Your Top 10 Anime

Discussion in 'Anime' started by 4xdblack, Oct 15, 2017.

1. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Seriously.. This site has been up for how many years? How have we not had this thread yet?

Okay, the premise is simple.. List your top 10 favorite anime! (And Why)

Here's mine:

1. One Punch Man - Pure and blatant Bias. No other reason. This anime is perfection.

2. Rainbow Nisha - By far one of the most emotional anime I've ever watched. This one sits in your Plan to watch list for years, but when you finally watch it, I guarantee you'll love it.

3. Re:Zero - The main reason that I loved this series so much is because of the main character. He's relatable, self-aware, and hilarious. Plus unlike most anime, he's a strong protagonist in terms of smarts and guts.

4. Boku no hero Academia - This anime is just pure uncut hype. I can't go a single episode without flailing my arms around and screaming "Woooooo!".

5. Parasyte: The Maxim - This is one of the few philosophical anime that I actually enjoyed. Most of the time I feel like the philosophy gets lost in translation.. But with Parasyte, you grow with the MC and reach the same questions he does. The character development is through the roof though. If you liked spiderman, you'll probably like parasyte too.

6. Steins;Gate - This is the first anime that had a plot twist that actually took me by surprise. The story is also fantastic, but what I loved the most was the main character. His eccentric personality made it all the more enjoyable. For this one, I highly recommend the dubbed version.

7. Psycho-pass - Another philosophical anime which I loved.. But what made this one stand out was it's sheer cinematography. It wasn't like watching an anime.. It was like reading a book. Each scene meticulously thought out and detailed to bring out the most of every second.

8. Hunter x Hunter - When I first picked up this anime, I was hooked from the very first second.. The setting, the music, the ambiance.. Everything about this anime sucked me into it's world. I couldn't put it down until I finished it. I went from watching on average 6 episodes a day, to 10-12 episodes a day. It was one of the first times I experienced watching an anime that made me forget about the outside world.

9. K project - Let's talk animation... This anime is fucking beautiful to look at.. The animation is mind blowing. Some people weren't really interested in the story, but I personally really loved the theme and story. I also really loved the characters.

10. Black Lagoon - Once again, this is another anime where I fell in love with the MC. Someone who knows what to say and when to say it.. Who can fight with his mind more than his fists.. And someone who can take charge in the face of danger. And then you thrust him into a world where everyone uses nothing but fists to fight. How can you not love him?

#1 4xdblack, Oct 15, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. Kuze

Kuze Heaven's not enough
    Contributor

I need a new top 10 anime list. It's been so static for ages except for a few newcomer titles.

3. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Lets see

Sao
    Log horizon
    Spice and wolf
    Kampfer
    Your lie in april
    Flying witch
    Madoka magica
    Kobayashi maid dragon
    Robotech
    Heavy object

This is a fluid list. I could sub wixoss for madoka. I could put hundred or aesthetica of a rogue hero or infinite stratos for log horizon

I wanted to have a list that mixes old and new. Drama and echhi.

4. Griffmeister

Griffmeister What the hell are you staring at?
    Gold Founder

That's right, all are subject to change. As of now....

1) Ghost in the Shell, in all it's forms for the most part.
    2) Steins;Gate , when are they doing the new season for the alt. ending?
    3) Re:Zero , definitely awesome.
    4) Psyco-pass , makes you think.
    5) Assassination Classroom , this one was so funny.
    6) Clannad and Clannad After Story , I put them together since it's really one story.
    7) Your Lie in April , oh that ending.
    8) Waiting in the Summer , a fun slice-of-life that felt longer than it's 12 eps, in a good way.
    9) A Certain _______ ______ , fill in the blanks. The same people in the same place, two shows that overlap each other.
    10) SAO , yeah, I invested a lot of time in this one, some parts better than others but the characters grew on me.

