What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Shadow Fox, May 27, 2016.

1. Interest1ng

Interest1ng SC's AmbASSador.... MAWP!!!

Watched A Quiet Place last night............................. felt like it was a motion picture set in modern times of Stranger Things.

2. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

Outbreak (1995) - Rewatch: Oh boy, this movie was stupid. But you know what? In true Wolfgang Petersen fashion, it's stupid with interesting characters, and good characters always make a better movie than a good plot. Furthermore, I think it's one of those dumb action movies with just the right amount of intensity for a good time. There were many thrills that would work to entertain if you just turn off your brain a little regarding the details of the virus and how they literally pulled an antidote outta a monkey's ass in a matter of hours.

6.5/10. Good fun.

3. Interest1ng

Watched Jurassic World and The Avengers: Infinity War both pretty okay.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Boo i have to wait till this weekend for jurassic world 2.

5. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Mary Poppins (1964)
    Unlike many others, I've actually never seen Mary Poppins growing up in the '90s. I heard the soundtrack, sure, but my next encounter with it would be in the form of "Saving Mr. Banks," a tearjerking account of the production behind the film and how Walt Disney himself supposedly tried to gain the rights to the book his upcoming film, "Mary Poppins" was adapting from... except he didn't. He never did. Most of that movie was nonsense, and P. L. Travers hated the film for being too whimsical and silly; you know, typical Disney traits. I almost did as well in the first 30 minutes to the movie. In fact, I literally fell asleep after an hour.

When it comes to popular works, I hate to talk about why I dislike them, because I would have to spend so much time defending my opinion from people demanding a proper excuse from me. Sometimes, a film just doesn't work for me, like the case of Spider-Man: Homecoming. And if it's something I don't like, why would I want to spend so much time talking about why I hate it (Homecoming is an exception, of course, because I love Spider-Man enough to talk about it). It's also the same reason my Superior Spider-Man review isn't even half-done yet (it even requires a second rewrite). I kept putting it off.

Thankfully, this was not the case with Mary Poppins. Far from it.

The thing of it is, I'm 28 years old this year, and watching the song and dance at the beginning of this film, I felt that I might have outgrown Disney films. It all just seemed like something an eight year old would enjoy a lot more. I kept waiting for something interesting to happen when "Jolly Holiday" came on, a song that dragged on far too long than it needed to. The placement of live action against animation was revolutionary at the time, but it's nothing more than a passable spectacle for me today. "Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious" was a catchy tune, but unlike good musical numbers, it didn't really established character development or plot progression of any kind and was seemingly just another playful song that could have been ignored.

But then I started to look at the big picture of it. When Mr. George Banks' sub-plot began to have a bigger spotlight dedicated to it, all the idyllic setting that came before started to make more sense. The juxtaposition of Mr. Banks' overtly serious personality against that fantasy world Poppins introduced his children to work very well. It's a rather trite notion, Disney trying to get to your inner-child in this adult world, but it's still very effective and relevant today. I especially enjoyed how George's way of life was summed up well through the song, "The Life I Lead." He's a very disciplined and methodical man working at a bank of London (thus his name). In fact, a number of the characters' personality were expressed well enough through some good musical numbers, like "Sister Suffragette" painting Mrs. Banks as an optimistic feminist icon trying to be an ideal role model for her children, or the Overture establishing Bert as a carefree jack-of-all-trades trying to earn a living. Whenever I look at musical numbers, I tend to judge them by what they contribute to the overall story or character personalities, and Disney musicals tend to have songs that present an overarching theme very well. You need to look at what all the songs bring together in the big picture. In this case, it is an attempt at retaining the innocence of everyone in the serious world of adults where getting sacked from your job is a very possible thing, even in a setting as silly as this.

Truthfully, in spite of what I said about outgrowing Disney, I'm a sucker for stories that touch the inner-child of audiences, and I think Mary Poppins is one of the most exemplary works to have achieved this.

4.5/5

Now, in regards to how respectful it treats Travers' real life and her father's life, that's another story for another day.

