Action Yona of the Dawn (Akatsuki no Yona)

Discussion in 'Anime & Manga Reviews' started by J4sm1n4, Jun 28, 2016.

1. J4sm1n4

J4sm1n4 The Queen of Hell and Heaven
    Contributor

Series: Akatsuki no Yona

Alt Title: Yona of the Dawn

Release Date: Oct 7, 2014

Genre: Action, Adventure, Shoujo, Fantasy, Comedy, Romance, Reverse Harem.

Director: Kazuhiro Yoneda

Writer: Shinichi Inotsume

Creator: Kusanagi, Mizuho

Number of episodes: 24

[​IMG]

Overview:

Princess Yona lives a life of luxury and ease, completely sheltered from the problems of the seemingly peaceful Kingdom of Kouka; however, the sudden murder of the king and betrayal of her beloved cousin Su-won places Yona's life in mortal peril. Forced to escape only with Son Hak, who is both her childhood friend and bodyguard, the naïve princess soon discovers that Kouka is not the idyllic place she envisioned it to be. Poverty, strife, and corruption run rampant, making reclaiming the throne nothing more than a wishful fantasy given the kingdom's current state.

Personal Opinion:

Shoujo anime is meant for girls. It’s usually romantic anime with stupid overly-dramatic misunderstandings, jealousy and denial and Akatsuki no Yona was shoujo anime with reverse harem and action. Triple the trouble.

First of all, The plot was quite boring. It had its moments, but that’s it. It wasn’t exciting nor was it gripping. Honestly felt like a cheap knock off of Arslan Senki only with a female protagonist, a romance aspect and cringy moments. You get multiple guys falling for and protecting one girl that is a weakling and bound to get herself in mortal danger over and over again. You get those cringy, cliché romantic moments that are ruined by the girl’s obliviousness. Basically it was an ordinary shoujo anime with action.

Second, the main character was weak, a crybaby, and a sheltered princess. Over the course of series she certainly developed as a character. She grew stronger emotionally and learned how to fight. Sometimes even leaving me wondering “How the hell is this development possible?” since it felt more like she completely changed her personality. Even if she became stronger that didn’t make her a likable character. Honestly, if Yona wasn’t the main character the story might have been good.

Other main characters were interesting. They were well developed and their personalities were different which made the anime dynamic. The most interesting character was Soo-won. I really wanted to know more about him and what he plans to do with the country, but sadly he only appeared in 10 or so episodes and only 3-5 episodes showed him doing duties as a king. Those 3-5 episodes were the most interesting episodes in the whole anime. It raised many questions and makes viewer wonder if Soo-won was a good guy or bad. Since he kills Yonas father at first he is portrayed as a bad guy, but I just can’t see him as a bad guy. He is a caring king that loves his country, his friends and is prepared to do anything in order to save his country, even betray his friends. His duty to his kingdom and friends is the most compelling thing about him. Since he can’t have both, so he has to choose and this is also one of the reasons why I think he is more fit to rule than Yona. He is able to sacrifice his personal happiness for the country which I don’t think Yona would be able to do.

What annoyed me the most was that Yonas ”mission” was unnecessary and done with no motivation or plan for what’s to come after she has accomplished it. It was just like a child that wanted a toy and got it for no real reason. Also, I wanted her to struggle a little more to complete her “mission” like Arslan did in Arslan Senki, but no luck. She just did it. This was really anti-climactic in my opinion.

The animation was great. It looked smooth and nice, befitting a shoujo anime. Characters' expressions and action scenes were very detailed, made the anime livelier.

The art style was beautiful. Character designs were gorgeous and color play in panoramas was breath taking. The scenery was detailed and beautifully done.

The music was nothing special. The OST was classical. It fitted this anime and made it feel more connected to what the anime was trying to portray. The opening and ending songs were not to my taste.

Overall, Akatsuki no Yona is an ordinary shoujo anime with an unlikable main character, plot holes, but a beautiful art style, cute character designs and good dynamic between the characters' personalities. I recommend it to people who love romance and shoujo anime with action.

7/10

2. tripplej

tripplej Active Member

I just finished this series. I wish there will be another season.. I enjoyed it.

3. Novaire

Novaire Wrestling Enthusiast, Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

One of my favorite shows in the past few years, really good stuff. I find myself really disagreeing with your assessment, as I quite liked Yona as a character, and felt that the story was played well. The first two episodes (I think anyway, it's been a bit so I can't remember exactly when things kicked off) were very exciting.

I can't be bothered to read the source material though, assuming there is more than what was adapted into the series, so I'd really like to see a second season, but I think the time for that is quickly slipping away, if it isn't long gone already.

#3 Novaire, Aug 2, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017