Discussion Will you buy a PS5?

Discussion in 'Video Games' started by Daniel, Jan 24, 2019.

1. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@this guy - launch titles are still light compared to later in life games regardless of the era. Uncharted is a great example. The leap from one to two is incredible from graphics to story telling (even though u1 wasstill good itsjust dwarfed be u2).

2. Red_Dragon

Red_Dragon Established Member
    Platinum Founder

I played a lot of Kingdom Hearts 3 since release, the graphics of this game are nothing short of incredible. I had to stop playing the game in Toy Story World, just to look around at how incredible this game looks.

That begs the question, do we really need PS5 this fast? This is the first generation where I really feel like PS4 Pro or Xbox One X have yet to reach their potential, they're jumping too fast.

3. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

We don't need it, but the new generations aren't based on what we need it's based on how their creators make money and stay in the race. Since the XBOX One failed miserably Microsoft has been focussing on a new product. If they release that and Sony has no answer they will lose out. That's their strategy anyway. There is of course no way to be sure if they would actually lose anything, but there you have it.

4. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Well I think that is where it gets interesting, look at Nintendo's strategy; They typically produce mediocre hardware and rely heavily on their games to make up for it and they tend to do really well. Sony learned that the hard way with the PS3, hardware cost can be incredible, the real money is in the software. Sega also learned the same lesson with the Dreamcast.

The only time the hardware gap makes a difference is in multi-platform titles. So the key to running on limited hardware is securing good IPs and developers.

5. Shadow Fox

Shadow Fox Enemy of the State
    Gold Founder

I never bought the PS3 or the PS4 so it's highly unlikely I will. I just don't dig console anymore since the computer has almost all the same games as they all do, but does them better. I guess there is some games my computer can't play, but the vast wealth of games that come out on steam is so overwhelmingly larger than what any console has ever provided that there is just no real reason to buy a console all just in order so that I can play dead whatever 2 and some stupid resident evil remakes, or some sorta exclusive when it first comes out when I get steam sales that lets me buy dozens of games for under 5 bucks each that I could have a lot of fun with.

I don't even want a switch since all the switch is is like 95% ports, remakes and the rest all games that are first party titles that are inbetween Meh and "that looks ok".

#25 Shadow Fox, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  6. Cameron Taylor

I currently have my PS4, and it's certainly adequate. I don't know what all of the benefits of the PS5 will be, but I'm sure I'll wait a good while before I'll even consider purchasing another console. I'm especially not going to pay an insane price for a new console. Once the PS5 has been out for a year or two, we'll see what the price goes down to then. There's really no reason to even think about upgrading though, until the online play starts falling apart.