What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Shadow Fox, May 27, 2016.

1. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

No spoilers, that goes for you too Yoda. The previews look good enough, I'm going to give it one more week then catch the late show on $5 Tuesday when I should have most of the theater to myself.

Looks like some other good movies coming up too. Forgot the title but there's an adult themed Muppet movie showing soon that looks like a laugh riot.

2. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

That's Happytime Murders. Melissa McCarthy's in it, but the noir + muppets thing this one's got going on is too good to pass up.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Saw it this morning.

I thought eldrich did a decent job as han. Glover was great as lando. The rest of the cast was good.

It was a bit uneven. Not so much night and day breaks but i just couldn't get into it it until about a 1/3 of the way in. It just didn't really grab hold of me right away. It wasnt bad. It just wasn't great. Also the overall tint of the film was dark. Even the bright outside scenes werent overally bright.

One great callback was
    darthomir! Wasnt that the jedi witch planet in one of the 90s books that's not cannon anymore???

Overall it was good. It wasnt a train wreck. It just didn't have the same push some star wars movies have that grab you early on.

4. Wind Adept

Wind Adept Senior Member

I saw Avenger: Infinity War a few weeks back. Without spoiling anything, I thought the pacing was quite good given how many major marvel heroes made an appearance in this film. Of course it has the cheeky banter people expect from an mcu film, but it also knows when to be dramatic too. I really liked what they did with Thanos, he actually had a good deal of depth to his character.

5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Finally saw jaws yesterday! Duh duh duh duh.... (hard to humm the tune in text :D).

The two biggest one liners finally have context for me - I think we need a bigger boat! and Got to close the beaches! Obviously they aren't that hard to interpret without the movie but its nice to put the scenes together.

It was more gruesome than i was expecting. Man ripping open the shark was a lot fun yuck. I love that i know most of it from references and the Mythbusters episodes :D But the air tank explosion was a definite plus :)

I may get to The Goonies today. Seeing i was probably the right middle school age kid when it came it out i still can't believe I've never seen it. Edit ah i was in elementary school when it came out. It must have been "too scary" for my age then.

#705 yoda313, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018
  6. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Finally saw Black Panther. Didn't have enough interest in it to pay to see it in theaters, or on early release on Amazon video, so after it' home video release I just rented it off Amazon .

I literally only saw it because I wanted to be up to date on any events leading up to Infinity War, as the trailers seemed like it took place in Wakanda for at least part of the movie (no idea if it did, as I've not seen it yet). Turns out it served solely to give Black Panther a proper introduction beyond his appearance in Civil War.

I wouldn't say it's an objectively bad movie or anything, but after seeing so many superhero origin movies, it was just stereotypical and predictable. Got your hero, got the mirrored version of your hero, even complete with the same blood, same suit, and same title, got your hero's fall, and then their triumphant rise back to their former position, and a change in their outlook by the end. It was like a movie grown in a lab.

Didn't really need to see it, I guess, and didn't care about it enough even after having seen it to be happy that I did. Just seemed overrated to me, based on all the hype it received.

Soundtrack was pretty dope, though.

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Finally saw the goonies. Aside from some regretable stereotypes in the beginning the movie was a lot of fun. I didnt even know short round was in it :D but seriously how can you go wrong with pirates? Though it did have happy ending fatigue with it taking too long to clise out. Otherwise im glad i got to it :)

8. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

HEY YOU GUYS!

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

They even had the bond theme when short round crashed through the window. I didn't see it mentioned in the credits. Ill have to watch that part again to be sure.

10. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Saw Zork Sneeder's Justice League in a bar, with the sound turned down and all the subtitles written in Korean. It was a CGI mess of a shitshow, but at least it was distracting enough to give me something else to focus on besides all the work rants my higher-ranked officemates were sharing.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

It was better than bvs though :) no martha crap thank god.

Tonto-banchou likes this.
  12. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Just watched SAO: Ordinal Scale last night for the first time. Would be cool if AR was really like that minus all the it could kill you part.

yoda313 likes this.
  13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Credits are rolling on ROCKY 3.

Its amazing that a movie that's pretty obvious and preordained can still grab you. I mean stallone is no Christian Bale or denzel washington but he is good at his type of movies. The perseverance and struggle just works so well in sports movies. When its done even remotely decently you get sucked in rootin for the hero. But you gotta love hulk hogan and mr t! I pity the fool!