6. Interest1ng

Oh I just watched the first Jurassic World. Not Fallen Kingdom it doesn't come out here till the 22nd. It was the movie we decided to watch while lounging in the pool at home. Set up a projector and Bluetooth soundbar that I connected to my Fire TV.

7. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Finally got to see Solo, thought I'd have the whole theater to myself yet there were still close to a dozen people there. At least I had my own row with the big recliner seats. Back to Solo, um, I liked it as a stand alone movie maybe about someone with a shared name, but it just did not feel right as a depiction of his early years. I don't think there were that many years that could have passed between this early Solo and the original saga ( ep. IV ) to account for what looked like vast expanses in the Empire. I mean they made the Empire look like a rag-tag operation in Solo when they were much more advanced even in the new episode I. Good connection with Lando though, I liked that part.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Oh i see. Its a good one.

@Griffmeister - yep solo was just off. Not bad just not great. And i dont thiink it was really from the director switch. It seemed either too ambitious or not enough. Thats the trouble with prequels your stuck to a certain extent.

9. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Treasure Planet (2002)
    Better than I remembered. With some very strong characters like Jim Hawkings and Long John Silver, the great chemistry between the cast, and some very amazing visuals way ahead of its time, Treasure Planet was an underrated animated classic full of adventure and wonder.

Sure, its message at heart isn't too different from your traditional Disney trite - finding yourself and your place in this world - but it's a familiar story well told and a very nice character arc, with Jim maturing from a rebellious youngster yearning for a pirate life to a grounded man willing to build his future the proper way. Excellent writing here.

The visuals in particular is the real gem. That supernova scene was amazing, and would have probably looked a lot more awesome on the big screen. The sight of Treasure Planet for the first time really gives you that sense of wonderment as the camera pulls back on the mountains of gold piling up. Such expert cinematography combined with revolutionary 3-D animation that could match Pixar's standards made this a truly breathtaking experience to behold.

4/5

10. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I just finished up a Korean drama-comedy hybrid called Bank Attack (2007).

A down-on-his-luck father is told that his daughter will need surgery in order to save her life. He tries on his own to secure the funds to do so, but through a series of unfortunate events, his only remaining option is to rob a bank in order to pay for the operation. There's only one complication; he wasn't the only person who decided to make that very choice on the day.

With a title like Bank Attack, I was expecting some solid comedy and some decent action. It assuredly delivered on the comedy front. The quips land accordingly most of the time and it can be a pretty funny flick - when it isn't sending one particular character off to the toilet again and again. It's that quirky Korean humor, if you like it, you'll do just fine with this one. As for action, the movie has... pretty much none of it. With that said, it is actually a moderately compelling drama though, and one with a good hook at that. I liked the central characters a good amount, and to that end, the cast was quite good, Baek Yoon-Sik was the highlight for me personally, as it felt like his character had more layers and personality than the others. I really liked him, and his subplots and conflicts were likewise my favorite parts of the film.

Needless to say, I really liked it, way more than I expected to. Frankly, I was kind of looking for a dumb little distraction, and what I got was a fairly engaging drama with some interesting characters. I think it could've worked better as a mini-series (and structurally, it kind of feels like that was what the writer wanted) as it would've benefitted from some extra time to simmer the characters, but you've gotta take what you get, I guess. It's not the must-see Korean film of the decade, but I still had a good time with it.

#730 Novaire, Jun 21, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2018
  11. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

Just wrapped up a horror parody film House of the Long Shadows (1983).

An author suffering from some minor writer's block makes a $20,000 wager with his publisher that, with solitude and the right location, he'll be able to break out of his slump. His publisher arranges a stay at a neglected old manor in the Welsh countryside for the purposes of the bet. After his arrival, he begins work on his novel immediately, only to be surprised when he hears some other people moving about the house, which turns out to be only the beginning of a long night.

Now, down to brass tacks - this is a great film, based loosely on the Seven Keys to Baldpate. It's a parody mostly in name only, it does rely on a lot of tropes, but it subverts some of them, and does some interesting things to keep you on your toes. It isn't really a comedy in any sense, although there are a few jokes in there that I quite liked. This film is packed with compelling twists and turns, and, best of all, they're backed by some good characters. For a film juggling about ten actors, I think they did a commendable job to make most-all of them interesting. Some are better than others, no doubt, but even the side characters are fairly memorable, while the leads are all excellent.