It's not that I didn't enjoy any other shows, there were plenty that were fun to watch. But then there were those that just made you go " Huh ?".

yoda313 likes this.
  5. wesleyv1

wesleyv1 Mokoto "revy" kino

Sailormoon(it was the first anime i ever saw and will always be special to me)
    akb0048(i just love the characters and the story soo much and hope they continue it at some point)
    aquarion(it's a really good mech show with some really good thems and an awesome story)
    clannad(great story and the visuals a amazing)
    jormungand(great action, story, and characters)
    Black lagoon(same as jormungand but more swearing)
    Oban star racers(not big on racing but this one is good with a great story at its core)
    strike whitches(this one is just fun with a bunch of girls from around the world who don't like wearing pants for some reason)
    girls und panzer(girls and tanks....nuff said)
    Blue drop(this one is really touching and is special to me because it was one of the first animes i ever owned)

#5 wesleyv1, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
    yoda313 likes this.
  6. yoda313

yoda313 JEDI MASTER
    Platinum Founder

Excellent list! Glad to see girls und panzer get a nod.

7. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

How about you edit your posts to explain WHY they are in your top 10, especially, your top 3. When people write list posts like this, there is no real point to it. It's just a spammy list post. "I like this anime" and I'm thinking... "and why should I care?" If you want to reach out to someone who hasn't seen the anime you love most, then give them a reason to check them out.

8. wesleyv1

I prefer to put information out in the open and then answer questions when they come up. My reasons are my own but if you wanna know them then I'll be glad to answer your questions

I feel the ova is particularly underrated, if you're a fan of the show i highly recommend it

#8 wesleyv1, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2017
    yoda313 likes this.
  9. Shannon Apple

Shannon Apple Sour Apple
    Staff Member Administrator

That's my point. No one is going to ask questions about a list post. They are just gonna go "yay here's my top 10" and never actually think about what is in everyone else's list. I haven't seen most of the shows listed here, but nothing compels me to talk more about them, or ask any further questions since there isn't any information provided in the first place. People need a talking point.

This conversation is taking the thread off topic. Anyway, example usually starts with the OP. People generally mimic what the first person does.

10. 4xdblack

4xdblack Accomplished Booty-Cop
    Silver Founder Plus

Sorry, It felt a little pretentious to brag about my favorite anime in the OP, I'll change it real quick though.

Shannon Apple likes this.
  11. wesleyv1

Edited mine too

Shannon Apple likes this.
  12. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

1. Rurouni Kenshin - Balanced mature themes with typical shonen fare.
    2. Slam Dunk - Had memorable characters and a believable journey for the main character; also effortlessly combined basketball lessons with a good storyline.
    3. Hajime no Ippo - Sometimes dragged at Dragonball-levels of pacing, but the matches make the wait worth it.
    4. Cowboy Bebop - The show just oozes coolness, from the soundtrack, to the dialogue, and the characters.
    5. Samurai Champloo - What Bebop did for jazz, this one did for hip-hop.
    6. Osomatsu-san - The funniest series I've seen in recent history.
    7. Black Lagoon - It made the most out of its B-movie premise of hired mercenaries, armed goons, and a salaryman caught in the middle of it all.
    8. Baccano! - Made a neat little package of a mystery, an urban legend, jazz, and 1930's-era mobsters, all told with a non-linear storyline.
    9. Durarara!! - It was so good at making a fictional setting come alive, that the city itself became a side character on its own.
    10. Azumanga Daioh - Funny and heartfelt; makes the typical Japanese high school girl an actual girl instead of something to ogle at.

Since I've got a bunch of other series on my backburner, I'm pretty sure the list is going to change in a few months or so. Honorable mentions include: School Rumble and Bleach. I only took 'em out, because I had too many comedy series on the list and because Bleach's fillers really bogged down the show's quality.

