Personal Your religious views

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Lucian Hodoboc, Jan 28, 2019.

?

Which are your religious views

1. Believer (in God and / or afterlife)

27.8%
  2. Atheist (nonbeliever in God and / or afterlife)

44.4%
  3. Agnostic (thinking that God is unknowable)

16.7%
  4. Other answer (reply to thread to explain it)

11.1%
  1. Lucian Hodoboc

Lucian Hodoboc New Member

Let's have a serious discussion about our religious beliefs within the boundaries of the community's rules. Do not try to proselytize, attack other people's beliefs or resort to anything that might cause conflict.

Simply share your religious beliefs and tell us a bit about why you adhere to said beliefs (whether it's because they were taught to you by your family, because you developed them on your own or whatever other reason). :)

Personally, I'm an Eastern-Orthodox Christian. I was baptized and raised into this Christian worldview and, while I have struggled with some of its teachings, I don't find myself able (for the time being) to explore all other religions of the world in order to see whether another religion would resonate with me more than Christianity does. :unsure:

Your turn.

2. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

I'm from a family of Catholics (dad's side) and orthodox Reformed, Protestant (mom's side). Both my mom and my dad dropped their religion before we were born. So naturally me and my sister have no religion either. Religion in my country is deminishing every year. About 60% of the country has no religion or is atheist.

We got along very well with the family, especially with the highly religious part. Even though they believe we will go to hell they asked me to carry my grandma's and aunt's coffin on the funeral.

I went to a Catholic school and there we had bible class where not only the christian religion, but rather all religions were covered. Which was actually kind of interesting.

I do have to add that being an atheist is kind of a bummer. I rather believe I get to party for an unlimited amount of time after I die.

3. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

I guess my view is that it doesn't really matter whether or not a god, or many gods exist. What matters is what we do. Praying for a cancer patient won't necessarily yield a good thing, but bringing flowers and a smile will.

Back in my time with the church I saw a lot of good people doing good things, and they weren't doing good things for favors, promises, or threats. They were doing it because they were good people.

Maybe it's weird but, I don't really believe there is anything after we die, and I don't consider that a "bad" thing, it's just a thing that happens. I don't think the universe cares about us, and whatever genetics or memes we pass on will inevitably fade to nothing because there won't be anything left in this universe. But that's not a "bad" thing, it's just the way it is. I don't say these things to be depressing, it's the ultimate sense of agency. it's liberating. It means we get to decide what matters to us. We get to decide who we are, what we do, and what gives meaning to us.

There's a kind of spirituality I experience when I play music, interact with friends, or look at the stars, it's this being in the moment where everything matters to me. I think people should be open to inspiration from many sources, and that they should lead a fulfilling life. Religions are one of many paths toward that kind of feeling, but they certainly aren't the only path.

#3 ThisGuy, Jan 28, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  4. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

My family wasn't religious in the slightest, so I basically just became an apatheist. Since religion was never a big part of my life, I never felt too strongly for or against it.

5. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

I do have to add this one:

6. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I'm a Catholic, so naturally, I do believe in an afterlife. I don't believe my loved ones are just gone. I've had people put some of my weirder experiences down to coincidence, and luck, or some form of psychic abilities or senses that can be explained by a science that is yet to be solved. That's okay, they are free to believe that, but I definitely believe my grandparents have been there for me on a couple of occasions during my life. :)

7. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Im in between agnostic and atheist. I dont attend a service and never have. But i dont believe purely science or judt the observable world. Too much odd stuff happens for me to discount some kind of divine intervention. "Dumb luck" does exist but too much odd stuff happens to stick it all in that category.

I think there is some kind of higher power. I fully believe in science and how nature and the universe works. What i dont think theyll ever be able to quantify is how life truly started. Even the big bang is a bit of a cheat. If you take the theory it came from a collision with another universe where did the other universe come from? I think the orderly world has some helping hand some where. Were here figuring all the ins and outs but the big HOW and WHY are much more philosophical.

I also like to think of an afterlife. Nothingness doesnt apeal to me. Id like to think of it more like stargate where we "ascend" to a higher plane. That would be something nice to think about.

So that might be a bit of a contradiction to be fully into evolution and the big bang theory (the real universe not the tv show;:D) while still beliving in the spiritual. I guess you could call it skepticism. I dont believe science will ever know everything. I also cant strictly follow any one religion.

