Writing Resources

Discussion in 'Writer's Cafe' started by KT Samurai, May 28, 2016.

1. KT Samurai

KT Samurai The Peacemaker
    Staff Member Administrator "Owner"

This is a collection of writing-related resources designed to help you bring your ideas to life.

Creative Writing
    The hero with a thousand faces. A great place to start, but by no means the only way to write.

This sticky is a work in progress. Feel free to add resources of your own!

2. Alca

Alca Composer
    Bronze Founder

Stephen King's On Writing is a must in my opinion. You can start by reading through this little list which briefly covers the fundamentals and also talks a little about the process itself, but I recommend that any aspiring writer picks up the full book. It's a really comprehensive guide and practically invaluable. Stephen King doesn't actually happen to be my favourite author, but his style pretty much exemplifies everything about quality writing.

#2 Alca, May 28, 2016
    Last edited: May 28, 2016
  3. Xaestalrasz

Xaestalrasz Splendiferous Wizardess
    Platinum Founder

4. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Not really a writing resource, but more of a hack (for lack of a better word): To get a feel for rhythm, voice, and technique, type out some passages from your favorite authors. I'm browsing a book of collected interviews with Hunter S. Thompson a friend gave me, and he keeps mentioning this as a way to work on your personal voice. It can even beat writer's block if you're stuck in a rut.

5. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

I tip I heard from I don't know who.

If you know what's going to happen next, that's when you stop writing for the day.

6. Moe

Moe Fed to the Rancor

...How is that a good tip? A tip I have is never use the word "it" when that can be use to describe something.

7. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

It's so that you don't run out of things to write. We've all experienced it before. We write a ton one day and then the next day we have nothing to write so we end up benching the story for days or weeks.

8. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

9. Teg

Teg Newbie

Scribophile is a great, members-only website for writers. Not only do they have a ton of articles about the dos and don'ts of writing, you are able to share your writing for detailed critique in several different forms. A lot of indie authors have most of their editing done by peer critiques and I've seen a ton of authors on Scrib get published. A lot of their articles are written by famous authors and others by not so famous people. But, the stories you can read and become a part of are amazing. Plus there are a ton of helpful groups as well. Just a thought.

Kuze likes this.