Discussion Will you buy a PS5?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Daniel, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Daniel

Daniel Newbie

I have seen some discussion around the web about the PlayStation 5 that is supposed to be coming out sometime in 2020. Do you think you'll be ready to buy another console?

2. Mr. Mister

Mr. Mister Believe In Death

Honestly, I would venture a 'No' for that inquiry. I have not bought a console since the PS3 and Xbox360. I did get a Switch, but Nintendo is it's own powerhouse so that isn't really a surprise. I just don't bother with the Sony and Microsoft variations of consoles. I have a Switch, two 3DS's, and I have a gaming PC that I spent a lot of money bringing up so I'm good as far as gaming goes. Maybe when I get the money, I'll upgrade my PC, but I don't need to buy any of the new consoles being offered in the next few years unless something amazing and mind blowing is released as an exclusive on them. Even then, I wouldn't bet too much on it.

3. Kuze

Kuze 『Ole Ole Ole』
    Contributor

Most definitely. Unless I finally end up buying my first ever console (I'm almost there with that money) in the shape of a Ps4 Slim. Then it's a no.

4. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

If PS5 is backwards compatible and can play all games from Ps1 on up then Id really consider it. If not then fuck no. I just got my PS4 at Christmas so Ill enjoy that while I can until I feel like shelling out the money for something else.

5. Daniel

Daniel Newbie

I would most certainly not give your hopes up on backwards compatibility on any new generation consoles. The most you will get is downloadable content so you can repurchase and download old games.

6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I don't think I will. Not in the near future anyway. Usually when they first come out, they are overpriced hype. I used to play exclusively on console, but more recently have been playing games on my computer.

I sold both my consoles four years ago to help fund the purchase of my new macbook. I was starting a new job at the time, and needed a better machine. I knew with the commute, I'd have very little time for gaming anyway. Always intended to buy a new console once I got settled in the job and had money again, but time was an issue then. I guess, we'll see.

7. Dunn x Dolo

Dunn x Dolo King of the Chatroom
    Silver Founder

That's my point. If I can download and play ps1,2 and 3 games on the PS5 then cool. I can download and play Xbox and Xbox 360 games on the Xbox one, there shouldn't be a reason PS cant do the same.

8. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

I will when uncharted and the tales of games are only available on the next system. Until then i have more then enough games to go through.

Oh unless the psvr2 is ps5 only and has some killer game like a sao title?...

9. ALToxicity

ALToxicity The great and powerful Peridot

I might end up buying one if it's backwards compatible or has the option to download previous gen titles. I missed out on a lot of good ps4 exclusives, but I don't want to buy a console when the next one is right around the corner.

10. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I keep all of my old consoles, so the whole backwards compatibility thing is kind of useless for me.

Like every time a game console comes out, I look at what exclusive games interest me, and the overall number of exclusive games that interest me. It's sort of why I've held off on buying a Switch. I own a PS3, Wii U, and a PS4, so I just knocked off the large majority of the current Switch library right there. While financially I could afford it, to me, I couldn't justify dropping $300 on a console to play some big name JRPG that's also coming out on the PS4, a console I already own you know?

If the previous Playstation console launches are an indicator, the first couple of years would be pointless for me, as the large percentage of the library is going to either be dual released on PS4 and PS5, or it's going to be a re-release of a PS4 game.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

It's the aforementioned aaa titles that will be the pushing point. god of war, uncharted, rachet and clank. Those are the "system sellers" that push console adoption. Aside from the must haves the early years are the hardest. That's when they are still testing the hardware and feature sets. Heavenly Sword anyone? (granted not a bad game but case in point with the ps3 motion control feature that was qucikly ditched - on the six axis that is).

12. Scruffie

Scruffie Pro Tarantula Bro-Fister
    Editor

They have said yes to backward compatibility, but it didnt work well on the original ps3 and they dropped it, so well see.

I usually wait for them to iron out some bugs before buying a new generation console, so i will get one, but not straight away

13. Grungie

Contributor

No, I understand that, I just mentioned the reason why I wouldn’t buy a PS5 at launch. A good bit of those AAA titles will most likely be on PS4 as well, so I’ll take the cheaper route and go for the PS4 option.

14. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Grungie - wonder if they'll enable that save pass (share saves) thing they did for ps4 and vita it would make it easier to buy a late ps4 game and then get it on a ps5 classic release.

15. Daniel

Daniel Newbie

It was to my understanding that you could do this with the PlayStation Network already if you paid for PS+ or something. So it is odd that you can't get it but then again I haven't owned a Playstation since PS2.

16. Oh Snape

Oh Snape House Bantsratheon
    Staff Advisory

Gods no, lol.

Well, unless they used this track to launch it...

Top 3 instrumental of all time. Of. All. Time.

Daniel and Dunn x Dolo like this.
  17. Enies

Enies Famous Member

Will always support sony regardless. They have world class technologies in their labs they just need money to make them a reality.

18. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

I have a PS4 Pro and put about 90 hours in it. I got the Kingdom Hearts series, Star Ocean 5 and Star Ocean 4 remaster. I got the system for Kingdom Hearts 3, which should be out now. I haven't gotten it yet. PS4 is not even connected right now.

I play most games on PC, because honestly they all just run better on that. There's only a handful of games that are console only. Probably going to play Horizon Zero Dawn as well some day. I gifted that to a good friend of mine so I'll very likely be able to play it without paying for it.

Will I get a PS5? It's very unlikely unless there's a title on there that I cannot play on PC and I just must have. For now I just have my PS4 controller hooked up to my PC and play the games there. I even bought games I own on PS3 for PC so it's just easier.

19. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

When I look back at the NES/SNES/PS/N64/GENESIS era, it's amazing how great the games that came out at the end of their life span were. The development process was mature and devs were doing really cool things on limited hardware. Part of me wonders if modern consoles wouldn't benefit from artificial/voluntary hardware limitations. The other part of me thinks that maybe the spirit of game development has changed more than the hardware...

If it had good exclusive games, probably I would get a PS5. I bought a PS4 for Bloodborne, everything beyond that has been icing on the cake. Also I think they really nailed the PS controller with the dualshock 4. It's wireless, it's the perfect size, I can plug my headphones right into it, it's got a nice heft to it that the dualshock3 was lacking, the touch pad buttons are easily accessible and extend the controller mapping. Even on PC, when I want to use a controller I plug in my dualshock 4, it just feels like the best game pad for me.

Generally with consoles I wait until the second generation comes out. This gives the platform time to build a game library, decrease in price, and work out the majority of the hardware bugs.

Enies likes this.
  20. Grungie

Contributor

I think there's also just drastic differences on how game consoles worked then vs now. Now it just feels like all you need to do is treat it like running a game on a lower spec computer and just lower the graphics setting, whereas back then you had to be legit creative because the process was just vastly different. I saw a video on how David Wise had to be creative on just getting the music to Donkey Kong Country to work was crazy. Hearing about how he had to get the audio to work was mind blowing to me, because now it's just importing an audio file.