What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Shadow Fox, May 27, 2016.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

pretty much my approach to any movie i go see these days. I dont do reviews before hand. Critics generally hate scifi/superhero movies and i want to limit spoilers to just the trailers. So baiscally i avoid any reviews and just go see the movies i want to see. about the only one i had to agree with was solo a star wars story. It wasnt bad but it certainly wasnt good. rogue one was definitely a better movie tonally and executed better

I finished jurassic world fallen kingdom last weekend. Fun romp. looking forward to part 3 in a year and half or so. I've been flipping between rogue one and thor ragnoarok on netflix while watching otherstuff this weekend. Havent finished them i this sitting yet. i do have both on bluray of course but while im waiting for another show to start i like to dive in to some stuff i dont know word for word yet.

Oh and im kicking myself for not getting SOLO on bluray while i was at bestbuy this morning :D I didnt realize it was on disc already but i was buying ink and megaman 11 and forgot about after i passed it.

2. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Had a seven hour flight back home so got to watch a few flicks. The first one was The Miracles of the Namiya General Store. I really liked this one, a kind of time travel story about three delinquents that hide out in a long abandoned store after robbing a home. When a letter arrives in the mail slot while they are there the story begins. Apparently the store owner would offer advice to letters left in the mail slot, right up to his death in 1980. Answers to general questions would be posted on the bulletin board outside the store, more personal answers would be left in the milk box on the side. The twist? It's now 2012 and these three have just gotten a letter asking for advice. Thinking it's some kind of joke, one of them decides to answer the letter. As the letters start to go back and forth we learn that somehow they are going from 1980 to the present and back. We also learn of a special connection between the store, the stories and a local orphanage along with everyone we encounter. There are a lot of touching moments and, as you might guess, some redemption in the end.

The second film I watched for maybe five minutes at most. It was a live action version of Gintama. The first few minutes were introduction, demi-human aliens invaded and took control of Earth, humans are forbidden to own weapons and are forced into servitude. Well, the aliens look like people in dollar store Halloween costumes and the acting is horrible. After the intro the narrator says as much so there was hope for improvement. Back to the story and it's still awful. Dropped that one real quick.

The next one was better, a lighter comedy, maybe a little stupid but overall a lot better to watch. This was Neko Ninja, the story of a boy whose ninja father stole a scroll with the secret of shapeshifting from the master of the clan and disappeared. The boy decided to run away in search of his father and encounters a cat that he believes his father has turned into. For the rest of the movie we see the boy, now grown up, still carrying the cat with him everywhere he goes as he is being pursued by members of the clan trying to recover the scroll. This was fun to watch with much better acting and dialog than Gintama.

3. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Takashi Mikes Blade of the Immortal was freaking amazing. 10/10 quite possibly best adaptation of a manga medium ever.

4. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Takashi Mike just does amazing Animu live action in general. Ichi The Killer, Crows Zero and Peach Hip Girl & Sharkskin Man are worth everyones time.

Still need to check his Jojo' Bizarre Adventure adaptation but yeah, BoTI was tits. Kinda samey samey seeing as it was just after the also excellent 13 Assassins and could've done with some more long shots seeing as he had a budget (and the talent) but the dialogue, tone and casting was absolutely spot on.

5. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

Being that its Halloween month and I was laying down fighting a hangover, I decided to watch some old horror flicks.

Pumpkinhead 1 & 2:

Don't know why this series hasn't been remade yet. Its kinda cheesy but the monster itself is pretty cool. Typical conjured monster movie deal. First movie is pretty cheesy but Lance Henriksen is the main guy and the creature effects were good. 2nd movie was way worse but still worth watching.....maybe.

The Fly:

Loved this movie. Good rewatch. Jeff Goldblum was great. Nice updated remake to the original. A must watch if you haven't already seen it yet.

The Prophecy:

I haven't watched this movie in forever. Christopher Walken was awesome. Well he pretty much makes every movie he is in. Who doesn't love him? More of a thriller than horror but the story was good regardless. I definitely recommend it.