I hope that makes sense. I also hope thst doesnt offend anyone as im trying to point out where i stand and not outright discount any single viewpoint.

8. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

Coming from an Episcopal family, my mother felt obligated to make sure that I attended services and Sunday school until I reached the age of confirmation. Once I had that certification I was allowed to chose if I wanted to keep up the routine or not. I chose not, although we still did the holiday stuff for a while.
    For the longest time I considered myself to be agnostic, but then I realized that really didn’t mean much and now consider myself to be atheist. The second to last sentence in Lucien’s post pretty much sums it up, if you think that there is a religion out there that will resonate with you, then you are probably not a believer. Kind of like being an agnostic because you want to keep your options open. If there were some supreme being watching over you they would see right through that. I have a real problem with various denominations claiming exclusive rights to the “one true god” as they like to say. What are you supposed to do, start choosing sides like they were running for political office? If I were really to chose something to follow, not that I would, the thing that almost makes sense is the Hare Krishnas. Rather than claim exclusivity, they embrace all religions by saying that everyone’s god, by whatever name they use, is the same god Vishnu. From that point on their purpose is just to celebrate his presence in their lives. Hey, as long as it makes them happy. Same goes for any other belief, as long as it doesn’t involve me, have at it.

9. Grungie

Grungie Well-Known Member
    Contributor

I wouldn’t say it’s contradictory, I think it’s only a problem when people think that science and religion are mutually exclusive and if you support one, it’s impossible to follow the other. There’s a spectrum to these things, so it’s not like there’s a hard and fast rule, or law, saying “beliving in evolution = atheist” no matter how much people try to act like it is.

So yes, it’s entirely possible to have both.

10. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

I think it's very possible to be both atheist and spiritual. Besides Atheist means the disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. Has nothing to do with evolution or big bang. You can believe the earth is flat and be an atheist at the same time.

11. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

@Grungie and aeon - good points. These days it seems like people pin everything into all or nothing. There are always shades of gray.

12. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I'm an atheist. I was born an atheist, and I have remained an atheist.
    My mom and dad both hate the church, my dad enough to request that they remove the sacraments and delete him from the church records.
    My parents are kinda undecided, my dad thinks there's some higher power, and my mom is an agnostic or something.

My mom, and dad have never talked about religion when I was a kid, I did, however, tear into various documentaries and national geographic magazines (as a kindergarten boy). My opinions have been formed as early as kindergarten.
    This persisted through my younger years, when I didn't really care much about religion, and would simply dismiss it as BS when I encountered it. Fast forward to now, I grew to be an anti-theist, but also more open-minded.

I don't believe because there is no evidence to prove the existence of any kind of deity or deities. Since I don't want to burn in hell for all eternity, I've allowed people to try and convert me, but you can see how well that went.
    Other then "evidence", I've run into the occasional appeal to the spiritual "can't you see how special everything is?" and the like.
    Quite frankly, I don't see anything special, nothing has purpose, when you die it's over, and everything has an explanation.
    I found myself wishing that I could believe at times, would make things so much easier, but I can't do it

Also, is it a new trend to post everything 3 times in a row?

I would rather not be stuck anywhere, doing anything for an eternity. It all becomes torture with eternity in the equation.

That's not even close to what the Big Bang Theory actually proposes.
    https://www.big-bang-theory.com/

#12 Matemar, Jan 30, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    Novaire likes this.
  13. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

What i was trying to say is there is a subset theory that says the big bang was caused by collisions of other universes:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/multiverse-proof-possibility-from-colliding-universes-20141110/

There are episodes on it in the history channels the universe series and the more recent currently airing how the universe works series on the scirnce channel.

Basically two universes that are parallel to each other tap one another and that intersection causes an explosion that creates another universe. What i was grtting at was that is a great possibility but it still diesnt answer where the other universes came from. That's where the spirituality comes into play. I think science can describe events but not necessarily the moment of creation.

Also i think there is a forum bug thsts causing posting errors. Im sure their looking into it.

