What was the last movie you watched?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by Shadow Fox, May 27, 2016.

1. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

Finally took some time to go watch Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse and Aquaman.

Spider-Man is an impressive movie. Loved the direction of it. Kinda wish there was more to be honest.
    Aquaman is not a terrible movie, but unfortunately if you've kept up with most Marvel movies, it won't impress much. It has a lot of similarities to Black Panther. Like if you remix some of the characters and motivations, you basically have Wet Black Panther.

2. jelly_lover

jelly_lover Visitor

Ralph breaks the Internet. for some reason i prefer this movie over the first wreck it ralph movie, although most ppl like the opposite

3. Gaff

Gaff Za Warudo
    Silver Founder Plus

Bohemian Rhapsody

The story of Queen's early years through to their legendary performance at Live Aid, I would agree with the general consensus that Rami Malek is fantastic as Freddie Mercury, but it’s hard to get away from the film's often dubious historical accuracy and, even setting that aside it's also hampered by an uninteresting first act.

As a piece of pure drama, the first half hour lacks any real conflict - the band's rise to fame seems fairly straightforward - and it only really warms up once we get into the 1980s and the cracks in their working relationship begin to show. The rest of the film is more engaging, but much of what happens has been fictionalised or at least rearranged for the sake of narrative convenience. The film never explicitly claims to be a completely accurate version of events, but if the critical reaction is anything to go by, it feels like it ought to be preceded by one of those ‘most of this actually happened’ type clauses.

It’s tricky, I suppose. 24 Hour Party People handled the blurring of musical fact and fiction more effectively, by breaking the fourth wall in its narration to highlight things that were disputed, but I dare say not every film can make that work. Perhaps the story of Queen was never ideally suited for the cinema? It's tempting to wonder if the film might have worked better had they managed to stick to the original plan for a biopic of Mercury himself, rather than trying to cover the entire band.

4. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I usually never watch dramas but Queen certainly tempted me. I'm glad I saw it. I'll say it certainly was a bit uneven as far as tension/caring for the individuals. I do think it however did mostly focus on Mercury. You never saw what the others did outside of the band.

But of course the crowning achievement is the concert at the end :) They even had a crowd wave going! :D

I just recently picked up Wonder Woman, Spideman Homecoming and the Mission Impossible collection. I have seen all of these

5. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

I rented The Super the other night and wished I hadn’t read the synopsis before watching it. In the synopsis the movie is portrayed as a mystery about an ex-cop that takes a job as a super in an apartment complex where people start mysteriously vanishing. I thought this would be interesting, I like mystery movies, maybe there’s a conspiracy or some common bond between the missing people or something like that. No, it’s nothing like that, it’s a freaking horror movie which becomes perfectly clear in the opening scenes. While I’m not a big fan of the horror genre I will watch one on occasion, but I’d like it better if I knew that’s what it was supposed to be in the first place. Once I got past the disappointment it was okay, just not what I was expecting to watch.