What was the last anime you completed?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by J4sm1n4, May 23, 2016.

1. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher Newbie

Gosh, I'm not really sure. I think it was Fullmetal Alchemist in full. It didn't harrow me on rewatching than it did when I was young. I still had to shed some compulsory tears, but I wasn't rent (wow, I was not aware that rend was an irregular verb.)

2. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished both seasons of 3-Gatsu no Lion.

Didn't really like the first season, it was good yeah, but I didn't enjoy it, felt kinda boring to me and wasn't really memorable for me.

Second season was better imo. I can confidently say that my favorite part was the match between Shimada and Yanagihara. Liked the way bullying was covered too.

One thing that harmed the enjoyment for me was something that doesn't seem to bother others, so I concluded that it's just down to personal preference. That were the tone changes, I found them too sudden.

P.S. Also... I'm really sorry, but... I found Momo annoying (and sometimes the Kawamoto family as a whole), forgive me. :cry:

#502 Matemar, Dec 28, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  3. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished Mononoke as well.

This was an interesting one. Visuals were really good, fits the show and gives it the freedom it needs to be as bizarre as it is.

Quite enjoyed it.

4. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Yeah some of them visuals had a decently disturbing effect. Especially the episode with those aborted baby spirits. Think that was the first couple of episodes.

5. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Just finished Rascal Doesn’t Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai, and I’m not afraid to say that I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think that a lot of people may have been put off by the title or the opening graphics making them assume it’s some kind of stupid harem type of show or similar nonsense, but nothing could be further from the truth. Yes, we see the bunny outfit in the first episode for a few minutes, but that’s not the real focus of the show. It’s more of a vehicle used to demonstrate the affliction shared by some of the main characters which is a series of syndromes that affect them in different ways. The bunny outfit just illustrates a sense of invisibility to others, other afflictions range from mysterious injuries to body swaps. While I am a little put off by the bizarre nature of these symptoms ( it messes with my sense of reality ), it really isn’t any worse that believing in magical or superhuman powers as depicted in other shows when there’s no basis for them either. What I really liked was the generally serious way that the subject was handled, the mc Sakuta suffered from injuries in the past but learned how to cope, yet his younger sister also had similar symptoms due to cyber bullying and was unable to cope making her a shut-in with no exposure to any kind of social media. Sakuta has become her caretaker while he tries to complete his schooling and work part time as well. In the course of events he encounters bunny girl, Mai, as well as others and they end up helping each other to resolve the issues that they experience. The best part, as I said before, is the level of seriousness that is involved. No goofy over exaggerated motions, Sakuta doesn’t get a nosebleed over bunny girl, any sexuality is more implied rather than graphic, the humor is rather low key but effective, basically the same as you would expect to see if you were watching a live action show instead of an anime. I would say at least give it a try.

6. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished Bunny girl as well. I'm thinking that it's an overhyped show. It wasn't really bad or anything, but it's not great either.

7. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Finished Golden Kamuy, both seasons.

8. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

Just saw the broly movie, and it's pretty epic!

9. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Finished yugioh ark v s2. Know i just have to wait for Netflix to get s3. The show is pretty interesting if you're a yugioh fan or a fan of campy anime. Kinda dark at times too. Overall, not bad so far

10. Kaynil

Kaynil Senior Member

There's another season coming in October, but I have caught up with the anime of My Hero Academia for now. :3

11. Daniel

Daniel Newbie

The last Anime I completely watched was Sword Art Online. I would rate it 10/10 I enjoyed it quite a bit. :)

When I decide to watch another Anime I'll probably look for another one like it.

12. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Terrible anime though.

13. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

Little Witch Academia. Don't ask. I'm weird.

14. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Nah, Little Witch Academia is actually quality.

15. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

I was thinking of getting the video game, but I don't know if I'll actually play that. I read it's quite similar to the anime.

16. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Double Decker: Doug & Kirill

A jolly buddy-cop comedy that I thought at times cryingly funny in its first half, but wavered a bit towards the end as it tackled the more serious parts of its plot. It was always likable throughout, but when it isn't playing it purely for laughs, I think it's easier to see the show's shortcomings. The climactic action set piece is pretty average, for example, and, despite having their names in the title, the central duo are often less engaging as characters than some of the people around them. It's been announced that a further three episodes will be released down the line, so as the main plot line is pretty well wrapped up, I just hope they'll go back to the funny.

All credit to whatever studio worked on the CGI though; CGI elements are used quite a bit in the show, but they're well integrated and don't seem to suffer the usual herky-jerky frame-rate reduction nearly as much as many other series out there.

Zombieland Saga

Similar to Double Decker, this is an entertaining, lightweight zombie idol comedy that comes off the boil a little when it tries to be more serious in its second half. It fares a little better with its character beats and builds to a rousing finale, but I found the seemingly last minute attempt to trail a few plot threads for the next cour to pick up rather distracting. While the end result is perfectly fine, I was also slightly disappointed that they didn't pursue the seemingly darker comedy hinted at by the first ten minutes or so - the scenes of Sakura's 'death' and subsequent reawakening suggest a much blacker tone than what the show ultimately becomes.

17. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

18. Daniel

Daniel Newbie

I guess so, I'd be curious to know what makes you think it's worthy of being called terrible.

19. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

It seems to be a "one extreme or the other" thing with that anime. People either really enjoyed it, or really hated it. I watched the first episode, or three, and was like "NOPE." It really wasn't my thing. I found it kinda bland. There's been some controversy surrounding it's handling of sexual assualt as well. Oh, since it came from Japan, what's new. Anime isn't exactly famous for handling those topics well. Sword Art Online from what I understand, used sexual assault on occasion as a cheap plot device. There was one graphic scene in particular ( I didn't watch it) that people were pretty friggen furious over.

Basically, as someone who doesn't intend to watch this show, I'm just offering a reason based on everything I've read from it's fans, both on here and elsewhere. I've also had a conversation about it with a member of staff here who had watched it and hated it, and warned me off it. (I had already decided, it wasn't my kind of thing before any of that though.)

20. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

Hm, I didn't even think about those events until you pointed them out. SAO isn't the best anime, but it also isn't bad. I think it's a decent if light hearted representation of what would happen to people were they stuck in a simulation forever. It's not a new concept, but at least it wasn't mindnumbingly boring as .Hack was. Regarding the sexual assault scenes, I disagree they were cheap plot devices. This just means you're looking at it as if you're only allowed to have ingredient A in a movie/anime if it adheres to rules XYZ. That's definitely the wrong way to approach it. I think they were very valid things that people would do when there are no repercussions. In fact I think they went kind of light on the topic. I believe people would do far worse. Also, we're talking about sexual assault, but no one mentions murder. Because you know, that's ok.

Could they have done it better? Yes, they could have had men rounding up women as their playthings and have them rape them at their leisure. Would this be something that people would want to watch? No, I wouldn't either. I do think it's far more realistic than what was depicted in the series. This is because no one can do shit about it. You can just do this stuff and get away with it. Some of the people in SOA world just went insane. You can fill in the blanks yourself.

On the other hand, when did Japanese animators ever need a reason to put rape, tentacles and women in precarious positions in their productions? If they can, they will. It's only gotten worse if you ask me. But those anime that are like that aren't discussed, but a relatively innocent kids show like SOA all of a sudden is in the picture. People need to get their priorities straight.