14. ThisGuy

ThisGuy Kin of the Cosmos
    Platinum Founder

Well science gives us models. Big Bang theory doesn't explain how, why, or what was before the big bang. If I had to come up with an analogy for Big Bang theory:

Imagine coming home to your house, you see some marbles in the hallway, you follow the marbles and see there are more marbles as you get closer to the kitchen. When you get to the kitchen you see broken glass and many marbles everywhere. Big bang theory basically says that due to the observations of the broken glass, the marbles, their patterns that at some time all the marbles were in the jar at some point before the jar broke. It doesn't explain who put the marbles in the jar, why the marbles are in the jar, or where the jar came from. It just says based on what we can tell it looks like at some point everything in our universe existed at a single point and from that point has expanded.

We have simulations and models of what could have been before the event, but the reality is we don't have anything testable right now. So all we really "know" is what we've observed: at some point it looks like everything in our universe existed at a single point and from that point everything expanded. As we pay more attention, invent new tools, and make new discoveries we will refine that model. It may be that in 10 years we have a completely different understanding of the same phenomenon, that's how science works.

#14 ThisGuy, Jan 31, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  15. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

To be fair unlimited does not equate eternity. Unlimited means to have no limit, not going on forever. The first representing the lack of inhibition the second being going on forever. Lack of inhibition doesn't mean I'm going on forever. I could if I wanted to. That's the difference.

16. Matemar

Matemar The Crow

I never understood or felt the need to explain things with spirituality. I'm content with not knowing, and wondering about the truth for the rest of my life.
    I simply do not know, trying to fill the lack of knowledge with religion seems very foolish to me.

Yeah, I guess I just jumped straight to eternity, since that's generally how afterlife is described.

17. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

I don't think that this is the case at all. I am of the belief that all of them are the same God, just that people pray in different ways. Different parts of the world have had different experiences, so their belief systems are different. Christians believe in a Holy Trinity (Father, Son and Holy Spirit), but even if you are talking to a priest, they have different explanations for it. They can't really say with certainty if it is three physical persons, or if all three are the same individual. Other religions have quite similar beliefs. They all might like to think that their faith is the true one, but I don't think that they believe they are praying to different "one true" Gods. I've had this discussion with people from different faiths and none of them have ever claimed that their God is a different one than mine, only that they call him by a different name. I'm not sure about those religions that have many Gods, but then again, as a Christian, I'd just be thinking... hmm, they're sorta praying to the same God we are but they think there's a different individual watching over different things. Don't Christians believe that there are particular saints to pray to in order to help them with different aspects of life.

In the Christian faith, "Thou shall not have strange gods before me", this isn't referring to actual gods, it's talking about money, greed, promiscuity and so on. Fundamentalist Christians might take this literally because many of them represent the worst of Christianity (zealots), but I do not believe that it was meant in the literal sense.

18. Aeon

Aeon Senior Member

Oh come on that isn't true. That biblical line was introduced to destroy the old religions of Europe.

19. Vaulient

Vaulient Newbie

I'm from a Hindu family and ever since young I was always asked to read religous texts, go to the temple, pray to the Gods for prosperity and protection and all that. For a time, I really did all those things, thinking that there are powerful forces out there known as Gods guiding and watching us. But then I grew up. Things make sense to me, nothing seemed logical. 7 billion people on earth, trillions of stars, planets and galaxies and God is only focused on us? Doesn't make sense. The more I ventured into science the more clarity I got of existence. Now, I'm an atheist but I nothing against any religions.

20. Pinky The Blue Flamingo

Pinky The Blue Flamingo Too old for this shit
    Staff Advisory Editor-in-Chief Gold Founder

My family was Christian secular until we moved to the bible belt, then my sister and i were shuttled off to church every Sunday with the neighbors. I used to enjoy it, but as I got older I started having more and more issues with their sense of logic and approach to the nature of humanity, as well as how people were held (or in the case of men and sexual misconduct, not held) accountable for their actions.
    I left the church when I was in college and haven't been back since.
    For awhile I considered myself an atheist, but these days I identify as an agnostic. I enjoy talking about theology and the social contexts of the scripture then vs now, but I have no desire to go back to a system I find, in some cases, to be detrimental to its members. I have a lot of baggage when it comes to organized religion, and until some pretty major issues are addressed I wont have any interest in going back.

Ultimately, Ive got no issues with what people want to believe as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else or outright deny reality.