No doubt the greatest selling point for this film is the inclusion of some of the greatest horror icons of all time, featuring the likes Vincent Price, Peter Cushing, and Christopher Lee, all united in a single picture. They're also joined by John Carradine, an icon of the genre in his own rite - it's truly a wondrous thing. Despite their late arrivals in the story, with Peter being the first to appear over a half hour into the runtime, all three of the Silver Age icons are given plenty of time to shine. I don't want to single any of them out, because I don't want to imply that any of them weren't as impressive, because they truly carried the film together.

I must admit that, based on the poster, I kind of expected, or perhaps wanted, to see Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee, and Vincent Price fighting off monsters or spirits together in a mansion, and that's not really even remotely close to the plot. It's a little reminiscent of The House on Haunted Hill, which also starred Price. This is an excellent flick, and so much more than just a horror movie. I'll be looking to pick up a Blu-Ray copy as soon as I can so that I can appreciate it a bit more, as the version I watched was ripped from a faded VHS copy. It comes highly recommended from me for all fans of classic horror, it's a serious hidden gem.

12. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Pleasantville (1998)
    I don't quite know how to feel about this film. On the one hand, criticisms regarding its heavyhandedness were not wrong; it's certainly very on-the-nose towards its themes of racism and the romanticism of '50s idyllic nature. On the other hand, its message about embracing changes and embracing the diversity in others is certainly relevant in our LGBT era.

But when you think about it as a story, how does it fare? Are its characters interesting or are they just walking metaphors of the movie's message? By the end of the story, I don't really feel that connected to either David or Jennifer. I understand their message, but I couldn't really care much about them as a person. There's a nice character development here for the both of them, but it feels so forced and lazy that it comes off as unnatural, and maybe even a little stupid (especially in Jennifer's case).

2/5

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Saw jurassic world fallen kingdom yesterday.

I had a few qualms with the plot setup in the beggining of the movie. However once it got underway and the meat of the movie got going i enjoyed it.

The sheer zaniness of it is its own charm. Other movies wpuld crash under the weight of some of the stunts but it works here.

Definitley enjoyable.

14. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor

I just watched Disney's Mulan (1998) for the first time in about fifteen years or so.

Like pretty much everyone, when I was younger, I watched pretty much the entire list of Disney animated hits, but I haven't watched any of them in recent years, and I can't remember much of any of them specifically, with one exception; Mulan. I remember this movie beat for beat, and considering how little I seem to remember from the others, that's amazing.

It is a phenomenal film, from the music to the choreography of the action scenes, it's all great. The story and all of the characters are especially memorable and Mulan is a well-realized lead. Also, the movie is damn funny - Granny had me laughing with just about every line she had in the film. It's a super well-structured movie too. That scene where they arrive at the village & battlefield as they're singing A Girl Worth Fighting For and the way that it just comes to a sudden halt is so perfect that it's always stuck especially well in my mind.

I'm glad to see that it holds up just as well as I remember, definitely one of my favorite animated movies.

---

The rumor as of now is that the live-action adaptation will cut both the songs and the character of Li Shang in favor of being more accurate, which is a significant bummer, and, I imagine if those are gone, we can probably say goodbye to Mushu, the lucky cricket, and likely all of Mulan's friends too. It's nice that Jet Li and Donnie Yen might get to share the screen again, but adjusting the story as much as it seems that they are doesn't seem like what anyone wanted. Mulan was the adaptation of a legend, not of real events, and that legend has probably changed more than a few thousand times, so why does this version have to adhere to something other than Disney's own vision?

We've already had nearly ten adaptations of the Ballad of Mulan, and from my understanding, Sony is also be producing its own adaptation of the legend at around the same time as Disney (assuming it doesn't get stuck in development hell forever), so it begs the question as to why they'd even bother with this. Something that is described as a live-action remake of Mulan should be a live-action remake of Mulan - it didn't need to be made at all, but if you're gonna do it, you might as well adhere to what people loved about the original.

