Where to start?

Discussion in 'Books, Comics & Graphic Novels' started by Shadow Fox, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I have been adding a lot of new books to my collection lately. I have recently acquired a lot of classics. Dracula, Genghis Khan, Catcher in the Rye, tom sawyer, complete collection of grimms fairy tales, count of monte cristo, and uncle toms cabin. I have not read any of these yet, and I do not even know where to really start. i have such a hard time trying to find sometime to sit down and read since I am such a pathetic facebook junkie. I have spent every single day all day for the last year and a half on facebook lol. I kind of want to get a hard cover copy of Lolita and start with that first, but I want a really old copy of it, I also want to find it in a used book store first. Just something about hard cover old books that I find much more appealing than the new ones that are soft cover, or have those paper outers to them. Maybe I am being too picky? Anyway, I wonder where I should start? Ideas? I am thinking maybe Catcher or Genghis Khan by Harold Lamb or dracula.

2. Struggler

Struggler Sentient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Lolita is only about 60 years old, so there aren't any really old copies. It's not an old book. It's also a really creepy book, so if you must read it (don't), then don't do it in public.

As for most of the books you've mentioned, don't get hung up on thinking you should ever bother reading anything the general public considers "classics." Most are pretty bland.

Of the books you've named, I'd suggest only the Grimm's stories and the Genghis Khan book. I read that for a class a few years back and it was pretty interesting. I wouldn't recommend the others. Especially not Catcher in the Rye. It's complete garbage, about a whiny brat, and only controversial for it's time, and barely at that.

Read things more aligned with your interests. Not just things people think are good simply because they've been told they are.

#2 Struggler, Apr 29, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  3. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

You've not read Dracula? Well start with that then.

And you should definitely read Lolita in the park wearing a trenchcoat and shades.

Shadow Fox likes this.
  4. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister The Mangled One

Here is where I would go based on my own experiences and interests.

The Great Gatsby
    I read it once before and it never clicked with me. Then I read it a second time and suddenly everything made sense and it was far, far more enjoyable.

The Gulag Archipelago
    Very haunting work that was banned for a long time due to it's content which exposed government cruelties.

Self-explanatory

Brave New World
    Seems like an opposite view from 1984, but read both and compare them to many events in modern times to see how those two realities merge into a cohesive unit.

The Scarlet Letter
    I read this one by myself. I actually enjoyed it, mostly because I like the writing style of the author, Nathaniel Hawthorne.

A Clockwork Orange
    I absolutely fucking LOVE this book! I have the highest quality of the book that can be obtained with it's pages laced with gold, I love it that much.

Shadow Fox likes this.
  5. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I have both of those items! Thanks for the tip!

6. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

I second Mr. Mister's recommendation of Nathaniel Hawthorne's works. His style of writing really get's my attention.

Shadow Fox likes this.