Which movie fan obsessions drive you crazy the most?

Discussion in 'Film & Television' started by yoda313, Jun 7, 2018.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I have three:

1 - the star wars prequels are the worst movies ever made.

2 - the dark knight is the greatest movie ever made

3 - there hss to be a zack snyder JUSTICE LEAGUE cut and it must be amazing

The third one is just months old and is driving me crazy already. When most people admit snyder screwed up the dceu why does a subset persist in wanting to see more???? I know i know fan is short for fanatic. And i get people like different things but tjis just bugs me, youll probably never get a snyder cut if it exists. And im sure that's part of whats driving this subset. Everyone loves a good conspiracy. But my god let the snyder dceu die once and for all.

Number one is obviously patently untrue. Anyone who has seen mst3k knows what im talking about :D besides which half of it is revisionist history. At the time the phantom menace hit the highest gross movie of all time at the time or nearly got there. Even lucas himself said that he couldn't make them if they didnt pay for the next one. So to say they were horrible through and through and nobody liked them is historicaly inaccurate.

And number two is just a pet peeve. Why are dark movies "better" than fun or rollicking movies? What about the original rocky or ghostbusters or any marvel mcu movie? You cant say any mcu movie is a dire gothic introspective art noir piece yet tgey do extraordinarily well. Look i get people want different and tgey want peril or some "imperfect" superhero. AND IM NOT SAYING I DISLIKE DARK KNIGHT OR THINK ITS A BAD MOVIE. I just dont think its something better than an all time great like casablanca or sound of music or the like.

So those are three of my movie fan theories or LAWS if you will that drive me mad when i see them. Do you agree with any of these points? What about yours? Which fandom drives you nuts?

Oh two more:

You can like star wars as much as star trek, i do.

And yes JOHN WICK IS PERFECT. Sorry had to put that in there :D

2. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Member Moderator

Darth Jar Jar u are.

3. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Ha ha, now you reminded me of a cruise I went on a couple of years ago. On every cruise your room steward will leave a folded towel animal on the bed as part of the nightly routine. One night I'd swear the animal was Jar Jar Binks.

Back to the obsession part, I had always thought it got a little ridiculous when a movie went into countless sequels, queue Rocky, Die Hard, etc. here. Then I realized that this was nothing new, just an extension of the older serialized shows that would be shown at the theaters. Perils of Pauline and Buck Rodgers would be on going shorts shown on the big screen. A real popular movie would get multiple sequels, especially if it was based on a book series, or consisted of a popular entertainer or team of entertainers. So that gives us the likes of Laurel and Hardy, the Marx Brothers, The Thin Man, Sherlock Holmes ( this one keeps coming back ), Charlie Chan, etc. etc. until you get to the present day. I guess I never really thought about it until that one comes up that just seems like too much. I suppose it's as Yoda says, as long as there's money to be made ( or a contractual agreement ) these will continue to be made.

4. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

Thanks to Disney and the new movies, this is no longer true.

Scruffie likes this.
  5. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Oh Snape - its a me :D

@Griffmeister - they even joked about sequelitis in back to the future 3. Check the billboards at the drive in before he goes back to 1885. They are all sequels in 55 :D that was in the commentary I believe.

@Struggler - well their not the greatest but i did have fun. Though i didn't agree with the direction it went and it was tooooo looooong.

6. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

I also think the disdain for the Prequel trilogy is incredibly overblown. Phantom Menace is a thoroughly decent movie, and the duel on Naboo was undebatably the best fight scene in the franchise. Frankly, as far as I'm concerned, it didn't even have a competitor until The Last Jedi's sequence with the Praetorian guards, which I still don't think actually beats it. There are some interesting ideas in Attack of the Clones, but I will not be the one to defend it as a film - it is super boring, the colors are incredibly drab, rendering it pretty uninteresting visually, and not a lot actually happens. And Star Wars' track record of killing off and/or wasting their cool Bounty Hunters continues. It's a shame that Dooku didn't get to do more as an antagonist - Christopher Lee deserved a lot more. Revenge of the Sith has at least two genuinely great scenes and is actually pretty good. I don't have a major issue with any Star Wars movie, outside of AOTC, as I mentioned.

Without getting into any of the issues with the individual films, I wanted to mention the DCEU movies and just how ugly they turn out. The Dark Knight trilogy's success has to get some of the blame for this idea that DC movies have to be so tonally miserable that you start rooting for the villains just so the suffering ends sooner, but these films are, in a literal sense, darker than those movies ever were. Snyder's inability to understand how important color is for the guy who literally wears bright red and blue tights is its own issue. Superman is supposed to be triumphant, colorful and loud. These movies needed a different kind of hero; one who could protect the color saturation dial from Zack Snyder's grubby mitts. Man of Steel, in particular, has this brown tinge that permeates the entire movie and makes it rather unpleasant to look at. The films themselves, or the ones that I've seen anyway, range from bad to moderately decent, but none of them look any better.

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Spot on for everything you said. Though you got to give aotc props for yoda v dooku! As ridiculous as it is that was fun and totally unexpected :)

8. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

The animated series papers over some of the prequels suckage but they're still shit movies. Also, Return Of The Jedi is underrated. Just replace the ewoks with wookie mercs and its as good as the rest. There's also a currently running Vader comic by Marvel that might end up saving the character after all. Its set after Revenge Of The Sith and has Vader hunting down remaining Jedi, rebels and general low lifes. Someone gets choked out or decapitated every other page. The 2015 mini series has some awesome artwork as well.

And the DC universe will need to be rebooted. Good grief what a mess. You can watch the trailers to these movies and be uptodate. The movies are ok but holy crap are they dreary and miserable aside from maybe Wonder Women. There's always time to ruin Doomsday.

