What Would Discovery of Life Outside Earth Mean?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Red_Dragon, May 14, 2018.

1. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

Thoughts?

Had this conversation earlier with a coworker and was wondering what your take is.

2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Thank fuck GRR Martin hasn't finished his 'books' yet.

It's the only thing stopping us from being plasmad by th grey bold little shits.

[citation needed]

3. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

More pain in the ass diplomacy.

4. Shi

Shi The Aspirer
    Staff Member Administrator Platinum Founder

Topics like this really excites me.

I think discovering life outside of Earth will give us a huge amount of knowledge. Just being able to confirm life exists will allow us to better answer the Drake Equation and the stipulations of the Fermi Paradox.

If we found life in the sub surface oceans of Europa, we can infer that if a celestial object is capable of harboring life, we can deduce that life is pretty common. The Planets in the habitable zone of Trappist-1, for example, would signal to us that all of those Planets harbor life, if they weren't tidally locked and have been scorched to death.

Something else that could potentially give us pause too, is the possibility that even Venus might have life in the form of floating microbes within the clouds. If there is condensation in the air, there could be all sorts of life.

The possibilities would be endless.

Red_Dragon and yoda313 like this.
  5. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

YOLO = MY BITCHEZ/MY HOES * BAD THINGS^2. Can't go wrong with the Drake equation.

I wonder what kind of effects it'll have on major world religions and things like racism if life we find is intelligent. Also I think Humans will eventually leave this planet (necessity or hubris lol) and the break through in space travel is gonna be one of those eureka moments. This kind of stuff might not be sci fi for too long. Basically we need another peen measuring contest in race to Mars to give hope to any breakthroughs this century.

yoda313 likes this.
  6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I think unless its like a scifi movie where it can walk and talk and shoot laser beams at us most people probably wont care. In a world where you have to irrefutable knock you over the head type evidence to convince people a simple snapshot of some grainy indistinguishable bacteria on mars or one of the jovial moons wont be a major ground shaking event like we all think it would be.

I dont want to sound cynical but its hard not to be. Without belittling anyone just look at the flat earth movement. I wont say anything more about that.

Sure therell be those who are shook up about it. It would be great if it could be a carl sagan type evolutionary/revolutionary type moment in history. Perhaps in the long run it will bring about some positive change knowing we arent alone.

I love watching space stuff. I follow frasir cain on youtube along with john michael godier and the curious droid. I just know so many people could care less about space stuff. Id love nasa to have a larger budget and more resources. Im just glad we have what we do. Thanks to space x and the European space union and other contributing countries we are making tremendous strides. Maybe just not as fast as some of us would like.

7. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

Don't you know? We live in a cosmic egg man.

8. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

It's pretty much a given that there's life out there somewhere, possibly more intelligent than us. Are you referring more to life in our own solar system? That would be exciting news with a lot of opportunity for research. What type of organism would live in some of the environs being questioned? Mars may not be completely dead, Venus has a sweet spot, other moons may be able to host something, all of these are within reach of exploratory vessels that we have the ability to build now and can get results within the span of a lifetime. Pretty cool stuff if we don't destroy our own planet in the meantime.

9. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I agree man, I think this would be one of the most amazing feats in human history if this happens. This will be larger than any Moon Landing, Past Wars, Past Inventions, etc.

I think before 2100, people will indeed be living outside of Earth. Maybe I've been watching too much Anime, but I feel like with the Wealth that some of these guys have and the possibility that may be able to colonize somewhere outside of earth would be something many couldn't say no to. Just the thought of a human living outside of earth is incredible.

Recently I've also been binge watching Space Stuff. I was looking at some things the other day about the Largest moon on Saturn and how it is very, very similar to earth. The entire surface is like Earth but instead of there being lakes of water, it's like bodies of Nitrogen, very cool stuff.

You sound like Bill Maher here with the destroying our planet comment ;) But, when I think of Life outside of earth not just human like life but even animal type life. What would that be/look like? Such amazing possibilities.

10. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Red_Dragon - cool. I do like the notion that their could be life that could metabolize in methane that one of the moons has in abundance.

11. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I watch the History Channel. I'm already enlightened by otherworldly beings.

yoda313 likes this.
  12. The_Archangel

The_Archangel Active Member

Multiverse hypothesis is actually pretty interesting.( To be honest, only been researching the topic because i'm watching Supernatural's 13th season)

The inhabitants, environment etc. of a separate universe would be perceived as 'extraterrestrial', to us humans in our universe. They would be different obviously but would the laws be different?

We're still studying black holes and literally god knows where those go.

Can't wait for the first human settlement on Mars btw.

13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

It should be:

Extreversal

Not extreterrestrial :D

14. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

Religions would lose some followers that were sitting near the fence, but other then that they would simply adapt.

God used to be in the clouds you, when we soared through them and found no such thing they moved him above the skies, when we went above, they moved him outside of this reality. It will do the same with it's other aspects.

15. Shi

Shi The Aspirer

We all live in a hologram. God is the programmer.

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

You mean the architect (matrix refrece there :)).

Shi likes this.
  17. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

He needs to release some patches and at least one major update.

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Wait you mean we're on version 1.0 still?

Currently watching Frasier cain :) hes talking about the fermi parafox right now on the newest episode.

19. Oh Snape

Staff Advisory

Yeah that show spent more time trying to be smart than trying to be funny.

20. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

Thing is, before we could ever really have diplomatic relationships with people from another planet, the Earth would have to sort their own mess out. How can a divided planet ever reach out to other civilisations?

Maybe there are people out there on other planets who are not too different from ourselves. It would be highly ignorant of us to think that we were the most intelligent species in the entire universe.