What was the last anime you completed?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by J4sm1n4, May 23, 2016.

1. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished watching Trigun.

2. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Is that similar to gungrave? I thought i remembered seeing that mentioned when i brought up gg. If it is ill add it to my list.

3. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Didn't watch Gungrave so I can't say.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks.

5. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Haven't seen either but the original author of Trigun did work on the original Gungrave video game that the anime is based on so I'd say...yes?

Also if you want to see more stuff from the same guy: go watch Blood Blockade Battlefront. Based on another one of his manga and easily one of my favourite shonen action series.

6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Cool :) ill have to add it.

7. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Watched Trigun a couple months back and just yesterday started watching Gungrave. So I might have some input for you in a couple of weeks.

yoda313 likes this.
  8. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

@yoda313

Finished Gungrave and gotta say it's a bit similar to Trigun, in the sense that two primary characters are at odds with each other even though they're related by blood or friendship. In the case of Gungrave it's Harry and Brandon and for Trigun, well it's the main character Vash and someone else I can't name cause it'd be stepping on to spoiler territory. And obviously badass gun action. Though the scenes in Trigun are better. I feel like the Orgmen concept in Gungrave really took the show a bit downhill. Gungrave's a really good drama if we just focus on the past story of Brandon and Harry (the first 10 or so episodes) and the final episode. Everything else in between was only good in parts. Trigun's got more suave and is much more closer to being a perfect show than Gungrave. But I enjoyed watching Gungrave, especially Brandon. He's a unique one.

I'd forgive all of Gungrave's mistakes just for the ending alone. When Brandon said he didn't regret choosing his best friend over Millenium. But the final verdict from me is that Trigun is more complete and a generally better show than Gungrave in my opinion.

yoda313 likes this.
  9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Cool thanks :)

I almost lost it at times with brandon being presented the way he was
    not saying a damn word
    . However it was very compelling. It kept you tuned to see where it went.

Thats good that you like both. Ill definitely get to trigun sometime.

10. DcRising

DcRising Newbie

Just finished Jojo's Stardust Crusaders last week and what a fun ride. Jojo's series just exceed my expectations every series.

Gaff likes this.
  11. Neji195

Neji195 Not your average "Newbie"

I'm watching Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood for the first time currently. I have 12 episodes left. It's so good!

12. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Lupin III: Part 5

Given the huge length of time between parts 3 and 4, it was a pleasant surprise to see another main Lupin series follow so soon after, and even more so to see how good it was! While not without fault, I thought this was a consistently very strong season that did much to breathe new life into the franchise and built on what Part 4 had achieved, while addressing many of the issues I had with it. Part 5 was well paced, I thought the arc-based approach to its plots was very successful and the 'ripped from the headlines' approach to its subject matter helped make Lupin's adventures feel fresh, in a way they haven't for a very long time. I do think they haven't quite nailed the tone yet, but I'd rather have the awkward lurches into more explicit violence than the generally toothless feeling that haunts a lot of the more family-friendly outings.

My only concern is what newcomers might make of the considerable number of in-joke references the show makes back to Lupin's previous adventures - some relatively obvious, others quite obscure. I imagine the writers did this specifically with the idea of getting fans discussing the show online to point out where they're all coming from, but it might be an idea if any future home release featured liner notes with maybe a brief history of the franchise, just to help accomodate those who aren't already superfans.

Also CR pls give us the OVA episode, thanks.

The Slayers

So much of what has followed Slayers has borrowed so much from it, that I was apprehensive about what going back to the original show might feel like, but it's still a very enjoyable picaresque fantasy adventure, whose deft lightness of touch has rarely been matched. I think it's at its best when it's doing self-contained arcs, however; when they got into the main thrust of the plot and it's played a little less for laughs, the familiar fantasy tropes begin to grate, although the throughly likeable cast of characters makes it much easier to get over the dips.

I would also give them credit for doing a successful comedy anime without any reliance on fanservice, but I haven't seen any of the parts with Naga yet...

13. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finally finished Girls Last Tour, this one took me awhile.

14. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

So what did you think?

15. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Ehh... Idk. It didn't really grip me to keep watching. Which is why I took me this long to finish it. I liked it, I thought it was a 7, but I gave it a rank-up cause of the last 3 episodes. I feel like the characters were too bland for this show.

16. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

That's a shame. Personally I really enjoyed the show and thought it was one of the best anime of last year. (allong with Land of the Lustrous and March Lion) I thought it was a terriffic adventure series that was deceptively deep and clever behind it's simplistic facade. In fact I'd say episode 9 was imo the best single episode of 2017.

But to each their own. I'm just surprised. Girls Last Tour to me felt like a show anyone could enjoy so I'm sad to learn you didn't.

17. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished Asobi Asobase pretty fast. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and that ED was lit.

18. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Oh wow it's been a while. To keep this short I'll just list my last 3

Fairytail season 1 was pretty fun and I'm looking forward to finishing it when i get the chance

Tsubasa was pretty cool too and i love how it ties in to xxx holic

Dragon pilot was really cool. If you like girls and planes or dragons or both then i definitely suggest checking it out

19. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished Boku no Hero Academia season 3.

20. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Gundam Thunderbolt: Bandit Flower

The shift in tone from December Sky is quite dramatic - it feels like we've gone from The Deer Hunter to Rambo - but this was an extremely enjoyable action film that delivers pretty much everything I would want from Gundam (i.e. for it to be more like Votoms). It does feel like some of the finer details of the plot have been lost in the adaptation, however.

Cells at Work

I enjoyed this, it was a clever idea, well executed. As others have noted, it is a little questionable whether there's enough substance to it that it would linger in the mind for any great length of time, but it was good while it lasted.