What was the last anime you completed?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by J4sm1n4, May 23, 2016.

1. Enies

Enies Famous Member

GITS airse. I'm surprised more people aren't talking about it, but it's the best new thing to come out in the animated medium in a whille. It doesn't help that most anime doesn't appeal to me anymore, but arise was a pleasant experience. And the new movie was great as well.

2. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

That's probably the most positive appraisal I've seen anyone give Arise so far. Most people I've heard mention it have said it's good, but not great. Only seen the first OAV myself, but I'm holding out for a complete box set before I watch the rest.

3. cberg

cberg Active Member
    Silver Founder Plus

Did a mini binge watch this weekend and finished up Grimgar of Fantasy and Ash. Definitely looking forward to a second season, which I hope they make. Still so much story to cover.

4. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Strike witches. It was ludicrous, charming, ridiculous, and over the top stupid at times, and i want more

5. Sparkling Forklift

Sparkling Forklift i wish i was clever so i could put something here
    Gold Founder

I recently finished two movies.

One I watched was Aura: Maryuuin Kouga Saigo no Tatakai. This one actually surprised me. I thought it'd be kinda meh; I don't even know why I decided to watch it. But once I finished it, I was impressed. It did feel a little silly or overdramatic at times, but I was still touched by the story. It was a really neat way of presenting bullying, and I found myself getting emotional even when I couldn't relate. I really only could relate to the MC's situation. But overall, it's an 8/10 anime. Great stuff.

The other was Hal. It was an okay little short movie. The two main characters were pretty interesting, especially as to how the show slowly revealed their past. The ending had a nice surprise too. The other characters felt completely unnecessary though. If the movie had more time to give them a little depth, I wouldn't mind, but some of them just...there. I'd give it a 6/10. I enjoyed it but it didn't really stick with me.

6. käwäii

käwäii Active Member
    Bronze Founder

Watched Dagashi Kashi in two days, and I kinda knew when I started watching it that it's gonna be average, and it was. Actually even slightly below average. Characters saved the whole show, otherwise it would have been just bad. It's a little frustrating that many of these series don't take any risks. They churn out with the basic formula, without any sort of creativity, and the end result is plain average. Of course they think the profitability of their product, so they're probably scared what the outcome might be, hence they use the 'basic formula'. But at least try something different. :mad:

7. Zoltor

Zoltor Well-Known Member
    Gold Founder

Last night I rewatched Hero Tales.

Lol I keep getting sidetracked, because reading subs, when a anime is dubbed in Mandarin, is not a enjoyable experience. I think I'm going put my "full" The Legend of Qin/Qin's moon rewatch on hold for the time being, and continue season 5 from where I left off. Then when I have the time to deal with the Mandarin dub in a full rewatch, I'll do so then.

8. Deystorm

Deystorm Just an anime lover

My last and only series I've completed is "Pokemon: The Origin".
    Really a funny series.
    I like the gameboy parts in it :p

9. Karnage

Karnage Active Member
    Platinum Founder

Just finished watching mayo chiki. This was the first anime I've watched and finished in anywhere from 2-4 months. As much as I've been leaning away from romance anime I find it hard to watch action sometimes.

Bored out of my mind and unable to find anything I just jumped onto Yoda's wall and grabbed a random show he watched. Turned out to be pretty good given I wasn't so interested at first.

The show is a typical harem with MC jiro having gynophobia (fear of contact with women) comes to find Konoe's secret and they become friends. She's disguises herself as a man to keep her job as a butler and hes her first real friend.

10. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Visited some friends for a viewing day; hijinks did ensue.

Dragonball Z: Resurrection of F

I was never a great fan of DBZ, but I know enough about it to not be totally lost with this film. It's by the numbers stuff and the eventual ending's a bit anticlimactic, but even as a non-fan, I still found it a fairly entertaining watch.

Girls Und Panzer der Film

Again not something I'm a particular fan of, but this film was far more entertaining than the little bit I've seen of the series. The tank battles feel more like something out of the old Micro Machines computer games than anything even remotely realistic, but the two major action scenes that dominate the film are pretty great - well paced, nicely directed. So long as you don't go looking for depth of character or originality in the story, it's a bit of a laugh.

Down Load - Namiamidabutsu wa Ai no Uta

I've wanted to see this one for a long while, mostly because it's the one '90s Mad House production that was just never available anywhere. A quirky little cyberpunk film about a womanising monk mixed up with a mysterious stripper, it's not amazing, but it did not disappoint either. The pop-art styled visuals are the best thing about it, but be warned though - the only fansub presently in general circulation is a very poor quality VHS rip and does not do the art any kind of justice.

Wakako Zake

Pshuuu~ That is all.

11. wesleyv1

Finally bought and watched dbz resurrection frieza yesterday and i gotta say, while it was good and i did enjoy it, it still felt a bit rushed and more of like an ova to battle of gods but i hear dragon ball super explains some things. Anyway i still enjoyed it

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wait you've only just seen strike witches??? I've had it on bluray for a couple years now :D

I just finished argento soma.

It was really different. I thought it was just a monster of the week show but it turned out to be pretty complex. There was an overall story arc that had alot of twists. And I liked the last episode a lot.

I do recommend it. It's mecha and alien stuff but its not a cookie cutter show.

13. DnJ

DnJ Angel
    Gold Founder

Took me almost 4 months (maybe more?), but I'm finally done with Ajin. Liked it, but it's nothing spectacular. I'm commending the designer for the 3D animations, but I wish they models didn't look so much like Mii.

14. Leona_Rose

Leona_Rose Newbie
    Gold Founder

I finished watching One-Punch Man a few days ago! A friend offered to watch it with me, as I was curious to see what all the hype was about. Honestly? I thought it lived up to it pretty well. Its over-the-top styling was legitimately fun to watch, and I thought it made some smart decisions in where it focused its plot and character development. (It even managed to make a, "my family was killed so I became a literal murder-machine" character genuinely likeable! That's not easy to do, in my opinion. It probably helped that they didn't mention it much...) I did kinda wish it gave the supporting cast more screentime, though - it felt like we never got to know them or even see most of them do anything up until the end.

#74 Leona_Rose, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016
  15. wesleyv1

Dude, it's only a 2010 show, that's not really anything to brag about. Besides I've turned you onto animes way older than that (need i mention saikano?)

16. wesleyv1

Just finished the gits movie and...honestly....I'm kinda confused, like it was just getting good then it's like, ok movie's over, and I'm like, wait..that's it? Is sac better, or is it more of the same? Cause if it is I'm not gonna bother. I might check out the new movie though

17. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

You're talking about the 1995 movie, correct? SAC has more character development and a more paced/modernized plot to hook you in. Maybe you'll appreciate the movie more once you've gone through SAC, get to know the characters better and understand the GITS world.

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@wes - that was just a tease you know? :d

To kuze you will listen. Watch sac you must :)

Yes the original movie is a bit out there. Sac and the spin-offs aren't quite 100% tied into the original. The second movie is a tie in. The new movie that just came out is based on the arise series.

19. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

The '95 film is very definitely a Mamoru Oshii movie, being more focused on philosophical musing and overall mood, wheras SAC is more like a standard police procedural with some philosophical discussion underpinning it. Even if you didn't like the '95 film, SAC is different enough that you might enjoy it more.

20. wesleyv1

Thanx dudes