9. Struggler

Struggler Sapient Meat
    Platinum Founder

You mean the fight with the choreography so bad that they needed to edit out the holes?

[​IMG]

Notice the disappearing knife lol

Rey has literal plot armor, clearly.
    [​IMG]

10. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

Even with that flaw, which is glaring, no doubt, I'd still consider it one of the best of the franchise.

It is weird to think that none of the stunt coordinators or choreographers noticed the issue. It seems like they could've at least removed the knife from his hand while he was out of focus in the background and edit it so that he drops it. There's actually a pretty good spot to make that change visibly while Kylo is fighting in the foreground, which makes it a bit sillier. His hand would still be out there doing nothing, but a villain being overconfident is a little less ridiculous than Rey, I dunno, hitting him with a Jedi mind-trick to make him forget he had two weapons. As is, it's a really strange mistake, and once you've seen it, it doesn't really go away, but the rest of the scene is still solid.

11. ReymousFumes

ReymousFumes Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Nerd
    Contributor

None of those mentioned in the opening post really bothered me much because 1) I'm not a Star Wars fan, so I'm indifferent towards the prequels, 2) I'm one of those who thinks The Dark Knight did something revolutionary, and 3) don't really care much about the DCEU, Snyder or his movies that isn't Watchmen.

Rather, my pet peeve in regards to fan obsession has always been and is still... MCU obsession and the glorification of its quality. The fan obsession of Iron Man comes in second, especially when he overshadowed much of Cap's own movie in Civil War.

12. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

But you do at least admit the mcu is better then the stillborn dceu?

Sure i know the dark knight made its impact on cinema. But my point is there are Lots of groundbreaking movies in every genre. From 2001 to star wars a new hope to wizard of oz or the matrix for moee recent fair.

And like i said im not diminishing dark knight as a movie just its god like position in some fandoms. And i know why its just not my greatest of all time. I know its kind of contradictory and i dont want to put down a fan base - except any misguided dceu slappy, it just gets to me thats all.

13. Oh Snape

Staff Member Moderator

I've fallen asleep at least twice whilst watching 2001. Amazing movie and book. I should start watching it in the morning.

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I think my mom said a first version was something like 10 hours :D be thankful for whatever the final runtime actually is :D

15. ReymousFumes

Contributor

I mean, I get that, but it seems to me that the opposite of what you're saying rings more true now than ever - that people are more willing to put down The Dark Knight than praise it.

I mean, the great thing about it wasn't even how it compares to other films, but what did for superhero films - just like what Raimi's 2002 Spider-Man did for superhero films, create an authentic superhero movie that looked like its comic book counterpart (as opposed to the edgy X-Men flick mocking yellow spandex and skipping its origin story).

16. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Actually the yellow spandex line was hilarious! And i thought the original xmen was lauded for ushering in the current era of live action superhero movies? So much better then the batman and robin garbage.

And i guess its the hole "overrated" edge that irks people. For some its an insult to not agree on everything about a movie you love. And trust me i get that. I mean i love uhf and bill and teds Excellent adventures and mst3k. Absolutely cult level entries.

So im not trying to pick a fight just airing a grievance. Like those who think the godfather is the greatest evrr but if youre not a crime drama lover your not gonna agree. I do love super hero movirs but just not super dark ones. And i do like Christian bales batman. It just can be oppressive at times. Sometimes you want cheesy rodger moore james bond one lines instead of "real world" daniel craig no matter how good the new stuff may be. Oh and ive finally accepted craig as bond but i still miss brosnan and the older q gadget laden bonds,....

17. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Actually, X-Men's avoidance from being cheesy and corny (despite it being a comic book movie about adults running around beating people up) was probably what drove the superhero era towards the gritty and morose tone you were criticizing in your post, as opposed to Spider-Man, which shamelessly looked like a '60s comic book came to life ("We'll meet again, Spider-Man!" the Goblin uttered as he flew away). There was absolutely no irony in Spider-Man criticizing how a comic book movie isn't supposed to look like a comic book movie. You have people called Cyclops, Sabertooth, Iceman, Storm, and Wheels! Oh right, that last one's Profession X. My bad. It's a comic book movie! Just embrace it! MCU sure did a few years down the road.

18. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I can see that point. I guess for me mcu does balance it pretty well. Id say xmen was more serious than dark. And im not totally down on them being more serious just not totally oppressive. Oh and i have all the xmen movies on bluray :p though yeah xmen last stand is pretty rough. And the stupid producers were in the commentary saying oh we did a lot of practical effects unlike lucas in the prequels - my god they had people disappearing via cgi! And im sure ilm did a bulk of the special effects for them :D sheesh and the prequels werent all cgi. Watch the docs!

19. ReymousFumes

Contributor

Well, let's agree to disagree then. I wouldn't call The Dark Knight "oppressive" nor would I compare X-Men's school of seriousness to The Dark Knight's. They are very different things like apples and oranges. The X-Men "seriousness" I was referring to was the sacrifice of yellow spandex for dull and monotone combat suits that have no style or individuality in any shape or form. Movies are a visual medium, I should be visually excited. On the other hand, Batman was always wearing black (even in his Adam West days, he's wearing grey), and he's not meant to be "bright and colorful" like the X-Men were in their 'Uncanny' days. Again, apples and oranges... I'd have to spend the whole day explaining (and researching) the conceptual difference between the X-Men and Batman, and why X-Men's vibrant colors (and every other superheroes in Marvel) had a point to it (escapism), so I'll just drop it.

20. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Sure thing. And like i said fandom isnt meant to be rational. we all have our preferences even when they are contradictory. I still like seeing explosions even if im not a 100% in tune with the given flick.