What tv show are you currently watching?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Kerberos, Sep 9, 2016.

1. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

@Dunn x Dolo
    It's Marvel's continual trend of being racially sensitive and inclusive.
    Luke Cage is historically a "black superhero", but they upped the ghetto on it because it "flavors" it differently from any other material they have. I mean, it's kinda dumb that they went that route, but I can understand that giving it a unique appeal was risky and that it kind of paid off.

If they wanted a more racial character that is more widely accepted, they should've gone with Miles Morales for their Spider-man reboot instead of retreading Peter Parker. Most critics and fans agree with that assessment, even though Tom Holland did a great job in Civil War.

It's also kind of weird they did what they did with Luke Cage considering that Iron Fist didn't quite hit the same notes with an Asian actor, but I guess it makes total sense given that Iron Fist is a white boy in an Asian setting.

But whatever!
    I'm not that bothered by the casting or directive choices as long as the material is good.

I'm totally stoked on seeing a 3rd season of Dare Devil considering the cliffhanger they ended on!
    It's a damn shame that we probably won't see the results of that until The Defenders next year and Dare Devil Season 3 is slated for 2018.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  2. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Started Luck Cage over the weekend. And truthfully tho @Dunn x Dolo she has been the only cameo so far in each series. DD, JJ, LC, and probably will be in IF as well. Which the actor looks a little less like the Danny I was picturing. Oh well I guess we shall see the first trailer came out for Iron Fist which looks allright. He broke a big metal door.

Aside from that Netflix Series I am watching:

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
    New Girl

Excited for the series collab this week.

3. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

All superhero shit has become liberal propaganda, it's to be expected at this point.

4. Chloe

Chloe [adult swim]

Right now I'm watching Containment on Netflix, and it's pretty good so far. Realistic representation of a crisis situation.

5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Travelers
    [​IMG]
    Time travel fiction seems to be the new hype around tv. And not just in anime. Last year we had the tv-show version of Twelve Monkeys and this year we have no less than three different time travel shows. All very different from one another. First of all the movie verion of Frequency, second the very pulpy (and imo not very good) Timeless and lastly: Travelers. This Canadian sci fi drama thriller came to be as a collaboration between Netflix and the Canadian channel Showcase. From the get go though t's very obvious that this is a much more gritty and realistic take on time travel stories. In the first five minutes we see a intellectually disabled woman being mercilessly beaten death by a group of punks, a college student die from a drugoverdose, a single mom being savagely beaten by her own husband and a highschooler take one too many unches in an underground cagematch. All four die soon after but then all four come back to life. What connects these four and how does it tie to the theme of timetravel? Well you're just gonna have to watch and find out because to say any more would be spoilering and I don't do that.

Suffice to say the show has a very intriguing premise with tons of potential for quality storytellign which so far it seems to utilise quite well. The show does seem to have some sort of procedural format with each episode so far revolving around one particular incident but it's obvious from the very start that all these incidents tie back into a much larger plot. Moreover a large chunk of the series is dedicated to the main characters and how they deal with the massive changes in their daily lives as well as how they have to try and keep their secrets hidden from those around them. The series certainly doesn't shy away from discussing more difficult social and ethical issues has a very mature and nuanced tone that you really don't see too often in Canadian sci fi shows.

My only problem with the show so far has to do with the characters themselves because due to reasons I won't spoil it takes quite a while for you to really get to know them. However the show does try its very ahrdest to make you get some feeling for them and what they're like as early as possible without havign them spout tons of exposition and thereby needlessly suspending disbelief so it gets points for that.

Visually it's fairly unremarkable. You can see the show has a decent budget but it's nowhere near the level of the average cable drama in terms of visual aesthetic. However there are certain touches I do quite like such as the fidelity to realism when it comes to injuries. The highschooler who gets two black eyes at the start of episdoe 1 still has them by episode 3 and the woman who gets beaten by punks suffers a pretty nasty gash on her forehead that she still ahs by episode 3 as well. Wounds, both pysical and mental don't heal overnight and the show understands that. Problems that characters encounter in episode they will still be struggling with by episode 3 so its nice the visuals reflect that.

The acting performances too are terriffic across the board. Though I will admit I head to get used to Eric McCormack who plays an FBI agent investigating these strange incidents and the people involved in them. I only know McCormack from the (so so) comedy series Will and Grace so it took some getting used to seeing him in such a different role. But he's great in it, proving how versatile an actor he is.

All in all I'd say this is shpaing up to be one fo the better shows of 2016. A high concept sc fi show with lots of big ideas and cool concepts that it manages to form into a cohesive and engaging narrative. So far at least. If you're into sci fi with a bit of realism and depth to it I'd certainly recommend checking this series out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Oh Snape likes this.
  6. JennyorAlice

JennyorAlice Senior Member

I've been watching a marathon of the "Haunted Collector" on tv today. There hasn't been much of anything to watch on tv today so I've been watching all these episodes they're showing on tv.

7. Zangetsu

Zangetsu Inner Demon

i am watching these 2 shows currently
    superstore is freaking hilarious especially since it reminded me of when i worked at walmart

the X-files came out when i was a kid never got to watch it

also scrubs

i cant wait for the new star trek series :)

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Oh man! That takes me back. Being a high school drop out and not doing anything the whole day except binging on X Files with a big bowl of popcorn for like three months on end.

