What was the last anime you completed?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by J4sm1n4, May 23, 2016.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thats the alternate world war 1 with the guy that got reincarnated right? That was really weird. It was strangely captivating though. Trying to figure out where they were trying to go was interesting.

Whens the next season coming?

2. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

No idea. I'm not sure if I'll be interested in season 2, I'll probably see what other people say about it first.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

It sure is out there. Hopefully theyd give some firm answers on the main antoganists.

4. Takera

Takera Newbie

Mahoutsukai no Yome. 10/10 would recommend. very pretty visuals and nice sobbing story line with lots of feels.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I popped in my madako magica rebellion bluray to watch the mami homura fight again and ended up watching the rest of the movie. Its been quite a while since ive watched it beyond the fight and longer still since i watched the series itself.

Man the movie is super trippy. But the series is so good. I forgot how good all of it, the voice acting, the art, the music et al.

Oh by the way it was an import. I think they made a western release but i couldn't wait :D

6. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

My problem with the movie is
    homura just seems to go nuts for no reason towards the end and basically rips madoka in two. I mean it seemed kinda random to me but atleast everything seemingly works out in the end but that part is still a head scratcher for me

7. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I felt the movie is very style over substance. Though tbf I feel that way about all of Madoka Magica.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I can see the confusion. But i think the whole thing is about
    losing what you are to protect what you care about most. Just like batman if you think about. Bruce wayne sacrifices any semblance of a personal life to protect gotham while never being able to enjoy his own life. In the end homura gives it all up to protect madoka but also warps madoka in the process

And i cant argue with you there Kerberos. Sometimes i feel the same way about noir. Even though i like it a lot its almost too moody for its own good. Maybe stylized is a better word. But its still good. Its just sometimes youd like it to be a little less atmospheric and a little more "normal" in presentation.

9. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Honestly i don't mind a bit of flair and flash as long as the story doesn't suffer and the series i think did that but the movie tried to overstepped itself and kinda stumbled. It was able to save itself though and pulled off a satisfying ending i think but i can't help to think that it would've been better if it hadnt've overstepped itself

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

its a bit of sequilitis i think too. Not that its bad as in just more of the same. its just that with sequilitis you tend to say "oh i have way more money this time so lets just go crazy" without necessarily thinking if its a good thing. but like you said its still solid.

11. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

I personally feel the series was very style over substance as well. It tried to present itself as something new and revolutionary but when you looked past the slightly out of the ordinary visuals and slightly darker storyline it was an awfully formulaic and cliche Magical Girl story.

By comparisson I felt Akiyuki Shinbou did a far better job with the Monogatari franchise. Giving us a visual style that at the time was completewly new and unique and since no anime has succesfully managed to copy. As well as telling a very thematically complex story with incredibly well wrought and compellign characters that somehow still managed to masquerade itself perfectly as a trashy harem anime.

Madioka Magica is definitally the more accessible of the two and more instantly gratifying but the Monogatari franchise, while harder to get into, is far more rewarding, thought provoking and memorable in the long run. For me it's the difference between a show that's entertaining in the moment but I can scarcely remember a year later and one that actually sticks with me for a long time.

Edit: also, needless to say Shinbou did a great job with March Comes in Like a Lion but I feel the brilliance is also, to a large extend, down to Chica Umino's phenomenal original work.

12. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

On the subject of Shaft things, I finished Fate/Extra: Last Encore

As a less action-oriented, more introspective take on the Fate formula, I can see why it hasn't been the most popular anime entry into the franchise, but I really enjoyed this one.

With the obstruse dialogue, quirky camera angles and weird, empty world design, it does feel like Shaft are making Fate/Monogatari, yet, I think it works. There's a much more sci-fi oriented slant on the material here, and I think the oddball stylistic devices fit well as a conduit for its meditation on transhumanist notions of artificially stored consciousness and the effect on the psyche of passing time far in excess of any human lifespan.

The way it glosses over one of the in-world game's stages felt a bit off, but my only real complaint would be that it fails to muster a solid conclusion at the end. Hopefully the forthcoming tv special will provide just that.

13. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I've just finished Hinamatsuri. It was really entertaining, funny, and well... hilarious even.

I'm struggling between a 9 and a 10. I'll give it a 9 for now, but I might change my mind later on, for the better, it's not going down.

This is the kind of show Nichijou was supposed to be. Instead I had to put Nichijou on hold because I started to get bored of it. No such thing with this show though. Let's go season 2!

Kerberos likes this.
  14. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished the older version of Kino no Tabi, I loved it.

Kerberos likes this.
  15. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished the new Kino, I would be disappointed if I didn't expect it.

16. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Watched the first Gall Force movie a few nights ago.

The space-set story of two warring races vying for control of an uninhabited planet, it's quite derivative (borrows heavily from Alien especially) and I don't think it's aged as well as Space Adventure Cobra or Dirty Pair, but it's a fun little b-picture with some interesting ideas - particularly liked how it plays with the then-current cold war fears of mutually assured destruction.

17. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I completed Watamote, I liked it, and I already binged the manga, I'll continue following it.

18. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

I finished up Cromartie High School and have to say its been a while since I had an anime make me laugh so hard. Its definitely funny as hell.

I also finished Beyond the Boundary. Was pretty decent and had some funny moments as well. Sucked it was only 13 episodes though.

19. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Black Jack: The Movie (1996)

This brooding, gothic outing for Osamu Tezuka's iconic surgeon sees him drawn into the case of top ranked athletes whose bodies are suddenly failing them, in the most horrific fashion possible. Although a little more realistic than usual, the film's straight faced approach to even its most fantastical plot developments, mixed with Black Jack's typically intense melodrama, makes for a wonderfully over the top thriller, boasting a tough, well-fleshed out antagonist in the form of a femme fatale-like medical researcher. The film's increasingly bonkers storytelling is also matched shot for shot with director Osamu Dezaki's signature tricksy cinematography, throwing every weird flourish in his considerable arsenal at the screen, all wrapped up in an anachronistically noirish package that makes the end result like the anime equivalent of a Tim Burton Batman movie.

The film loses its way slightly in the final reel, with a slightly pedestrian conclusion, not helped by a shoehorned in last-minute environmental message, but as a big fan of Dezaki's earlier work on Cobra and Golgo 13, I absolutely loved this. I can guarantee it's the only time you'll see a villain's lair stormed by a private army of ethically sound doctors.

20. FallingStar

FallingStar Newbie

Just finished watching Shomin Sample. I'm reading the manga now.