6. Enies

Enies Famous Member

as much as i like Ichi the killer I think BoTI one is better tbh. I haven't checked the other movies but i'll check em out now. I always wanted A Sword of the Stranger live action adaptation but this felt very similar to that movie in many ways aside from the immortality.

Yes it was really impressive how he got the tone down so well. It didn't feel like it was even manga based thats how good it was.

The jojo adaptation is out?

7. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Went to the Cinema with some friends, we watched A Star Is Born. I thought it was pretty good.

8. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Animal World

An adaptation of Gambling Apocalypse Kaiji from mainland China, this is a rather odd one, as it's mostly quite faithful, except our hero Kai Si now frequently imagines himself as a heroic clown battling alien-like monsters whenever the chips are down. In practice this has very little bearing on the plot, seemingly existing only to let the filmmakers add more action scenes, demonstrate their (admittedly very impressive) special effecs work and give the trailer people room to convince you it's a superhero movie. Mixed messages aside, it's a little overlong, but entertaining and visually very impressive . It's on Netflix too, so check it out.

Oh Snape likes this.
  9. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Robocop 2:

Sometimes you just have to go back to the classics. Corny dialogue, Robot fights, drugs, and bad cameras. Still love it. 10000% better than the wannabe remake shit they came out with.

Oh Snape likes this.
  10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Have you seen him in star trek into darkness? He does a very good job as the hell bent admiral.

I saw BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY yesterday.

I liked it. I thought they did a good job of mixing the personal life and band life. It didnt seem to dwell too long on one part or the other. The flow was good.

I loved the guitar version of the twentieth century fox theme! The live aid performance of course was exceptional. Did anyone notice the crowd did a wave? :D

So were the actors who played may the guitarist and the others actual musicians? If not they did a hell of a good job of faking it.

I want them to rerelease u2s rattle and hum after seeing this!

Oh Snape likes this.
  11. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Watched the remake of Papillion, I thought they did a good job with this movie. It was different enough from the original that it didn't seem stale yet it was able to stay true to the story. I liked the prologue , too. I don't remember much of anything being at the end of the original, although it has been a while since I've seen it.

Oh Snape likes this.
  12. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Easily the best movie I've seen in a while is Capernaum (Chaos in Arabic). Caught it in the film festival today cause I heard that it's been greatly received and truly so. The film is a peach. It's about a 12 year old Lebanese kid who, while serving a five-year sentence for a violent crime, sues his parents for neglect.

Sony Pictures has got the distribution rights but it'll be a while before you can catch this in the theaters. Only option to watch it now is some sort of film festival near you.

13. Enies

Enies Famous Member

was in the mood for anime adaptation and Netflix has been delivering. Saw both Initial D and FMA live action. Was surprised at how much i enjoyed both immesnely. initial D was....well almost spot on as the anime and thats probably because there isnt much more to it from the cars and settings. And the actors were fairly good enough for it so it was entertaining.

FMA was also pretty amazing. Yes its extremely hard to adapt it into live action but the effectiveness of it is what was surprising and if you're a fan of the show i don't see how you wouldn't enjoy this take it. dont take it seriously its a lot of fun.

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I didnt want to search for my mst3k post so ill put it here:

Next thursday! Aka Thanksgiving day in the US. Cant wait :) and a modern movie with pacific rim getting riffed. Too bad i already have ator tje fighting eagle on rifftrax but it will be new jokes with a new cast.

15. Dunn x Dolo

Silver Founder

Yesterday while working from home I watched:

Fistful of Dollars:

Old Clint Eastwood western when he was in his prime. Westerns don't really get better than these so if you need to watch a good one then you definitely need to watch Sergio Leone's "The Man with No Name" trilogy with Clint as they are very good.

Tombstone:

Pretty decent western with Kurt Russell, Val Kilmer, and some other populars names telling the story of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holiday. Nothing really noteworthy but a decent watch anyway.

16. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

Finally watched the Hereditary and boy was the ending awkwardly hilarious. I shouldn't have gone into this expecting a horror movie. Toni Collette's character was great though, no doubt, but it didn't really feel like a good fright of a movie.

Naked old smiling people. Lol. Some of those images were cute meme material.