What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Shadow Fox, May 27, 2016.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

My afi top 100 quest continues. I wont complete it as i have no interest in some of them. But i did two more this weekend:

Vertigo

The maltese falcon

I didn't really expect vertigo to be a romance. Though i didnt really know what to expect but it was very well done of course. Though the mc was a terrible tailer :D anyone should have noticed he was tailing them :D but the ending was a surprise. It was partly satisfying and yet not.

The maltese falcon is film noir perfection. I mean if this didnt single handedly invent the detective genre (outside of sherlock holmes) it certainly made it work better than anything else ever could. Bogart is just perfect for it. I mean its like connery is bond for so many bogart is the only detective not named batman or sherlock homes.

I think I had watched falcon once before but i couldn't predict what was coming so it's been awhile since i did. Up next:

The bridge on the river kwai.

Oh Snape likes this.
  2. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

Vertigo is one of my favourite Hitchcock flicks. It's not quite as brilliant as Psycho imo but it still ahs that amazing sense of pacing, scene setting and above all the amazing twist before every director and their dog decided to have that in their movies.

Actually the one who invented the detective genre was most likely Edgar Allen Poe. with his eponymous genius sleuth Auguste Dupin who was a major inspiration for Sherlock Holmes.

A certain Belgian individual would like to differ:

I really liked the new Murder on the Orient Express and Branagh is a terriffic Poirot. But David Suchet will always be the definitive version of "za vorld's greatest detective"

yoda313 likes this.
  3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Thanks for the insight kerberos. Ive seen most of the suchet poirots. Have you seen the clip where he shows how he developed his accent? Flippin brilliant where hegoes from normal and becomes poirot.

Heres part of the clip, the whole series is worth watching

#763 yoda313, Aug 8, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
    Kerberos likes this.
  4. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Rented Spinning Man the other night. Maybe it’s not a blockbuster, but I had fun watching it. It’s basically about a philosophy professor who’s being investigated as a possible suspect in the kidnapping and murder of one of his students. The whole movie kind of explores the idea of reality and perception. There were some references to various concepts that I haven’t seen mentioned in a long time. That and a couple of visual gags, too.

5. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Ant-man and the Wasp: I saw it in the cimema last week. It was pretty good and the humour was done right in this one. Just enough serious to balance the humour. I was so annoyed with the latest Thor movie, not quite as amused as some. Yes, there were funny moments, but they overkilled it. People were praising it and hoping more marvel movies would copy it. I was hoping they wouldn't. Thor was trying to be so funny, that for me, it fell flat on it's face. Ant-man took it back to classic MCU humour.

The mid-credits scene in Ant-man and the Wasp gives us a clue to where they're going to take the next Avengers movie. They made it clear in that clip that this movie runs alongside the events of Infinity War. I was wondering about the timeline all through the movie. Anyway, the quantum realm could hold some secrets to maybe fixing some of Thanos' damage, but I guess we'll have to wait to find out.

yoda313 likes this.
  6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I did finish the bridge on the river kwai last weekend. Alec Guinness is such a finesse actor its incredible :)

I did HIGH NOON today. I immediately recognized the first character in the first scene. I wasn't 100% sure but i thought it was Lee Van Cleef and i was right. I really just know him from mst3k MASTER NINJA. But I was right as the opening credits rolled :) I don't think he had a single line in the movie though - just resident tough guy.

this certainly was 100% cowboy movie perfection. All the right beats were there. The saloon was great too. Although I thought this was going to be a main street showdown but the ending was a bit different. Still satisfying. You could definitely emphasize with the Gary Cooper marshall character.

I also thought this was going to have the bullet proof vest gag from Back to the Future 3 but then i remembered that was a clint eastwood movie they were showing in btf 2 hence the eastwood reference in 3 :D

I was planning on also watching psycho this weekend but i was out a lot so I think I'll save that for another day.

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Picked up infinity war on bluray on the way home tonight. Finished it too. Man what a movie! The feels too :D no less impactful even when you know whats coming. And the music is so good! Plus loved the
    your an avenger now knighting scene for spiderman :D

Ill definitely be putting some rewatch time into this. Including the commentary and the director table. Why the hell is that a streaming exclusive you have to use thd code for? Is that like two hours and would need a second disc?

8. Kerberos

Kerberos genki moe blob
    Staff Member Moderator

(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

That was amazing! Made my day! Thank you for sharing.

9. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Excellent!

Speaking of accents i was floored when i saw the brother on the brendan fraser mummy movies in an interview and he has a scotch accent not brit! Its always amazing to see an actor do a different or native accent.

10. Enies

Enies Famous Member

letters from iwo jima - one of the most criminally underrated war movies. was very impressed by it from beginning to end. Recommend anyone to watch this.

phantom thread- being daniel day lewis last movie I thought i had to watch it. Absolutely loved this movie. I definitely think he made the movie and was a very interesting character. just highly entertaining both visually and character wise. Didn't expect any less from his acting but was actually impressed with how much i enjoyed the movie and the story. Daniel day lewis somehow made being a womens dress maker look cool.

#770 Enies, Aug 27, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  11. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

iwo-jima was critically acclaimed and made bank in world wide sales. But it made fuck all in murica and this was during the 'herpy derpy support da troops' Iraq War years.

Check out the series 'The Pacific.' Its not as good as Band Of Brothers imo, but some amazing action in places.

12. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Rented Tag, boy was that one funny movie. Based on a true story, you know how that one phrase can mess up a movie, basically about a group of middle aged friends who have been playing the same game of tag since they were in grade school. You would expect the movie to get really strange and over the top compared to what actually happened. At the end there were some clips of the real people involved, and there wasn't that much that the movie went overboard on. There were some ground rules that they kept in a notebook (the paper kind) with various addendums over the years. Basically the game only happened during the month of May, no "backsies", no lying about being "It" if you're asked and no girls ( this was started in grade school after all ). In the movie, supposedly there's one member that has never been tagged. This movie is about the one year that they try to change that status. Definitely makes for some interesting interactions. I give it two thumbs up.

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Im halfway through the infinity war commentary. That was a week ago. I think ill pick it up tonight. I also pre ordered jurassic world fallen kingdom. On disc sept 18

14. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I watched Brave and Cars 3 today.

Brave was okay, but I really liked Cars 3. I was really surprised at the amount of bad reviews, of which most missed the point of the whole movie.

Griffmeister likes this.
  15. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

I liked C3 too. The funny part about some of the reviews that came out after the movie’s release was just like you said. Many of them did not have much to say about this film, but rather that they thought the franchise could not go any further with character development and would just become stale. Eh, I still choked up over the reveal about Doc in the garage at the old dirt track.

16. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Watched The Nun (2018) at the theatres. Easily the shittiest of the series and a nonsensical, done before, shitty plot, laughable, your usual list of crappy horror movie in general. I mean the leaks were quite evident in the trailers and I was a fool to think otherwise, but the shift in direction is so drastic that it killed it for me. Wan knew how to tease the shit outta you but this new director just went for the "cool horror tricks".

If I ever get attacked by a nun's dead ass ghost, in my dreams or otherwise, I'll be sure to demand a $10 dollar refund.

17. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Hang 'Em High (1968)

Although a critical and commercial success, I found this Clint Eastwood western, about an ex-lawman looking for revenge on a lynch mob, a bit stodgy. The setup is fine and there's a tense sequence of Eastwood leading several captives across a remote desert, but it's long winded and the action lacks flair. The most interesting thing about it is that it seems to straddle the divide between more traditional Hollywood westerns, and the rising influence of the nihilistic Spaghettis, but the two approaches don't really gel.

BlacKkKlansman

Not as much of a comedy as some of the trailers and reviews make it out to be, but its suprisingly measured, low-key approach to a black police officer's audacious attempt to inflitrate the KKK, feels entirely appropriate, given the kind of everyday monstrosity the film is dealing with. A timely film which is absorbing, accessible and impeccably acted.

Return of the Living Dead (1985)

I was all ready to put the boot in to this tongue-in-cheek alternative sequel for Romero's zombie classic, as everything I'd read about it suggested I'd hate it. To my surprise, however, it's actually a rather charming slice of cold-war farce, which sees a pair of unwitting medical supply company caretakers crack a case of misplaced chemical contagen, causing the dead to rise. The first half-hour appealed to me the most, with a kind of screwball double-act between the middle-aged janitor and his young assistant, but even as it moves away from them, there are still plenty of interesting ideas in the mix, even if the film is held together more by its satirical desire to show the world's end brought on by incompetence, than any compelling character development.

18. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I sat down and dug into Assassins (1995) and Young Guns (1988) last night.

Assassins is best remembered as the film where Antonio Banderas leans back in a chair. No, seriously, have you ever seen anything else from this movie referenced in any context? It's a shame, because it's genuinely an enjoyable spy vs spy style flick, though the titular actors, Stallone and Banderas are both playing hitmen, fighting over the possession of a disc in the hands of Julianne Moore. It's got some good scene, particularly the opening and ending sequences, and it has a few funny lines - totally enjoyable film, though somewhat unremarkable.

I threw Young Guns on while I was trying to find something to do, and I effectively did nothing but watch Young Guns that night. It's a retelling of the Lincoln County War, an event that is particularly recognizable for Old West fans, due to the participation of Billy the Kid and the Regulators. It's an interesting story, well told here by an ensemble cast, featuring the likes of Kiefer Sutherland, Charlie Sheen, Lou Diamond Phillips, Terence Stamp, starring Emilio Estevez as Kid himself. Billy really steals the show - it's a seriously awesome depiction of such an iconic figure. How accurate a portrayal is it? Go figure, but he was just a dynamite character. I had a great time watching this movie. It has a genuinely good sense of humor and the plot, one that I wasn't particularly familiar with, made for a really good story. I'll get around to watching the second one at some point just to see Estevez step into those boots again, but I'm extremely surprised that it even has a sequel, as it really kinda leaves things on an odd note to pick things up from. Still, well worth watching.

19. Griffmeister

Gold Founder

Watched Ready Player One on the plane, I thought that it was a fun movie, but it did have that “ seen this before “ kind of feel to it. I just can’t quite place it. Did think about it today when I went into a Samsung store and they had a demo of the VR Gear with the VR seat. The demo had four seats on one platform that might have limited the action but it was still pretty neat. I can easily see this technology advance more in just a few years to give you that “real” experience.

20. Enies

Enies Famous Member

New venom that came out was pretty good entertainment mindless one at that. Not as bad as RT or others made it out to be and ofc my expectations for comic book movies are rock bottom anyways so i came in with the right mindset in this movie.

i honestly think its the great actors that made the movie enjoyable such as tom hardy. Special effects were pretty terrible though.

im interested in aqua man next.