whats the most impressive place you've travelled to outside of your country?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Enies, Jan 8, 2019.

1. Enies

Enies Famous Member

whats the most impressive place you have visisted or if you have work experience outside internationally best place you've lived or visisted in.

2. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

[​IMG]

I went to Gibraltar when I was doing work in Spain.

3. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Impressive can be a subjective quality, what sort of thing impresses you? I like older buildings and other structures that may also have interesting features in their design or purpose. Of course in that respect I can’t really say that I have a favorite, either. When I think of Ireland, I remember seeing countless castles everywhere that I went. Some in disrepair, some in total ruin while others are in various states of restoration for public viewing, hotels and private residences. On another front, I am amazed at what the Romans left across much of Europe and Great Britain, either in the many structures that are still standing as well as many that have been buried and forgotten for centuries. On the way to Sorrento, I believe it was, there is a Roman stone bridge that is still in use. The catacombs in Paris were part of a Roman mining operation. Of course in later years their attraction comes from the bodies dumped down the various vent shafts whose bones were later meticulously stacked up forming human walls. Pompeii was impressive seeing as how well the buildings were preserved with paintings and mosaic tiles stil showing their former beauty. Then there’s things like the York Ministry in England that was built, perhaps unknowingly, on the foundations of an older Roman church, foundations that were insufficient for the new church which started to break apart. The building was saved by careful excavation and reinforcement in the basement while also leaving some of the original Roman stonework that is not critical on display.

These are just a few of many examples that can be found in just about any country. So again, what impresses you?

4. tripplej

tripplej Well-Known Member

If you like seeing old architecture, most of Europe, especially UK, France, Germany, Italy, etc. are worth checking out.
    I also took once the palace on wheels tour in northern India. Basically a 7 day train ride which also acts as your hotel. Lot of fun and highly recommended.

5. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I was sent to outer space.

To find another race.

6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I've been to several European countries, but I really liked Prague. The architecture is really nice. I love history and castles and stuff.

#6 Shannon Apple, Jan 21, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  7. Cameron Taylor

I've only left the United States a couple times, and that was the two times I've been on a cruise in the Caribbean. So, I've traveled outside the US, but you don't spend a whole lot of time on land elsewhere when you're on a cruise. The vast majority of time you spend on the boat. Still, I was able to see the Bahamas, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, Jamaica, etc. I'd say that Puerto Rico was the most interesting, just because it didn't come across as a total tourist trap.

8. Seshi

Seshi Newbie

The most impressive places for me that I've visited were Costa Rica, getting to ride somewhat wild horses in the mountains and teetering on the edge of massive cliff sides, was impressive. Mad excited about that still. Got to see some huge waterfalls and swim in clear waters where everything could be seen, and have beach monkeys try and steal my bag lunch from my backpack - literally.

Then there was the mountains in Switzerland, the only place I've been in Europe that was hard to figure out. I spent more time wondering around there than all other places, but the scenery was worth it.

I'll update with some picture when I come across them.

9. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

Been all over the world and there's so many different countries and cultures each with different things to impress you. But I am not impressed by large buildings are neat architecture of any kind. I don't really recall anything that I've seen leaving a lasting impression on me.

If I'd have to choose something it would have to be a place where modern age and history meet and give you something more than what the naked eye can see. That can make a mundane structure or landmark become incredibly imposing.