Why does Netflix's anime selection kinda suck?

Discussion in 'Anime' started by wesleyv1, Dec 3, 2018.

1. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Something I've come to notice with Netflix is that they don't always have the full series of a show. This is a problem mostly for the anime they offer but I've seen it on other shows Netflix offers aswell and then there's the fact that they don't always have a dub for shows that are known to have a dub. ( an odd case being saiki season 1 having a dub but season 2 not having a dub) Long story short, is there a reason why a streaming would do this? Is it a licensing issue? Or do they just not choose to over certain seasons and dubs?

2. Neji195

Neji195 Not your average "Newbie"

I'm not completely sure but knowing the streaming business a little, it might have something to do with licensing, contracts or money. Netflix really fishes for what their majority viewers tune in to, and how they would benefit from it. I've always been curious about this too because when I tuned into Pokemon a few years back it just stopped mid season and I was confused, but it could be a number of things. It's sad really.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I imagine it will only get worse. Since sony bought funimation I wonder if there will be more fragmentation. Will they push for more series?

4. Kuze

Kuze 『WANTED』
    Contributor

You mean like they have the 1st season but not the 2nd one? Prolly because some other streaming site nabbed it before them. Or maybe pre-existing contracts for streaming rights and/or distribution with people other than Netflix. Or maybe Netflix got outbid. Can be a number of reasons.

On a different note, if streaming sites happen to be a part of the production committee, it's obvious they'll have streaming rights to it as well.

5. wesleyv1

This much i figured. It is original content so it makes sense that whatever streaming service it plays on is the one it stays on

6. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

IIRC, unless it’s a show where the episodes are constantly pumped out, separate seasons are practically treated like separate shows. It also gets even more finicky when different seasons are made by different studios.

I really enjoy Minami-Ke, but the four seasons were made by three different studios, so that just makes it really annoying.

7. wesleyv1

Expl
    Explains why they only have three seasons of bleach and one season of fairytail

8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

It's a licensing thing for sure. Sometimes, a streaming site like Netflix might not be willing to pay above a certain sum for a second season depending on how the first season performed, so another streaming service who is willing to pay more gets the rights. It sucks, but you can't really blame Netflix for that. Makes sense for them. Although the competitor is propably just hoping to snag some of Netflix's audience in doing that despite the fact the show wasn't doing fantastically. XD

Another reason could be that Netflix didn't order another season because the first season performed badly, so the studio sells the exclusive rights out to another company.

9. 5oul Crusher

5oul Crusher Newbie

With Netflix, they are competing with other anime providing platforms for dedicated anime viewers. Presumably the contracts Netflix provides aren't particularly lucrative for studios, or Netflix aren't even offering contracts due to the market size and demand. From my perspective, Netflix is aiming for platform "original" content which conflicts with most anime studio's business models.

My guess is most entrenched anime fans have already got their venues, so market is small without Netflix spending a lot of money (there are a lot of individual anime studios from Netflix's perspective.)

Maybe Netflix doesn't want to encroach on this cultural capital? Or maybe Netflix is looking to get the licence to a few massive series which will have the most draw for the least cost.

Personally I like to watch Bojack Horseman and I like to be able to put on the IT Crowd in order to pacify whatever wily audience I might have. And I lost interest following recent anime series several years back. So... I'm tangenting, amp't I. I refuse to delete.

Ummm. I'm sure someone above put this better than I did. Bojack is my sunshine and I ought to watch more Jojo's is my creed.