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

Sony Bravia of different inches in every goddamn room. Go Sony or go to "your not so favorite dealer with not as good price cuts"

3. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

I have this 10 years-old hand-me-down 720p plasma screen TV from my dad's deceased client. I want a CRT for my Game Cube and Smash Bros. Melee.

Red_Dragon likes this.
  4. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

I have a 75 inch Samsung F8000 that I bought in 2013. I have it setup in my game room. I love it. Great for watching anime as well as playing games on the PS4.

I would love to get a 75 inch OLED TV one day once it is more reasonable in terms of cost.

In my autosignature, you can see my setup.

5. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I had a massive list I made for Christmas sales but....I just heard bad things from people who owned them/reviews. Like they go to shit after 2-3 years. I know they don't make them like they used to but hell no to that. I expect 1 year of use for every 100 I drop.

I'm mostly using my laptop but I'll eventually start watching sports again and then I'll need to go big. I want 4k and decent on-board sound, dolby 5:1 minimum. And a really cool remote that lasts a while.

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

i have an almost decade old LG LCD tv with thick ass bezels.

Want the Sony bravia x900e or 930e. Z9d would be preferable but its like a 5 thousand dollar tv.

7. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

Rumor has it that Smash Bros Melee is supposed to come remastered for the Switch at some point, I would love that.

By 2020 I think these thing's will be the same price as midranged TV's now, we'll see.

What type of gaming Laptop are you using?

For some reason those older Thick bezel TV's lasted a long time. Not sure if it had to to do with more airflow in the rear or what.

8. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I'm just going to list the ones situated in my room, as I can't be bothered to look up model numbers for every television in the house. I know we purchased a curved Samsung model semi-recently, but I'm not sure which edition it was. Looking at the site, I'm fairly confident that it was the MU8500 or the MU7500, but it's mounted and I can't remember what the stand looked like.

I prefer a smaller screen for my purposes, as I find larger displays inhibitive for gaming. I use an ASUS VS247H-P (23.6 inch) monitor for my modern consoles and my computer. I have two of them, as well as an older AOC monitor hooked up to my PC via HDMI and DVI.

I also have a fairly large collection of older machines without an HDMI output and for those, I have a Mitsubishi WD-65735 (65-inch) television. It also supports HDMI, so I leave my last-gen consoles plugged up over there most of the time. If we had any other use for it, I wouldn't have it in here, because it is a monolith, but seeing as it was just sitting in the garage doing nothing, I figured I might as well bring it in.

Edit: Oh, I forgot about one thing, it's not a TV, but where else am I gonna talk about a projector on here? Out in the garage, which we don't use as such, we have an Optoma EH200ST . I don't know the exact specifications of the projection screen we use, but it's probably about 80 inches or so. It's mainly used for watching movies on Blu Ray, but it's also a pretty great setting for playing Rock Band.

#8 Novaire, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  9. StrawHats

StrawHats Stuck in a chair
    Staff Member Moderator Founder

I don't know anything about Nintendo's Switch nor do I care for it, but it better be compatible with CRT's.

10. Red_Dragon

Platinum Founder

This is you

[​IMG]

Novaire likes this.
  11. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Sony z9d is the best TV in the world. whats the quality like on all of your bravia tvs and have they lasted a long time with no issues?

LCD in general last a long time.

12. zoldos

zoldos Newbie

We have a nice Vizio like 32" I think it is. It's only 720p tho. I saw a 55" 1080p Smart TV for like $400. I want that!!!! hehehe

13. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

They're fairly new, 2-3 years old, and are of the KLV series. Quality is pretty good I'd say.

14. tripplej

No matter the TV you decide to get, ensure the store has a proper return policy. For example, recently, I wanted to get a small tv for the workout area and after looking at various reviews, etc, I decided to go with a Samsung. I went to costco and they had the lowest price so went ahead and purchased it. Not even a month goes by and all of a sudden a blue line shows up in the middle of the screen. No matter what input you have, the blue line was there. It would not go away. I returned the TV. I then looked around Costco and the only other brand they had was a Vizio which I didn't think too much on earlier but since it was the only one in the price range and the size that I wanted, I decided to get that one. Surprise Surprise, it is now several months past now and that TV is great. It has great wi-fi and no issues so far.. So, you never know. The only stores in my area that has a long return policy on TV are Costco and Target so If I purchase one, I get it from there. Otherwise, I would get an extended warranty.

15. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

I have had a couple of different TV's in my time.

My first big TV was a 50" Vizio Plasma and it lasted for well over 10 years. Then I got a Panasonic 52" LCD TV which is still working today with no loss in quality.

My Current TV is a 47" (I think) Samsung 4K LED SmartTV. I mainly got this cause I found it as is for $300 so I couldn't really pass up the price. And the quality is okayish. I don't really watch a lot of TV on it. Since I am usually working on my house.

But I would love to get a Sony TV since I have a Playstation. One day maybe.

zoldos likes this.
  16. zoldos

zoldos Newbie

Yes I like Vizio. Never had a problem with ours. Probably get a 55" one of the days. :)

17. tripplej

Yeah, I never really thought much about Vizio. I thought they were just cheap tv's. Nothing special.

But now, I have changed my mind..

The samsung which had high reviews when compared to the Vizio failed miserably for me. Besides the blue line that showed up, the Samsung was not able to get as many "free" channels as the Vizio via OTA (over the air) reception and the Samsung was not able to get a good reliable wifi connection while the Vizio had no issues.

Yeah, next time, I will definitely look more into Vizio as well if I need another tv.

zoldos likes this.
  18. zoldos

zoldos Newbie

I want a "Quantum Dot" TV. hehehe

19. Grungie

Grungie Established Member
    Contributor

I do wish my TV was a bit bigger for my living room, and my TV is too old for me to turn off the overscan for some of my game consoles. Kind of annoying when the edges are cut off, and I can't do anything about it.

20. zoldos

zoldos Newbie

I want like a 55" for the living room and then move the old one into the bedroom. They are very cheap! I saw a really nice 55" for $400!