13. Novaire

Novaire Serial Editor
    Editor Contributor Gold Founder

As a disclaimer, there's a good chance that there will be a change to this list in the next half hour, so this is more of a rough illustration of some things I like. I'm very indecisive, so no numbers either. I've also gotta have movies, as otherwise, there's gonna be even more filler that otherwise wouldn't have made the list.
    • Howl's Moving Castle, which is pretty much a perfect film in my opinion. I can't think of anything that could've been done to improve the film, it had its story and it played it out as one would expect. It didn't try to be overly philosophical or anything of the sort, and sometimes, a simple story is as good as it gets.
    • Perfect Blue, which I consider to be my favorite horror film period. It isn't a scary film, and, in fact, I cant think of many in the horror genre that are, but it has an effective atmosphere and is incredibly suspenseful. It's my favorite Kon film that I've seen thus far, but it sits among good company in that respect.
    • The Daughter of Twenty Faces, although it has some problems toward the end, I found it incredibly captivating. Chihiro is a great lead, and one of the early events in the story is incredibly well-played. I only wish that someone had translated the Manga at some point, as I'd love to read it, and the same thought goes toward the Ranpo Edogawa stories that it is very loosely based on.
    • Ghost Hunt is a series that I've re-watched many times and still love. The presentation is exactly the way I wanted something like this to be. It's a shame that it received an adaptation before the manga's story was complete, so the anime leaves off early, but regardless, I enjoyed it greatly at the time, and I still do.
    • Medabots, something I loved when I was younger that has really maintained it's quality with funny dialogue and awesome character designs. I really have a great amount of affection for this franchise, although the second anime, which is sort-of a pseudo-sequel/re-adaptation rather than a direct sequel, I am not as big of a fan of. It's alright though because the original is still so much fun.
    Over the years, I've realized that I can't definitively put together that many anime I consider my definitive favorites, so the latter half of the list is a little bit iffy, but it's still made up of stuff I liked a lot.
    • Paprika, which is another excellent Satoshi Kon flick, this one with a distinct visual flair and a compelling story. It isn't quite as good as Perfect Blue for me personally, but that's subjective, and again, it does look a hell of a lot better with perhaps the greatest art direction of any of Kon's pictures.
    • Black Jack, which was probably the closest to making the top five, and would've had I only used television series, is a great light-hearted medical drama with a lot of heart. The series is all about individual stories and follows Black Jack as those stories develop, and it works out great.
    • Detective Conan, is a good show, if an incredibly bloated one, with an excellent film series behind it. I've rated most of the ones that I've seen at respective eights, and if I am anything, it is not a generous grader. The others aren't far behind either, and the show definitely has moments of brilliance on its own, but I'm not anywhere near dedicated enough to keep up with it.
    • Trigun is damn good. I haven't seen the show in... probably a decade, but I still remember it vividly. If I had it more firmly in my mind, it would probably push even further into the list. It's got something for everyone: well-directed action, with comedy woven in nicely, as well as quality character designs, and fantastic set pieces, particularly for a show that is mostly confined to the desert.
    • Spice & Wolf, a sort-of adventure romance series, which is carried almost entirely by the two leads, and it actually works out very well. Lawrence and Holo are very likable, and ultimately, in a piece like this, which is entirely character driven, that's the most important thing. At one time, this was my favorite series, but it's been such a long time that I don't have as much of an attachment to it currently. I'd like to re-watch it at some point.
    I hope to see this list change over the coming months as I whittle away at my backlog and finish up the Gundam series I'm currently checking out. I'll also be watching some things again to see how they stack up, and I'm sure things will flow on and off in the meantime.

#13 Novaire, Oct 17, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2017
  14. Tonto-banchou

Tonto-banchou "Well-Known" Member
    Editor Contributor Social Media Team

Very cool that you describe this as a horror movie. It's the one that made me a Kon believer - before this, the only other film I watched was Tokyo Godfathers. After Perfect Blue, I knew I had to watch everything else he directed.

Novaire likes this.