Good times. (well no not really but that bit was fun)

Have fun! The show is really good. Esecially seasons 1 - 5. Season 6 and 7 are also good. From there it kinda goes downhill. But season 10 which recently aired was quite decent as well.

Also don't forget the movies. They're both awesome.

9. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Wow! Travelers is actually turning out to be quite an awesome show! Eps 4 - 6 really picked up the pace and started building on the overarching narative climaxing in a big event at the end of eps6. Because of this in ep7 the pace slowed way down and really nothing important happend until like the final minute. But you know what? It was the best episode of the show so far.

I love how the characters grow and develop over the course of the series. And not just the mains. Several side characters were innitially introduced to be rotten apples but were slowly seeing a more friendlier side to them and vice versa. It's interesting to see how the mains all live ut theeir own lives outside of the one thing they all have in common and the way their relationships with the people in their individual lives develop for better or worse.

Travelers may not have the production quality of an HBO show and maybe not quite the writing quality yet either but it's certainly engrossing television. Well crafted and well executed. I'd say by this point I'd call it a must watch for any sci fi fan and maybe something I'd also recommend to fans of tv-shows in general.

This is quite the hidden gem! :)

10. V0ID

V0ID GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN, YOU DAMN KIDS!!

I gotta break in to the thread just to say I love your Golgo sig image :) That put a smile on my face.

Dunn x Dolo likes this.
  11. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Finally dipping my feet into the dc live action pool. Picked up season one of supergirl, flash, and legends of tomorrow at best buy fof ten bucks each back on black Friday and I'm almost done with supergirl. Not bad, had a bit of a rocky start but it seemed to find its stride 2 or 3 episodes in. Haven't touched flash or lot yet but i can't wait to check those out either

12. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So...I tried (tried being the oprative word) to watch Iron Fist today. I really hate superhero fiction but I quite enjoyed Jessica Jones and this didn't have some silly outfit or a rumb macho guy (yes I;m looking at you Luke Cage) in it so i figured I'd give it a go.

Big mistake

I cannot even begin to descrie verything that is wrong with this show. It's not just incredibly cliché and generic, it's worse. it is genuinely bad and harmful. The blatant misrepresentation of Asian culture and martial arts specifically is appauling. (let me tell you Ki is a wonderful thing but it does not give you superpowers, it really doesn't, no matter how hard you train) And the way the protagonist and antagonists are shaped are clearly pandering to the lowest common denominator. And as dumb as the plot and characters are what's even more infuriating is how it oversimplifies entire cultures with the Asian community in America being depicted as little more than some Ninja clans duking it out. It has none of the complexity or noirish atmosphere that made me enjoy Jessica Jones and honestly the whole thing just feels like a very poorly written remake of Batman Begins.

Honestly this show makes Bleach look good.

Usually with a show like this I'd say something like "you might enjoy it more than I did if you're into superhero stuff" but honestly this show is just plain bad and it might be harmful in the long run. I hope it gets cancalled and soon.

On the other hand The Expanse continues to blow me away with it's highly intelligent, nuanced writing that's not just rife with subtle social commentary and philosophical pondering but always manages to get you more and more hype with each episode. The show has this wonderful way of always building on top of itself with ever increasing stakes and ever more epic spacebattles while never loosing sight of the characterdrama and worldbuilding that's at the core of this series. American TV needs more shows like The Expanse.

13. Interest1ng

Well we can all take your word for the Iron Fist being garbage given the amount of Animu you review. And just about every damn Anime that has Ki in it gives you superpowers. Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo yeah.

14. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Would it surprise you to learn I also watch a ton of live action tv-shows and have a degree in screenwriting? :)

15. Interest1ng

Nope. But regardless of your accolades which I won't discredit that is pretty cool. You still said that having Ki does not give you superpowers. Which is a flawed statement.

16. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Well I practice Aikido which has a pretty heavy emphasis on Ki (it's right there in the title) and I've never experienced, seen or heard of any kind of superpowers as seen in this show. Ki is kind of a magical thing but it's a lot more subtle than what you see in this show.

Either way if you like the show than that's fine. I don't write this stuff to convince people who like the show to stop liking it. It's more of a gentle warning to people who are on the fence about watching it.

17. Interest1ng

Well what I mean is. Iron Fist is a work of fiction so it should not be held in the regard that if you do this in real life you will gain these abilities. Plus Aikido is just Kendo without the stick, and the purpose of it is to use the force of the enemy not the inner force of oneself.

18. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Well yes and no but this isn't a martial arts forum so let's drop the subject. I agree that in terms of just it's misrepresentation of martial arts Iron Fist is no worse than say your average battle shonen (that comparison I made with Bleach wasn't to promote Bleach let me tell you that) but it's evrything else I mentioned that ultimately imo makes it a very bad show in many ways.

But like I said I'm not here to spoil your fun. It's my opinion and you're always entitled to your own.

19. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

I'm on a Sons Of Anarchy binge. Like a car accident. You shouldn't look but you can't rsist a glimpse.

3 seasons in. Its awfully awesome.

20. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Death note 2015 live tv show adaptation.

I thought it'd hate it but its actually fairly decent for what it is. i think they could have done a bit more things to make this show more serious and less wacky. The original is more suspenseful I think its just some of the acting and the wimpiness of LIght that kind of throws me off. L's character also doesn't really work much in live either. but once you get over it you get a fairly good suspense drama. But i don't like the fact that light is kind of wimpy he is definitely smarter in the show and more calculative/cold.

Still not bad and enjoyable.