Though i should have skipped the intro as i havent seen rocky 2 though i did know how it endd i just hadnt seen it.

Funny thing is im not a boxing fan but i have seen the first rocky a few years ago. I have rocky balboa on disc. I want to see rocky 4 and eventually ill get to creed.

14. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

They're all really good films, at least the four that I've actually seen, but Rocky IV is definitely my favorite. It's still got that great triumphant Rocky spirit, but it's also not afraid to be dumb as hell in the best possible way. Super fun movie to watch, no doubt.

15. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

Just finished Get Out. Really liked it, despite feeling fairly creeped out the whole movie lol nice twists and turns and had a genuinely disturbing vibe through it even before know what was going on.

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I love that! Not afrid to be dumb as hell :)

17. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Incredibles 2, AKA "I waited 15 years for this?!" Movie Bob explains it better, and he pretty much hit all the problems I have with the film.

I was going to write a full-length review, but you know what, I just couldn't bother, much like how Brad Bird doesn't seem to bother. It has so many good plot-points about feminism, the reverse role of men and women, the emasculation of people and society when offered the privilege of convenience, individualism vs. following the law (something Civil War already tackled, sort of), but none of them seem to have a proper payoff. Just a bunch of ideas slapped together to have an excuse for a fun but nonetheless shallow fight sequence with nothing meaningful to say.

5/10. Was going to give it 6/10 since it's still a fun superhero flick that pays tribute to the Golden Age of superheroes in its visual style and even narrative theme (showing heroes being heroes), but watching Bob's review and thinking about how disappointing all this has been (especially to a Pixar fan like me who has been disappointed since Cars came out in 2006), I couldn't really care.

18. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Satellite girl and milk cow. Oh boy, well if you haven't heard of this one it's about a inactive satellite that becomes active again after hearing a boy sing a song. She then falls to earth then turns into a girl for some reason. The boy she followed to earth has been turned into a milk cow by now because in this world when peoples hearts are broken they get turned into animals (you can't make this stuff up) anyway together with the wizard Merlin (who has been turned into a roll of toilet paper) they must destroy the giant incinerator monster and safe the world.

Sounds intriguing but the animation isn't great, the dialog is just jarring at times, and the narrative is all over the place. Not to mention a lot of things were ultimately left unresolved. It's not a bad movie just poorly executed

19. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I just finished Halloween (1978) again; the first time I've watched it in probably a decade.

It's still a great fuckin' movie. The story is what it is, not exactly complicated, but it doesn't need to be. It hits all of the high points and answers most of the questions that you might have. Castwise it's pretty good - Jamie Lee Curtis and Donald Pleasants are excellent, but the supporting cast isn't as strong. The writing is damn fine - Loomis, in particular, has a lot of great lines, and so does Laurie. I'm surprised by just how much I like the leading lady. She's a pretty smart character, although she does fall into some slasher cliches throughout the film, seeing as this film was instrumental in creating a lot of them, I can't really hold them against it as such. In any case, she's very likable - ironically its one of the few things that slashers that followed up in its wake never really tried to take inspiration from.

One thing that I think it does better than pretty much all other slashers, and the other Halloween movies for that matter, is that Michael Myers actively behaves like a psychopath. He's not afraid to harass Laurie in broad daylight, and he does the same to children right outside of a school playground. He's crazy, and the film really gives you a lot to help reinforce that.

I'm planning to go through the entire (original) series again, and... it's gonna be an adventure. Pleasants is the only thing that is consistently good throughout the franchise, especially given the bullshit that Laurie is written into by the later films. I've still got a few flicks to watch before everything goes completely down the drain though, so that's nice.

#719 Novaire, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
    ReymousFumes likes this.
  20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Just got back from rifftrax live fathom event space mutiny!

https://www.fathomevents.com/events/rifftrax-live-space-mutiny

I saw my real name in the credits! That was awesome! Expensive kickstarter but worth it :)

The jokes were spot on. Even though i know the mst3k version real well it was still fun seeing a "new" version. The weird thing is this wasn't a remastered version so far as i can tell. It was like watching a new vhs copy on the big screen - clear but not wow inducing resolution.

Next in line is KRULL!!!