We'll see how it turns out, I guess - got plenty of time before it's close to the release calendar, so it's probably not worth worrying about anytime soon.

15. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Just watched the new tomb raider. Bought it on bluray but didn't see it in the theater.

I thought the opening was a bit odd. But once she found out about her father it took off. Of course they ripped off jurassic park the lost world in the plane scene . The other was Indiana jones and the last crusade in the hallway to the tomb. At least they took from good movies :) and it served the scene so im not against it.

I thought for the most part her relationship with her dad was done well. She seemed believable. I also thought the chemistry was good.

Overall i liked the action and the pacing. It wasn't too over the top anywhere mostly. I also liked the connections to the two reboot games. The look and feel was good. I also loved the ending - ill take two :D

Im glad i finally got to it.

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I watched rocky balboa tonight.

I could have sworn that gal he met at the bar was somebody, the one who became the new receptionist/materde. I thought she was either in Rosanne or the bowler gal in the mystery men movie. I couldn't believe she had practically no history on imdb. I was floored. I thought i should have known who she was but apparently not.

Back to the movie.

That was a cool shot with the car headlights at the torn down ice rink. Gave him a halo. Kinda like touched by an angel :D it was a little heavy handed on the revere but that was the point for the movie, moving forward.

I think he was a little hard on his kid. He didn't really take the time to understand his point of view on being overshadowed. It would be hard to have to live up to a living legend, or at least always being compared. Im not sure why he quit his job though. But i guess you were seeing he wasnt liking his boss and his coworkers werent true pals.

All in all it was a good movie. I liked that they made him mortal in real life. Albeit he still probably shouldn't have lasted any length of time in the match at all.

I have to watch creed next. I think i will go see creed 2 in the theater. I imagine ill like creed so naturally ill want to see creed 2.

I have seen all rockys excep 2, 5 and creed. Ill be scratching creed off this weekend probably. Im sure ill see 2 eventually. From what ive gathered thrres no need to watch 5.

17. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Netflix's "Brain on Fire." It's a true story about a young reporter that was diagnosed with a rare brain disorder. They were putting her psychosis down to bipolar or schizophrenia, despite her having seizures. It's been absolutely smashed by critics on Rotten Tomatoes with 13%, but it honestly wasn't as bad as they're making it out to be. The audience seem to give it better reviews and the 64% audience score is closer to what the film should be. It was well-acted, perhaps the writing wasn't fantastic, but Chloe Grace Moretz did a great job in her leading role. It was 100% believable and not over acted. If nothing else, it raises awareness about this particular disorder

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Just finished CREED.

very good. I think it really followed the first rocky pretty well. Although rocky wasnt fighting his family legacy. But he was picked to fight a champ.

I thought the whole family angle was played really well but not super sickeningly sweet. I do want to see creed 2 now. What i liked was everybody had a moment and a story. Except for the villain boxer. He sorta got a story but it wasnt really played up so he wasnt really a classic villan just a target. And legitimately he wasnt a true villan but that wasnt a bad thing exactly but it made it a little less impactful at the end.

Bring on drago jr!

19. Enies

Enies Famous Member

A Quiet Place- watched this with a group of people. It was pretty short and on to the point so it didn't feel like a drag and was decent and original enough to stand out from the rest. Pretty decent 8/10

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Saw rocky 2 last night.

Despite the fact that later rockys were cliches each and every one of them made rocky human. He wasnt perfect obviously and he didnt get everything after the first movie. He had to face crisis. He had to deal with morality.

Im not gonna say this is up there with casablanca or citizen cane (which i have yet to see, i have seen casablanca though) but its much more than just anothersports movie. Even though i join in others snickering at stallone in general you cant help but like him in his movies. Hes definitely got a sincerity in his performances that is lacking in some a lister actors.

Soi have seen every rocky except 5 and have seen the first creed. I will see creed 2, i just need to find out again when its in the theaters.

Oh and i will see rocky 5 despite its reputation since i just bought the rocky bluray collection today (streamed rocky 2 on vudu last night). Now i can watch em all without renting again.

And now i think i might maks it a point to add citizen cane to my list for the summer.